The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

Well, started off pretty great.

Think I over tightened the plastic crank cap thing. Which rounded the bolt trying to back it out. Meh.

My issue now is shifting. Cand get the shifter to go down gear beyond 9 clicks and really hax to force the 9th click. Also getting some bad grinding in the lower half of the gears. So I'm thinking a couple things.

1. Chainline issue? The 30t chainring had spacers built into it to clear the chain, but maybe I need a little more? The bottom sproket holder part of the derailleur seems to be rubbing on the side of the chain.

2. Bent hanger? It kinda looks like it's bent in toward the wheel slightly, but I have a terrible eye for that sort of thing.

Anyine know why I can only shift down 9 gears? It's the shifter that seems to be giving up, not the derailleur. I decided to pull the inner cable just to make sure i had up the highest gear prior to ibstalling the cable...i did. But now I need a new cable. I knew I should have bought an extra few today. (And now I'm remembering Tim told me to get an extra and I forgot since I got the second one for my dropper.

Well there you have it. I have to help a friend build a playset for his yard tomorrow, but hopefully I can grab a bunch of cables from toms cyclery who's going out of business. FML.

qclabrat

Well, started off pretty great.

Think I over tightened the plastic crank cap thing. Which rounded the bolt trying to back it out. Meh.

My issue now is shifting. Cand get the shifter to go down gear beyond 9 clicks and really hax to force the 9th click. Also getting some bad grinding in the lower half of the gears. So I'm thinking a couple things.

1. Chainline issue? The 30t chainring had spacers built into it to clear the chain, but maybe I need a little more? The bottom sproket holder part of the derailleur seems to be rubbing on the side of the chain.

2. Bent hanger? It kinda looks like it's bent in toward the wheel slightly, but I have a terrible eye for that sort of thing.

Anyine know why I can only shift down 9 gears? It's the shifter that seems to be giving up, not the derailleur. I decided to pull the inner cable just to make sure i had up the highest gear prior to ibstalling the cable...i did. But now I need a new cable. I knew I should have bought an extra few today. (And now I'm remembering Tim told me to get an extra and I forgot since I got the second one for my dropper.

Well there you have it. I have to help a friend build a playset for his yard tomorrow, but hopefully I can grab a bunch of cables from toms cyclery who's going out of business. FML.
Is this 11spd? Are you getting ten click without the cable? Sounds like too much tension on the cable

TimBay

Just read I might have over tightenes the cable...but i actually had to add tension to get it to down shift and it upshifted perfectly.

TimBay

Is this 11spd? Are you getting ten click without the cable? Sounds like too much tension on the cable
Didnt count. Not going Back out right now since its a detatched garage snd skunks have been out. I'll try tomorrow.

The lower part of the mech seemed to be tilted inward toward the wheel. I'm wondering if that's from a bent hanger.

qclabrat

Didnt count. Not going Back out right now since its a detatched garage snd skunks have been out. I'll try tomorrow.

The lower part of the mech seemed to be tilted inward toward the wheel. I'm wondering if that's from a bent hanger.
Could be bent, but shouldn't prevent shifting

TimBay

Could be bent, but shouldn't prevent shifting
The high and low limit just stop it at the highest and lowest gears. Maybe the b limit is off? Maybe I didnt set the wheel in well (didnt notice any issue but wasn't looking straight down it either)? Maybe the chainline is preventing it from moving over?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The high and low limit just stop it at the highest and lowest gears. Maybe the b limit is off? Maybe I didnt set the wheel in well (didnt notice any issue but wasn't looking straight down it either)? Maybe the chainline is preventing it from moving over?

without the cable attached, chain has to sit in the smallest cog (assuming that is the way the spring works like most der)
adjust limit as needed to make this happen.

pull on cable with hand and upshift (meaning release the cable) - tighten down cable to der. Start to downshift (which would be towards the larger cog)
count the clicks - at 10, it should make the largest cog. if the jockey wheel of the der is not 2-3mm below the largest cog, adjust b screw
to get it there. it may be preventing the downshift. also, the limit screw may be preventing the downshift - so see if it is bottomed on the screw.

report back! pictures and video too.

and yes, check that the wheel is seated, and the other little things.

BPaze

You have convinced me not to attempt mine tonight I dont want to mess it up prior to jungle and miss the ride. Going to drop it off at a shop after the ride and have them do it. I will try to put the 11x on the fatty when I return I am not worried about messing that bike up. I do plan to put some new bits on today but not going with the wheels and driveline just yet. I also kind of want the 29r wheels for Jungle

TimBay

hZx CD sch
You have convinced me not to attempt mine tonight I dont want to mess it up prior to jungle and miss the ride. Going to drop it off at a shop after the ride and have them do it. I will try to put the 11x on the fatty when I return I am not worried about messing that bike up. I do plan to put some new bits on today but not going with the wheels and driveline just yet. I also kind of want the 29r wheels for Jungle
Yeah I wouldnt mess with stuff nefore a ride...well, not after last time. I jist played with it. I think the low limit was a bit tight. Still sounds like shit in thw big cogs. Gonna get some spacers and maybe try to bend the derailleur back tonight. Gotta double check the be tension first when I get a cable in as that could cause the grinding. I'll get it. Just need some more time with it tonight.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Set you limit screws without a cable attached to the mech. You can do this visually. Then you need attach the cable. If it's too loose you won't be able to shift out of the 11T cog. Tighten just enough to get it to shift. Once it's shifting to the larger cogs you need to set the B-screw. I forget exactly but I think Shimano recommends 8mm gap when it's in the 46T.

Final thoughts. Make sure your chain is the correct length. If it's too short you won't be able to clear the bigger cogs. Also check and make sure you routed the chain through the derailleur correctly. Sounds silly but people route them wrong from time to time. The chain should not be touching anything other than the pulleys.

TimBay

Set you limit screws without a cable attached to the mech. You can do this visually. Then you need attach the cable. If it's too loose you won't be able to shift out of the 11T cog. Tighten just enough to get it to shift. Once it's shifting to the larger cogs you need to set the B-screw. I forget exactly but I think Shimano recommends 8mm gap when it's in the 46T.

Final thoughts. Make sure your chain is the correct length. If it's too short you won't be able to clear the bigger cogs. Also check and make sure you routed the chain through the derailleur correctly. Sounds silly but people route them wrong from time to time. The chain should not be touching anything other than the pulleys.
Yeah already fixed the misrouting of the derailleur. Next tool on my list is master link pliers. That wasn't fun

Top Bottom