The 2016 garden thread

rlb

Broccoli! Got started about a week later than I wanted to because I was late ordering seeds. I wanted a heat tolerant variety and Packman seems to be it. However its not in the burpee isle at home depot, so I was at the mercy of the USPS.

IMG_20160209_193554973.jpg

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
how long do you keep in the cups until you put in the ground? What is the normal incubation period?

rlb

@Matty I think it was around $7 total? Seeds are cheap, shipping was around $5. Ordered from http://www.paseseeds.com

@rottin' it all rotates around the average last frost date. Each plant is different but for broccoli you want to start the seeds indoors 12 weeks before last frost then move them outside ~ 5 weeks before last frost. This is the earliest veg, aside from tomatoes and peppers but those are way more successful when you buy seedlings from the nursery.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I asked as I always grab the packman starters from the local greenhouse. This year I had 5 cuttings right up till December. I spend about $12 for 3 plants.

qclabrat

good job getting started, did you start broccoli this early last year?

glad you are having this thread again this year
Anyone interested in a tomato exchange this year? No one I know finishes a full pack of tomato seeds each year and usually goes to waste. Post up here what you're growing and willing to swap, I'd suggesting to starting 20 to 30 plants, 2 for each person.

I'll start, Black Crims
Tomato_Black_krim-013.jpg

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I planted some Paw Paw and Persimmon seedlings in the fall. I'm interested to see if they survive the winter and how they fare this year.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

I asked as I always grab the packman starters from the local greenhouse. This year I had 5 cuttings right up till December. I spend about $12 for 3 plants.

From spring plantings? That's pretty impressive!

@qclabrat I did start my broccoli this early last year but I never harvested any. Last year was a cool spring then the temperature & humidity popped all at once so my broccoli bolted right away. Hoping for better results this year!

I might be interested in a tomato swap next year but I think I'm going to stick with starters from the greenhouse this year. Hopefully someone else joins in!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I planted some Paw Paw and Persimmon seedlings in the fall. I'm interested to see if they survive the winter and how they fare this year.

On the list for this year - Thinking of picking up a 3' trees tho.
started apricots last year. got good results. pics in the spring!

qclabrat

we used to get ours at the Rutgers AG field day every year. The event is usually in late April but I've lately been planting early to mid April so doesn't match my planting schedule for tomatoes

rlb

Broccoli is sprouting already, pretty surprised! Guess I'll have to get the light set up tonight. Looking forward to spring despite the super cold.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't have anywhere to plant stuff in my yard so i was thinking of getting some big planter barrel things... anybody have any tips on where I can get some cheap?

I'd like to grow tomatoes and zucchini and maybe some other vegetables...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't have anywhere to plant stuff in my yard so i was thinking of getting some big planter barrel things... anybody have any tips on where I can get some cheap?

Wait how do you not have anywhere to grow. Don't you have over an acre of property. I mean I have seen city dwellers work gardens off balconies.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wait how do you not have anywhere to grow. Don't you have over an acre of property. I mean I have seen city dwellers work gardens off balconies.

That's why I want to put stuff on my deck. Anything in my yard will get eaten by mountain lions.

rlb

They're usually ~$20 a piece for larger plastic ones. You can also get food safe 5 gallon buckets from lowes for a few bucks a piece.

rlb

That was quick, 48 hours later....

Put them under the UV light tonight, need to get them in the pots within the next few days

IMG_20160211_191135147.jpg

Top Bottom