The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

The fork, front wheel, shifter/derailer, brakes make a pretty good dent in the build. If not, I'd just buy a complete, but would likely have less great components on it. Though they'd be new components.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I think brakes are ok? But everything else, is a big fat no.... unless you are getting them at a pennies to a dollar.

I am not an expert on this. Please elaborate.

I dunno. Shifter/derailer yes. Leave some extra on the fork, get boost and a good wheel, that can be transitioned. Carbon Stem/bars.

That would leave rear wheel, rear shock, probably need a new cassette and crank, BB, headset, what else? Besides the wearable stiff like chainring, cassette, brake pads, new cables for everything?

I would think this is about right. Consumables Obviously shouldn't be swapped over. I don't see why a good fork, wheelset, brake levers/calipers, bar, stem, derailleur, shifter couldn't be swapped. Especially if we are talking about a time frame of a year or less.

qclabrat

Random question: would it be dumb to slowly upgrade my talon with transferable parts like brakes, Groupset, fork, front wheel, bars, etc, then this time next year when I'm ready to buy a bike, I could do a frame and only need like half the components?
that only works with standards don't change. Cause the minute I buy something, it's outdated. That's been the mtb trend for the past 5 years

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think brakes are ok? But everything else, is a big fat no.... unless you are getting them at a pennies to a dollar.

alright, this has been bugging me for a while now, the phrase you are looking for is pennies ON a dollar.

i honestly thought you were just being a wiseass the first time you did it, but now it keeps repeating im not sure of that anymore.

qclabrat

I would think this is about right. Consumables Obviously shouldn't be swapped over. I don't see why a good fork, wheelset, brake levers/calipers, bar, stem, derailleur, shifter couldn't be swapped. Especially if we are talking about a time frame of a year or less.
It's rarely cheaper to put a bike together yourself. Between the tax, shipping and countless hours of scouring it's better to get a lightly used bike at end of year with top grade parts. @TimBay it's always easy telling someone not to upgrade when you see all the activities here, but what sucks about the Talon that you're looking to do so many upgrades? A 140mm fork for the Talon today may not work for the frame your pick out later. Do you really want to limit which frame you choose because of the fork? Your ride style and wants will change in a year and very quickly. Ride the Talon till mid summer and start looking for replacement in the Fall. Save your pennies and get a complete bike with parts spec'd right for it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser

Not an expert either. With brakes, it just 2 pots or 4 pots and can be fit with an adaptor depending on the rotor size. Only thing would be the length of the hose.

Everything else, standards are always changing. Boost, Super boost.... this changes fork, wheels and (potentially) crank width. I say crank width because, I have read that one of the reasons why some manufacturer is reluctant to go with super boost is due to the q factor which I would assume could potentially change the BB shell width. Even handlebars and stems.... 31.8 or 35? Didn't Giant mess around with OD2 headsets not too long ago. Too many variables.

Also, your tastes can change. I used to be totally happy with Deore… now the snob in me wont take anything less than XT. o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

TimBay

that only works with standards don't change. Cause the minute I buy something, it's outdated. That's been the mtb trend for the past 5 years
Yeah, but I think I'll be able to find something in the standard for the specific items. shifter/derailer, shouldn't be an issue. The fork/wheel/bars all are going together, so that should be perfectly fine. I already know the crank will likely need to be different since I'll have some kind of boost standard in the rear, which is also why I can't buy a rear wheel with my 9mm qr nonsense (seriously Giant, it's 2019). I can see the rear brake caliper being an issue if I want something with a different type of mount.

@shrpshtr325 I believe it's pennies on THE dollar.

TimBay

It's rarely cheaper to put a bike together yourself. Between the tax, shipping and countless hours of scouring it's better to get a lightly used bike at end of year with top grade parts. @TimBay it's always easy telling someone not to upgrade when you see all the activities here, but what sucks about the Talon that you're looking to do so many upgrades? A 140mm fork for the Talon today may not work for the frame your pick out later. Do you really want to limit which frame you choose because of the fork? Your ride style and wants will change in a year and very quickly. Ride the Talon till mid summer and start looking for replacement in the Fall. Save your pennies and get a complete bike with parts spec'd right for it.

I don't necessarily want to upgrade the Talon here, just thinking it could be good to slowly build up the parts up for a future build. Where I ride, I can't see needing more than 130mm. I honestly probably won't go the upgrade/swap route, but it just popped into my head seeing others here building bikes and I figured, if I built up the components over time, it could make sense.

The only things I want for the talon right now are a dropper seatpost, and potentially a wider range rear cassette and putting a 30t on it. I've been using the 28t only and have liked the simplicity of 1x, but would like a little more speed in specific places. That being said, how much of a difference is 28 vs 30 on the 11t rear...I have no idea.

qclabrat

To further illustrate, the 2019 model is close to your bike?
1556201012342.png

Fork upgrade: to you really think you'll be using a 100mm for in your next bike?
bars, stems, posts upgrade: only if someone is giving them away
Brakes upgrade: if you are OTBing its your shitty technique not the Tektros, you were to go 8020s, you'll die
Cranks/BB: don't do it
Wheels: will be your biggest and most important budget decision. Get your next bike with nice wheels on them. they can wait
Saddle: if it works use it

OK to upgrade:
Pedals: i hope that's already taken care of...
Shifter and derailleurs: go 1X, mostly because cheaper and lighter (XT/GX grade or better 11 or 12 spd)
Cassette: yes the 46T or 50T will be what you want (don't forget a chain) There are now 12 spd cassettes for Shimano freewheels
the XT upgrade is only about $200 with a Sunrace cassette, I recently did XTR shifters for a little bit more

Reactions: Tim

TimBay

Not an expert either. With brakes, it just 2 pots or 4 pots and can be fit with an adaptor depending on the rotor size. Only thing would be the length of the hose.

