The Amusement Bike Park

TimBay

I'm sure I'll figure it out if I out more than 2 minutes to it prepride and mindlessly dicking around while on the trail. I'll get it sorted. No fires here.

jklett

Worst case if you really can't figure it out, buy a new cable and housing and bring it over to my place and I will teach you how to square it up. Sometimes it's more of a matter of seeing how it works than having someone explain it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Worst case if you really can't figure it out, buy a new cable and housing and bring it over to my place and I will teach you how to square it up. Sometimes it's more of a matter of seeing how it works than having someone explain it.
Please have a video camera, gasoline and a match handy.... you know.... just in case you guys want to get frisky

TimBay

talons.jpg
four-fingers-stock-photo-722126.jpg
MV5BN2M0YWM1OTgtMDY1Ni00Y2RkLTkxNzktODUyNDU0YWFkYjQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0...jpg

Tim

aka sptimmy43

There are a lot of pretty good videos on YouTube about this. Once you understand how it works it's much easier to work on it.

Knowing how new your bike is and that you went OTB once or twice I wouldn't be surprised if your hanger is bent a little. If it's only tweaked a little it will usually impact your shifting in just a few cogs and the rest will shift just fine in both directions. If you generally cant shift into any smaller cogs/harder gears then the cable is too tight which is preventing the spring in the derailleur from pulling the chain far enough to engage the next cog. If you generally can't shift into any bigger cogs/easier gears then the cable is most likely too loose and it isn't pulling the derailleur in far enough to engage the next cog. If you didn't mess with limit screws they should still be fine. In some cases your rear hub/bearings could be a little loose which could cause problems as your cassette would essentially become a moving target.

TimBay

There are a lot of pretty good videos on YouTube about this. Once you understand how it works it's much easier to work on it.

Knowing how new your bike is and that you went OTB once or twice I wouldn't be surprised if your hanger is bent a little. If it's only tweaked a little it will usually impact your shifting in just a few cogs and the rest will shift just fine in both directions. If you generally cant shift into any smaller cogs/harder gears then the cable is too tight which is preventing the spring in the derailleur from pulling the chain far enough to engage the next cog. If you generally can't shift into any bigger cogs/easier gears then the cable is most likely too loose and it isn't pulling the derailleur in far enough to engage the next cog. If you didn't mess with limit screws they should still be fine. In some cases your rear hub/bearings could be a little loose which could cause problems as your cassette would essentially become a moving target.
Everything shifts. It just seems to take a little longer and is a little clunky. I want to make it work more betterer.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Everything shifts. It just seems to take a little longer and is a little clunky. I want to make it work more betterer.
Since you said no new bike..... new drive train... XX1 Eagle AXS!
You did say its going to be a $3k bike....

Reactions: Tim

TimBay

Since you said no new bike..... new drive train... XX1 Eagle AXS!
You did say its going to be a $3k bike....
No. Have to do xtr on account of the hub and all that. Carbon wheels maybe? Don't worry, I won't start a thread on it. Lol. Too soon?

TimBay

pedal at a higher cadence, it will shift faster? :D

i've got so much to do at this point.
Working on it. I'm definitely stronger than I was in October. My goals are to become mid pack OOS by next season. We'll see since you guys keep progressing also.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
No. Have to do xtr on account of the hub and all that. Carbon wheels maybe? Don't worry, I won't start a thread on it. Lol. Too soon?
There you go.... carbon wheels, $1k and XX1 Eagle $2k.... You have a $3k bike right there! Cuz you know.... rest of the bike is worth 0!
LOL JK!!!

serviceguy

I have had a number of issues with my gears:

- bent hanger, I ended up replacing it. If you straighten it, I would do it off the bike so that you don't end up messing with the actual frame / chainstays.
- fryed cable, ended up changing the whole cable/guide combo. My cables are partially exposed (old school bike) so I made sure to use stainle
- damaged derailleur spring, that was PIA, it took me a while to diagnose why the derailleur arm would go floppy after a few gear changes. I had to take the whole thing apart and realized the spring had been tampered with. new spring fixed it.
- tune up, grabbed a bunch of youtube video and went to town (I like the Park Tools one, I find Calvin's explanation being easy to understand even for a noob like me).

Also, the first step should really be to clean and lube your drive train. I use a Pedro's Chain Pig and cleaning fluids but there's a number out there (I like to think I'm trying to be environmentally friendly).

That's all I've got...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
There you go.... carbon wheels, $1k and XX1 Eagle $2k.... You have a $3k bike right there! Cuz you know.... rest of the bike is worth 0!
LOL JK!!!
Wow.... even tho I said I was joking.... feel like a dick for saying this :(
I need to go to church this weekend and will need to repent

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
If you have a lockout on the rear derailleur, it could be the tension is set to high. if it shifts fine with the lockout off thats your answer.
There is an adjustment.
Park tool website has lots if good videaos.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
If you have a lockout on the rear derailleur, it could be the tension is set to high. if it shifts fine with the lockout off thats your answer.
There is an adjustment.
Park tool website has lots if good videaos.
This is what happened to my gears. I backed off the tension and it works great now.

TimBay

Wow.... even tho I said I was joking.... feel like a dick for saying this :(
I need to go to church this weekend and will need to repent
I love jokes and that was solid. No offense taken. I'm more than comfortable enough with myself and equipment. I should put Eagle on the Talon though. it just fits from a naming standpoint.

Top Bottom