The 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Half pipe on skis isn't even interesting to me. Is there even a snowboard DH or slalom? Skis do ski things, snowboards to snowboard things.

There used to be am snowboard slalom, but I think they stopped it two Winter Olympics ago and replaced it with Boardercross. I actually did a couple of slalom races back in the day. The board set-up was different than on a regular ride, because you really needed to be able to keep your turns super tight or else you had no shot. I moved the bindings to point my feet much more forward than I'd normally do, and I canted my rear foot by inserting a shim (the point there was to keep you leaning forward as much as possible.) I was never very good at it, but I remember it being a pretty fun sport.

gtluke

The Moped
There used to be am snowboard slalom, but I think they stopped it two Winter Olympics ago and replaced it with Boardercross. I actually did a couple of slalom races back in the day. The board set-up was different than on a regular ride, because you really needed to be able to keep your turns super tight or else you had no shot. I moved the bindings to point my feet much more forward than I'd normally do, and I canted my rear foot by inserting a shim (the point there was to keep you leaning forward as much as possible.) I was never very good at it, but I remember it being a pretty fun sport.

Giant slalom coming up this weekend
https://www.olympic.org/pyeongchang...-men-s-parallel-giant-slalom-qual-000100-.htm

Frank

Sasquatch
Lindsay is a great example...Her specialty is downhill...high speed, 150' jumps, being in a tuck most of the way, huge sweeping turn with massive skis. She won that part of the combined, she missed a gate in the slalom portion which is the complete opposite...very close gates, super quick turns...its not something she trains for often im sure. Blowing is a stretch as I dont think she had any hopes of winning it. And she got bronze in the DH, I believe she is the oldest women to ever medal in skiing...I cant see how that was choking or blowing it.

Totally agree! If she had her new skis for the DH, the results may have been completely different. They showed a picture of her edges (I couldn't see anything) and said that she melted them. It's amazing she didn't blow gates like others did.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Totally agree! If she had her new skis for the DH, the results may have been completely different. They showed a picture of her edges (I couldn't see anything) and said that she melted them. It's amazing she didn't blow gates like others did.
— lindsey vonn (@lindseyvonn) February 22, 2018
Odd picture...i mean I know they do all sorts of things in DH racing that you wouldnt do with regular skis...but it looks like was edge is all together missing....but the grooved the base.? Not something im familar with. No idea how that happens on snow, I have blown an edge out, but only by sliding across a rock. Whatever happened, didnt seem to effect her run that much, as she even stated. And goddam do people on twitter suck.

rick81721

Lothar
Blowing is a stretch as I dont think she had any hopes of winning it. And she got bronze in the DH, I believe she is the oldest women to ever medal in skiing...I cant see how that was choking or blowing it.

This is Philly fan vernacular - if you lose, you choked!

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Sounds like the base gets torched due the friction from the ice crystals, when this happens the base can't absorb wax anymore, and is thus worthless if you're someone who likes to ski fast. You could try a base grind, which depending on how bad it is may not worth and may end up taking too much material off, and at the level that they are skiing I think that little change in geometry will throw them off. I find it hard to believe that this happens by the second gate of a slalom though, in less than 50ft. they haven't build up terminal velocity yet.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
so bummed i couldnt stay awake long enough to watch the hockey game, need a good condesnsed

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
bob-sleds on the halfpipe doing flips would be awesome

This is a great idea. I don't much like the bobsled as it is. I think it's because they always have skeleton and luge first, which just look less clunky. A bobsled going down a track always looks awkward.

Maybe another idea would be to have padded walls pop up on the track at specific intervals so they have to go fast enough to get past them before they do. That way, you give everyone what they want: the racers get that sense of urgency to do a clean run, and the fans (who, lets' face it, are only watching to see carnage) get exactly what they want from the teams that fail to keep the speed up. You could even play with it - make it more of an obstacle course overall: in addition to the padded walls, add swinging pendulums, boxing gloves on spring-loaded sticks, timed release of maple syrup pools near the bottom of the run. Yeah, this could work. Someone get the head Nikelodeon on the line - 2022 is just around the corner.

Top Bottom