Everything else, standards are always changing. Boost, Super boost.... this changes fork, wheels and (potentially) crank width. I say crank width because, I have read that one of the reasons why some manufacturer is reluctant to go with super boost is due to the q factor which I would assume could potentially change the BB shell width. Even handlebars and stems.... 31.8 or 35? Didn't Giant mess around with OD2 headsets not too long ago. Too many variables.

Also, your tastes can change. I used to be totally happy with Deore… now the snob in me wont take anything less than XT. o_O

Yeah, the tastes changing is a major reason I'm in no rush to even experiment with this. I'm so new to riding, I have no idea what I want. I will say, the only thing I notice as an issue when riding is the lack of dropper, I really hate trying to descend with it all the way up and it sucks climbing with it down and it really sucks trying to raise and lower it, so that's a must for happiness. I could see upgrading the gearing, but that can wait until things start to wear. I love riding this bike, it's when I'm off it and seeing all the things here that I think about all the stuff I could do/buy/change/fire new bike....

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

...snip o_O

apparently 4 in the front, 2 in the back is a thing. weight weenie wise anyway.

TimBay

To further illustrate, the 2019 model is close to your bike?
View attachment 93764

Fork upgrade: to you really think you'll be using a 100mm for in your next bike?
bars, stems, posts upgrade: only if someone is giving them away
Brakes upgrade: if you are OTBing its your shitty technique not the Tektros, you were to go 8020s, you'll die
Cranks/BB: don't do it
Wheels: will be your biggest and most important budget decision. Get your next bike with nice wheels on them. they can wait
Saddle: if it works use it

OK to upgrade:
Pedals: i hope that's already taken care of...
Shifter and derailleurs: go 1X, mostly because cheaper and lighter (XT/GX grade or better 11 or 12 spd)
Cassette: yes the 46T or 50T will be what you want (don't forget a chain) There are now 12 spd cassettes for Shimano freewheels
the XT upgrade is only about $200 with a Sunrace cassette, I recently did XTR shifters for a little bit more

My bike is the 2019. So far the only things I've done are pedals (oneup composites) and a used fork I got on here for the cheap (2016ish Recon Gold). Both were noticeable improvements to the ride. especially the pedals. I'm definitely thinking 1x. I've been doing it with the 28 for the last 4 rides and it's pretty great not thinking about 2 shifters. I can go up to 11spd on this hub per Giant live chat support.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yeah, the tastes changing is a major reason I'm in no rush to even experiment with this. I'm so new to riding, I have no idea what I want. I will say, the only thing I notice as an issue when riding is the lack of dropper, I really hate trying to descend with it all the way up and it sucks climbing with it down and it really sucks trying to raise and lower it, so that's a must for happiness. I could see upgrading the gearing, but that can wait until things start to wear. I love riding this bike, it's when I'm off it and seeing all the things here that I think about all the stuff I could do/buy/change/fire new bike....
Here is my experience
I bought a set of 29er wheels to use on the Hightower and then decided to build up a hardtail.
Because the wheelset was XD and boost, there were limitations on which frame and drivetrain I can buy. It limited my opinions. If you buy parts now, and you intend to use them on your next bike, it is going to limit your options as well.

qclabrat

I don't necessarily want to upgrade the Talon here, just thinking it could be good to slowly build up the parts up for a future build. Where I ride, I can't see needing more than 130mm. I honestly probably won't go the upgrade/swap route, but it just popped into my head seeing others here building bikes and I figured, if I built up the components over time, it could make sense.

The only things I want for the talon right now are a dropper seatpost, and potentially a wider range rear cassette and putting a 30t on it. I've been using the 28t only and have liked the simplicity of 1x, but would like a little more speed in specific places. That being said, how much of a difference is 28 vs 30 on the 11t rear...I have no idea.
notice the Talon and Trance have almost no parts except brakes and drive train worth swapping
Completely different cockpit and just look at the post length difference alone, what fits on the Talon may be too short for the Trance
1556202019129.png

1556202071512.png

1556202172376.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
we are getting off topic of the thread...which means we are getting on a topic..........

TimBay

Thanks guys. I think the biggest thing for me is the fact that I don't know nothing about nothing especially as far as what I'll want in a future FS bike and the limiting factor to anything I could even potentially bring over to a new bike.

TimBay

Speaking of cat murder, it's about the 1 year anniversary since I banished the murder cat from my basement. His name was Eric, The Murder Cat. One day, I went down to do laundry and this shifty little fucker scurried out behind some bins. My basement is more of a cellar with an opening to a crawl space under half the house. It took me a couple of days to find how/where he was getting in. Thankfully I was lucky enough to seal it when he wasn't in the basement and I have yet to be murdered. There. Off-topic.

qclabrat

drop your ass back behind the saddle like the old dayz, it works and pros still racing that way
Where the dropper is most useful to me are the chunky boulders where you need to get off the saddle and the seat gets in the way or in twisty turns where your bike is separating from you
1556202759692.png

Top Bottom