The 2016 garden thread

rlb

Broccoli crowns, they are delicious! I think they would have done much better if I got them in the ground in March like I was supposed to. Next year....

IMG_20160707_180319939.jpg

qclabrat

So my tomatos look good so far and my strawberries were off to a good start aside from a few that never took. The last week or so I've noticed some of them kinda wilting and not looking good. I took a closer look today and noticed a bunch of white bugs that I think are spider mites. I've done a little research and it looks like I should spray them with a mixture of dish soap and water. Anyone have any experience with these things? First it was birds, then squirrels and now these bugs.
soap and neem oil are both fairly effective. House plant that go back in during the colder months always get the insecticidal soap

rlb

My squash is getting out of hand, 3 plants in 16 sq ft = fountain of squash

IMG_20160710_110229480.jpg

qclabrat

garden infested by chipmunks this year, removing one everyday, if you see one in the Watchung Walmart, its probably is one of mine
WP_20160807_10_26_24_Pro.jpg

Reactions: rlb

qclabrat

last years winner was the black crim, I tried to seed them this year but didn't work out. But I did end up with a great alternate, it's the big yellow one called Celebration. Another decent one is the Rutgers 250, low acid, meaty and it makes bushels per plant. Also seems very disease resistant. Also like the mini plum snack sized romas. The big losers this year are the yellow cherries, called lemon something, tasteless and pasty, saving them for cooking. And as usual have loads of the early girl variety for what else, an early crop. Have other dependables as well such as the purple Cherokee, chocolate cherries and a Chinese variety, which have been consistent strong performers

rlb

This year we did cherries, brandywine, early girl, and rutgers 250. The 250s and early girls started producing about the same time, maybe 2 weeks ago. Next year I'm going to skip one of these varieties since they are very similar in taste IMO and they produced at the same time. My 250s got diseased, but I do agree on the amazing production per plant. I think I stunted their growth by over pruning, but they still put out as much fruit as the EGs that I did not prune at all. Also 250s fruit is bigger, so this will probably be my pick of those 2 for next year. There are also a few early brandywines, including a 1.7 lb tomato that's getting close to ready. I', excited for these, they've been the best tasting for the 2 years we've grown them, so my expectations are high once again. The cherries are also huge and throwing off tons of fruit. I don't know their variety, I wish I did so I could grow them again next year.

rick81721

Lothar
This year we did cherries, brandywine, early girl, and rutgers 250. The 250s and early girls started producing about the same time, maybe 2 weeks ago. Next year I'm going to skip one of these varieties since they are very similar in taste IMO and they produced at the same time. My 250s got diseased, but I do agree on the amazing production per plant. I think I stunted their growth by over pruning, but they still put out as much fruit as the EGs that I did not prune at all. Also 250s fruit is bigger, so this will probably be my pick of those 2 for next year. There are also a few early brandywines, including a 1.7 lb tomato that's getting close to ready. I', excited for these, they've been the best tasting for the 2 years we've grown them, so my expectations are high once again. The cherries are also huge and throwing off tons of fruit. I don't know their variety, I wish I did so I could grow them again next year.

What's your address? I won't steal too many!

Reactions: rlb

qclabrat

interesting about the timing, i've been harvesting the early girls for over a month and the 250s just last week. though they both appear to be peaking right now at the same time. To me the 250s have a more solid tomato flavor when eaten in the rough. I already have about 20 lbs of tomatoes I'm sending off to family and friends this weekend.

Top Bottom