The 2016 garden thread

rlb

haha what kind of birds? mine would be trying to catch the birds as shes being bombed, would be pretty funny I'm sure.

qclabrat

saw a woodpecker poking around my house again, going to need to take binocular and survey the potential damage, I made a hanging mobile with cans last time which seems to help, not mine, but it doesn't need to look red-neck if you try
soda%20can%20tin%20butterfly%20mobile%202_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

Robin

A little late to the party. I was able to secure my plot at the community garden again this year.

Planted three varieties of tomatoes, beets, kale, yellow squash and zucchini, and two types of cukes. Things are starting to pop!

13312653_10209171424624879_4634894086416531332_n.jpg

Last edited:

rlb

Broccoli rabe. A few bolted yesterday, and the rest developed only 1 or 2 small heads but I'm still holding out hope!

BTW these were all planted 4/30, this stuff grows quick!

IMG_20160606_172742690.jpg

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow, those are planted close
I like the clean look of the beds
We didn't want to build anything huge so that's what we got. They'll just grow higher like they did last year, the difference this year being the raised bed and better soil. Even the potted ones we had on the porch last year did better than expected.

rlb

My tomatoes were a little "close" last year at 1 per ft, but they did fine. They just need some good supporting, speaking of which I need to get that done ASAP because mine are stating to get out of control. Those R250s (2 on the left) are really taking off!

IMG_20160607_063211005.jpg

Broccoli still holding up so far

IMG_20160607_063154512.jpg

qclabrat

My tomatoes were a little "close" last year at 1 per ft, but they did fine. They just need some good supporting, speaking of which I need to get that done ASAP because mine are stating to get out of control. Those R250s (2 on the left) are really taking off!

View attachment 36247

Broccoli still holding up so far

View attachment 36248
nice broccoli, mine are already goners along with the seed cauliflower, bugs got to them

Reactions: rlb

rlb

nice broccoli, mine are already goners along with the seed cauliflower, bugs got to them

Thanks, I'm surprised to be honest. Considering last year started similarly (cool weather hung around a little longer then we went straight into hot humid) I was expecting it all to bolt as it did last year. Maybe the variety I picked is actually working out?

Zaskar

So potatoes.... I planted (cut some in half and stuck them in the ground) back in late March.
How the heck do I know when it's time to make fries??

Roadie

So potatoes.... I planted (cut some in half and stuck them in the ground) back in late March.
How the heck do I know when it's time to make fries??
We are trying potatoes this year too.. We have read that when the leaves turn brown it is time to pull them out of the ground. Supposed to keep mounding the dirt up around the stalks as they grow too

Top Bottom