The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

Best way I found was threading wire then twisting it tight. Boom
I tried, but it was a tiny bit of wire and I just couldnt get it to work.

Update. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes helping my friend with his playground area. But I took a break early on while he went to lowes and worked on my bike.

Got the shifting going up and down pretty smooth. I think the limits and tension are good. Got 3mm spacers(all I could find) but my bolts were too short, but since my chainring is threaded, I used the jackets from the old chainring and got myself like a mm closer to better chainline.

Nervously played with the hanger a bit to cock it out, but I have a weak eye for that stuff.

Issue is the outer side of the chain rubs on the outer part of the derailleur at the lower jockey wheel in the lowest 4 gears. I'm thinking that's the hanger not being straight? Also, my wheel seems to be pretty far out of true. Womp womp.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I tried, but it was a tiny bit of wire and I just couldnt get it to work.

Update. I got eaten alive by mosquitoes helping my friend with his playground area. But I took a break early on while he went to lowes and worked on my bike.

Got the shifting going up and down pretty smooth. I think the limits and tension are good. Got 3mm spacers(all I could find) but my bolts were too short, but since my chainring is threaded, I used the jackets from the old chainring and got myself like a mm closer to better chainline.

Nervously played with the hanger a bit to cock it out, but I have a weak eye for that stuff.

Issue is the outer side of the chain rubs on the outer part of the derailleur at the lower jockey wheel in the lowest 4 gears. I'm thinking that's the hanger not being straight? Also, my wheel seems to be pretty far out of true. Womp womp.
You sure you got the right size chain?

TimBay

Lack of pictures!
I'll snap a bunch tomorrow. Wish I saw this as I just got back in from playing with it a bit more.

Looks a bit like the first 2 images. I think the chainline is a little out as well. Thinking a new hanger and longer chainring bolts so I can use my spacers might get it done. The shifting itself is pretty good. Just that rubbing.

1558234720126.png
1558234720126.png

Tim

aka sptimmy43

I've got a derailleur hanger alignment tool. I'll bring it next time we ride. It will take about 5 minutes to get you all squared away assuming that's the problem.

TimBay

I've got a derailleur hanger alignment tool. I'll bring it next time we ride. It will take about 5 minutes to get you all squared away assuming that's the problem.
Thanks. I bet that'll take care of it

TimBay

chain could be short.
Did you use the chainring and largest cog plus 2 links guideline?
Yeah, I even inserted half of the master link. Maybe I did mess it up tho. Is there any way to add 1 link? Can I get a second master link and break/insert on the oposite end or is that asking for trouble?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Looks like a short chain for sure. RD is super forward.

As for derailleur alignment, I feel like there will always be some flex towards the inside like the pictures. It seems inevitable with 1x drivetrains with 11-12 speeds in the back. Some of the chain angles get large. As long as the inner jockey wheel is in line with the cassette, the bottom wheel shouldn't do too much to throw it off.

@TimBay You really don't want to have more than one quick link, but I've seen it on multiple occasions. Usually shouldn't cause issues.

TimBay

Looks like a short chain for sure. RD is super forward.

As for derailleur alignment, I feel like there will always be some flex towards the inside like the pictures. It seems inevitable with 1x drivetrains with 11-12 speeds in the back. Some of the chain angles get large. As long as the inner jockey wheel is in line with the cassette, the bottom wheel shouldn't do too much to throw it off.

@TimBay You really don't want to have more than one quick link, but I've seen it on multiple occasions. Usually shouldn't cause issues.
I think it's either that or new chain, right? I might just snag another master link today and see if that at least solves the issue rubbing... Then I can just order a new chain. It's funny how taking the pics, it seemed like the derailleur is less out of whack and I noticed more how far stretched it was for the 46t. That said, I'm getting the grinding on the lowest 4 gears, not just the 46...could that still be because of chain length?

qclabrat

also check the B-screw, may be too far in, how much gap is between the largest cog and top jockey wheel?

qclabrat

I think it's either that or new chain, right? I might just snag another master link today and see if that at least solves the issue rubbing... Then I can just order a new chain. It's funny how taking the pics, it seemed like the derailleur is less out of whack and I noticed more how far stretched it was for the 46t. That said, I'm getting the grinding on the lowest 4 gears, not just the 46...could that still be because of chain length?
Can't you just pop back in the a link you took off?

qclabrat

also that lack of cover plate on the outlet is annoying me.
I have a extras at home, come by and I'll leave in my mailbox...

TimBay

Can't you just pop back in the a link you took off?
Well, I popped it totally off, but there we're a few, so I could loosed the pin and get it one back on. Maybe I'll try that first.

One other question. When I get it sorted, should I degrease it and relube woth the stufd I normally use? (White lightning clean ride)

Top Bottom