The 2016-2017 BIYF discussion thread

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok... right.. For some reason I thought it was Jan 1 start. I stand corrected. Guess I will need that bike rental in CA for the week between xmas and NYE....

jackx

You know the rules, warm weather riding doesn't count. Charlie don't surf.
With regards to the warm weather rule, what exactly counts or doesn't count?

Is it anything North of NJ, and up to something like 300 miles south? Or more of a temperature rule suck as within 5°F of a Central Jersey location such as Princeton, NJ???

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Anything should count anywhere if you normally live here and are out to travel. Nobody is going to fly to a warm place just to participate in BIYF. If they do, they'll lose some time travelling anyway. That means Rick doesn't count next BIYF season, lol.

rick81721

Lothar
Anything should count anywhere if you normally live here and are out to travel. Nobody is going to fly to a warm place just to participate in BIYF. If they do, they'll lose some time travelling anyway. That means Rick doesn't count next BIYF season, lol.

next year I'll be auditing BIYF - but my virtual numbers will kick ass!

Reactions: rlb

jackx

I was asking, with regards to work-related travel. Ostensibly riding in Washington DC might be OK, whereas San Diego or Florida not.

Johnny Utah

With regards to the warm weather rule, what exactly counts or doesn't count?

Is it anything North of NJ, and up to something like 300 miles south? Or more of a temperature rule suck as within 5°F of a Central Jersey location such as Princeton, NJ???
Like temperatures or worse

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll ride in CA, and if it counts, great. If not.....:shrug:

It will be on Strava, so it counts for something.:D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'll ride in CA, and if it counts, great. If not.....:shrug:

It will be on Strava, so it counts for something.:D

big state. you riding in tahoe? even SF is nasty in the winter.

--

i say we count it. unless it is a bike specific vacation to warm climate. "So i went to moab to see the flowers, and rode the bike for 8 hours a day...."
might not count. where as,"i went to wisconsin, and raced for 11 hours in the middle of the night would."

hell, if you can carve out time on a trip to florida for a bike ride, good for you. even better if you get a spouse or friend to go.....

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Visiting in-laws. Dec 22-30. Our house is under renovation and our dog has been there since April. Wife and kids miss the dog.
Santa Cruz area. Sadly, the SC factory demos are closed that week. Trying to hook up with a NICA coach for some guided MTB rides, otherwise it's a road rental and riding up and down Skyline Blvd.
Could definitely be low 40's in the morning.
IIRC, I rode Christmas Eve in shorts and short sleeves last year in NJ.

jpn

I will be in if I can figure out strava or something else on my android phone that will satisfy the technocrats who run this site.

Anybody have an idiot's guide to strava I can borrow?

Johnny Utah

big state. you riding in tahoe? even SF is nasty in the winter.

--

i say we count it. unless it is a bike specific vacation to warm climate. "So i went to moab to see the flowers, and rode the bike for 8 hours a day...."
might not count. where as,"i went to wisconsin, and raced for 11 hours in the middle of the night would."

hell, if you can carve out time on a trip to florida for a bike ride, good for you. even better if you get a spouse or friend to go.....
Well said, I concur

rlb

What @fidodie said. In the end, just ride your bike! It sucks to make rules, and it also sucks when people cry foul at another rider (which was way less common than I was expecting last year, so that's a bonus). That means there's minimal rules to try and avoid such conflict. But to frame Pat's example, not many of us have a Moab trip on the books anyway, so it's hardly an issue. In the unlikely event that there is a complex cheating operation to win the internet competition to ride your bike more, the MTBNJ athletics commission will handle it. Probably Tanya Harding style.

Top Bottom