The Amusement Bike Park

Its those group rides that mess you up.... you think your bike is ok then you see your friends riding carbon bikes and then you have to keep up with the jones
I was perfectly happy with my Talon until I started riding with others lol
Maybe when I get in shape, but I just blame my gut and lack of fitness for my slowness. When I get stronger and lighter personally, then I will blame the bike. That said, 11 speed here we go!

Maybe when I get in shape, but I just blame my gut and lack of fitness for my slowness. When I get stronger and lighter personally, then I will blame the bike. That said, 11 speed here we go!
See my thingy underneath my avatar? It says poser.... yep.... that's me!

See my thingy underneath my avatar? It says poser.... yep.... that's me!
From what I've seen people write, you can ride. You'd have finished ST if it wasn't miserable conditions. I'm fat. Therefore it's especially easy for me blame my fitness and weight rather than the bike, even though my bike is fucking rad and getting radder by the minute. Talon 4 life!

From what I've seen people write, you can ride. You'd have finished ST if it wasn't miserable conditions. I'm fat. Therefore it's especially easy for me blame my fitness and weight rather than the bike, even though my bike is fucking rad and getting radder by the minute. Talon 4 life!
I ride pretty conservatively and hardly take risks. I only ride what I know I can. Then there are times when I do get frisky which is not too often. And this is why my skills develop rather slowly. I can handle some of the tech but don't have the endurance. When ppl mention some of the techy climbs I made.... they neglect to tell you that I am pretty much dead afterwards. lol

I ride pretty conservatively and hardly take risks. I only ride what I know I can. Then there are times when I do get frisky which is not too often. And this is why my skills develop rather slowly. I can handle some of the tech but don't have the endurance. When ppl mention some of the techy climbs I made.... they neglect to tell you that I am pretty much dead afterwards. lol
I mostly ride with @Tim but have no clue if he ever gets gassed because he always gets a 2 minute rest at the top of each climb waiting for me. Hahaha. I'm pretty sure half the reason he's hooking me up with the slx is so he doesn't have to wait as long. Jk

I mostly ride with @Tim but have no clue if he ever gets gassed because he always gets a 2 minute rest at the top of each climb waiting for me. Hahaha. I'm pretty sure half the reason he's hooking me up with the slx is so he doesn't have to wait as long. Jk
@Tim has an engine
I have only ridden with him once but thinking I could prolly keep up with him first 30 minutes and then he would leave me in the dust. I would love to see him and @Mathers go at it. I think they are both good riders and pretty similar in fitness and skills. Both should go to Stewart this weekend while I sit at home and share a happy meal with my kid.

Couple of months from now... you will be looking at that SLX and thinking.... Do I need XT? lol

@Tim has an engine
I have only ridden with him once but thinking I could prolly keep up with him first 30 minutes and then he would leave me in the dust. I would love to see him and @Mathers go at it. I think they are both good riders and pretty similar in fitness and skills. Both should go to Stewart this weekend while I sit at home and share a happy meal with my kid.

Couple of months from now... you will be looking at that SLX and thinking.... Do I need XT? lol
Ugh, I know. I want a new rear wheel just to sound cool. I'm really trying to make this the last thing though. On the bike at least. I still need shorts and glasses and a jersey that goes well with my bike and new gloves that match better and more tools and a better system on my car for transporting the bike and....

Ugh, I know. I want a new rear wheel just to sound cool. I'm really trying to make this the last thing though. On the bike at least. I still need shorts and glasses and a jersey that goes well with my bike and new gloves that match better and more tools and a better system on my car for transporting the bike and....
You could just remove the grease from the hub and replace with a lighter grease to make it louder... not sure how much louder it will get tho.
But IMO loud hubs can get annoying. IDK.... maybe its just envy lol

Oh I get plenty gassed. I’m not an alien. LOL. It’s hard being the slow guy in the group. Sometimes I ride with others who are stronger and faster than I am. On top of being better riders they are always fresh since they get a chance to catch their breath when they have to wait for me. As soon as I catch up they’re off again. One thing is true for sure...chasing faster riders will make you faster.

