The 2018 Winter Olympics Thread

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would assume that it would be similar time as last night.

I found 1 reference to 8:00 but that could be the general time slot for NBC to start coverage.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I would assume that it would be similar time as last night.

I found 1 reference to 8:00 but that could be the general time slot for NBC to start coverage.

http://results.nbcolympics.com/results?sport_id=222&date=-1

the nbcolympics.com site has has a huge amount of info - but gleaning information from it is less than optimal

they list site date across the top, and local time down the side - korea is 14 hours in front of NJ.
looks like snowboarding at 8:30 local - part of the 8pm broadcast.

i have no idea how i got to that link.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@seanrunnette - (you are now the local figure skating expert)

From an article i was reading cause confused more than usual.
And yet an imperfectly executed quadruple jump can earn a skater more points than a perfectly executed triple jump.

on the technical nature of scoring figure skating...trying&falling beats perfection for a lesser , i'm going to assume they made the rotations, just didn't land it??

also assuming the extreme difficulty of a quad makes this work?

There is no recovery in snowboarding for trying.....

gtluke

The Moped
That poor kid. First run first trick and out on a stretcher. That looked horrible, hope he's okay.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok so did Shawn White get robbed on run #1 because it was just the first run? I know they will score low but I felt like that was better than a 94.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
One thing that is crazy about Shaun White is that no aspect of his tricks are left for question, even the non-grab hand is in a particular spot. The way he has his head tilted back is pretty insane.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
White's last run was nuts. He seemed super relaxed after wiping out on his second run, too, so you kind of knew he had something up his sleeve for that last one and he didn't disappoint. I liked how they cut to a shot of Hiruma waiting after the run and you could see he just knew there was no way he was getting gold. But all of them were impressive as hell - the progression is crazy. Remember in Salt Lake City when they did the comparison of White's elevation to everyone else and he was so noticeably (and literally) above everyone else? That's not the case anymore. Even the poor dude who wiped out did so on a trick where he was like 20 or 30 feet above the lip. They're all just flying now - and not just in height: they're traveling further and further down the pipe on every trick. That's pretty cool. It's like watching any one of them feels like it should have a sonic boom sound every time they go for air.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
White's last run was nuts. He seemed super relaxed after wiping out on his second run, too, so you kind of knew he had something up his sleeve for that last one and he didn't disappoint. I liked how they cut to a shot of Hiruma waiting after the run and you could see he just knew there was no way he was getting gold. But all of them were impressive as hell - the progression is crazy. Remember in Salt Lake City when they did the comparison of White's elevation to everyone else and he was so noticeably (and literally) above everyone else? That's not the case anymore. Even the poor dude who wiped out did so on a trick where he was like 20 or 30 feet above the lip. They're all just flying now - and not just in height: they're traveling further and further down the pipe on every trick. That's pretty cool. It's like watching any one of them feels like it should have a sonic boom sound every time they go for air.
I saw some comparisons, he is still around 2 feet higher on the highest air and on average, but that is much closer as it used to be 5'. Just watched his run again, that last hit was perfection. Will be interesting to see if he goes for gold in skating in the summer olympics.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
I saw some comparisons, he is still around 2 feet higher on the highest air and on average, but that is much closer as it used to be 5'. Just wanted his run again, that last hit was perfection. Will be interesting to see if he goes for gold in skating in the summer olympics.
No vert in 2020

Top Bottom