The 2016-2017 BIYF discussion thread

This prices out the distance guys, as they may take several days to recover. At the same time, if someone is riding long distance it does not put them out of the mortal class, as there are many riders in that class who ride daily with tallys that surpass those in elite.

yeah the more I think about it 1 pt for a day's ride no matter how long doesn't seem right philosophically. Values a minimal time effort the same as a longer one.

I like Jim's idea. So a max of say 10 points per week in mortals, excluding bonuses. I also liked the half points from last year, but we need a set rules for rounding up or down, like 1:29-1:58 gets a 1.5 or something like that. Same time frame as always. No hour limit, no bonus for immortals. Straight points for hours. Same time frame.

In the end, this contest is for fun with no monetary reward. Whatever the masses decided it cool. If everyone was as motivated as @stb222 to wake up at 4am in sleet to ride, they could be competitive too. I know I won't do that and don't expect a class for myself because of it. Jump into immortals for more kudos or not.

On Sunday, when I am still singing this stupid fucking song in my head, I will curse you properly. For now I will just say thanks, jerk.

Thanks, jerk.
Your Welcomed!

yeah the more I think about it 1 pt for a day's ride no matter how long doesn't seem right philosophically. Values a minimal time effort the same as a longer one.
The first BIYF had a point per ride system and it got out of wack quick.

And don't rush winter, it doesnt start on Dec 15th!

Glad to see some action here. So it looks like people were not really a fan of the bonuses last year, and maybe straight time might be better in the mortal class? I'll have to look back and see what we did last year and try to figure something out.

How about a mortal class earned bonus for getting off the couch and riding in SH%T weather? Rain/Sleet/Snow/Cold (TBD). Photo Proof of some kind & a few words of explanation.

Not to complicate. Just looking for motivation and the idea of a bonus that is earned through effort.

I hope to be available (and motivated) to join this year. A few thoughts:

If there will be bonuses (bonusses, bonii?) for mortals, definitely announce the criteria in advance vs a random after-the-fact-luck-based jawn.

Sh%t weather bonus at all times, with proof. Of course a 2hr ride should count more than a 1hr ride (even a 1:59 ride.) More Base= more IYF!

Perhaps additional bonus based on greater than "x" amount of likes on the ride report; to encourage entertaining photos and narrative? Those, for me, the past few years, were the real jewels of the contest...

I think weather bonuses sucked in the past I think. Also, photo proof can be from a 15 minute shower in a 3hr ride. How do you factor that in?

I vote for a -10 point start for jumping the gun.;)

Yeah I think the only decent weather bonus is a 1 pt bonus for riding below a certain temp (less than 10? below zero??)

Reactions: rlb
The first one (and maybe the second) had rough weather bonuses. That was cut because of trail conditions and dangerous road conditions. We don't need people slipping and sliding on the roads for this.

The first had sub-32 degrees to get a point or something. I don't think that would swing things too much.

I vote for straight hours riding and absolutely No bonus for riding (beside I don't remember I ever granted bonuses eventho I did mucho Loco rides)

With Exception for camping or sleeping in your tent in the cold frigid tempt but not in your RV's
I did it last year camping(twice)
Bikepacking or overnighter should be a bonus liable without question

If you drive to somewhere and ride this I agree no bonuses

If you choose to ride from home and yes you deserve bonuses

So that's my suggestion

But,Whatever the rules it is I will follow it
Because i just need motivation and excuses to ride my bicycle.

Let's agree and disagree

Liong

I vote to keep Elite hours based and unlimited. No bonuses, etc. Those folks will get out and get it done no matter what. The Mortal Class needs something to keep people on the fence interested and motivated. Weekly Bonuses, maybe weekly time caps. As an example, someone that averages more than 10 hours per week should be in Elite. That's just a random number but you get the idea.

I like this!

2899984997_dc6637dfe7_z.jpg?zz=1.cf.jpg

nobody has ever repeatedly worked the bottom end. there were days when a min effort was put in (remember 2 points for first hour, 1 for each addl half, capped at 5...)

@rlb last year seemed to run real well. Pick a way and we'll go with it. No matter how it's scored it all comes down to the person with with the most hours and/or miles wins. Epic ride bonuses, cold weather bonuses all that stuff is to just try to get a measure for difficulty compared to a summer ride and make it more of a 'game'.

Back
Top Bottom