@Tim has an engine

I rode with @Mathers once at the MTBNJ ride at Stephens in February. We just ended up in the same riding group. I remember thinking he was a good rider.

Why do you think I have SLX to sell? Because it was replaced with XT and put on my beater bike. Then I replaced the XT with XTR and put the XT on my beater. Lol. It never ends.

Oh I get plenty gassed. I’m not an alien. LOL. It’s hard being the slow guy in the group. Sometimes I ride with others who are stronger and faster than I am. On top of being better riders they are always fresh since they get a chance to catch their breath when they have to wait for me. As soon as I catch up they’re off again. One thing is true for sure...chasing faster riders will make you faster.
@Mtbdog and I talked about this not too long ago.
Its tough.... because when riding with faster riders and they have to wait for you, you do feel bad and start neglecting how you really feel.
I think most guys... as long as they understand from the getgo that you are a slower rider, don't mind waiting for you and if you need to take a 5, they will be accommodating. Sometimes they will push... to help you become a better rider but they wont drop you. At least I have never experienced that.

@liong71er loves riding with me and he waits a ton! But truth be told... I think it has more to do with my magnetic personality :)

@Mtbdog and I talked about this not too long ago.
Its tough.... because when riding with faster riders and they have to wait for you, you do feel bad and start neglecting how you really feel.
I think most guys... as long as they understand from the getgo that you are a slower rider, don't mind waiting for you and if you need to take a 5, they will be accommodating. Sometimes they will push... to help you become a better rider but they wont drop you. At least I have never experienced that.

@liong71er loves riding with me and he waits a ton! But truth be told... I think it has more to do with my magnetic personality :)

@TimBay and I have talked about pacing. If I agree to a ride then I am 100% ok with keeping the pace of the slowest rider. I don’t agree to rides if I don’t have enough time or if I have a different workout in mind. I know I feel self conscious of making others wait when I’m the slow guy but there is nothing wrong with saying you need a minute.

I spent the last 2 years riding nearly exclusively alone. I finally ventured out to a couple group rides a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. It’s just more fun to ride with others. It doesn’t matter to me how fast or slow they are. Yay bikes!

I think it has more to do with the fact that you're so humble...
I don't know about being humble... but I just don't want to mouth off and then get my ass handed to me.
When and if I get there... believe me... I will be talking trash.... just not there yet lol

I don't know about being humble... but I just don't want to mouth off and then get my ass handed to me.
When and if I get there... believe me... I will be talking trash.... just not there yet lol

I was sarcastically referring to your self declared magnetic personality...

This is correct. I don't particularly like riding in the wet. I only really do it in July for the Halter's 31/31 contest. It's really for the days when trails are unrideable or if I get a trainer some day. Another benefit is when I am short on time I can ride road from my house. Often times MTBing requires at least 25 minutes of driving both to and from the trails.
You're getting zero sympathy for your 2 minute drive to Harts
AthleticTartIridescentshark-small.gif

I have more respect for someone who rides a $500 and kills it or puts 100% effort than the guy/gal with a $5000 bike who talks at rides more than they ride and has a excuse for each time they can't clean a feature or climb.

You've only been riding a few months, if you keep to this current level of interest and commitment. You'll be waiting for is in no time. Once you get the basics in, saddle time is what will get you to the next level. I really haven't improved in the past two years most because I'm only riding 3-4 times a month max. When riding with faster groups I usually take the easiest lines and avoid features so I don't waste energy or crash. Some rides we focus more on sessioning features, but don't try both. There's no secret, just ride more. @kbajaj rides often and I see lots of improvement each time we get together.

I have more respect for someone who rides a $500 and kills it or puts 100% effort than the guy/gal with a $5000 bike who talks at rides more than they ride and has a excuse for each time they can't clean a feature or climb.
Tbh... there are more to a park than that particular climb or feature. Some are worth it and some are not. I personally would rather conserve the energy for something more fun down the trail.

Back
Top Bottom