Technicals dismantled on Red Trail

stilluf

On Friday night we did some loops on the red trail. Noticed that many technicals have been dismantled, like the big rock-over in the rock garden on upper red, and the log over on left red. In addition, the path to the big table top also on upper red was blocked off.

Nearly all of these technicals have been in place since I started riding CR in 2008! It's dangerous to riders to dismantle something that has been there that long, without some kind of warning to the rider. For example, that big rock over on upper red is a regular part of my ride when I'm going down hill. If I hadn't approached it first Uphill, and noticed that the logs on the dismount were removed, I would have ridden over it and crashed.

Does anyone know who did this and why? @Kirt?

gtluke

The Moped
Everything at Ringwood was also dismanted last year. And the big log section at Jungle last year also.
I think someone hates fun.

qclabrat

also the new raised section by the water on yellow has been sanitized
I seem to recall a few more rocky sections

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No idea about this. Spoke to the Ranger twice last week and nothing was mentioned so I don't think it was the park staff. That said, it's possible it's a Ranger just doing their walkthru decided it didn't belong with no mention to any other staff. Or It's possible it's a home owner/hiker who is not a bike fan. Stuff like this happens all over & little can be done about it. It usually works itself out in the end so I try not to worry about it too much.

stilluf

No idea about this. Spoke to the Ranger twice last week and nothing was mentioned so I don't think it was the park staff. That said, it's possible it's a Ranger just doing their walkthru decided it didn't belong with no mention to any other staff. Or It's possible it's a home owner/hiker who is not a bike fan. Stuff like this happens all over & little can be done about it. It usually works itself out in the end so I try not to worry about it too much.

Thanks Kirt. Some of the dismantles likely too quite a bit of work, so would be strange if it was a ranger and nothing was said.

bigtwin100

On Friday night we did some loops on the red trail. Noticed that many technicals have been dismantled, like the big rock-over in the rock garden on upper red, and the log over on left red. In addition, the path to the big table top also on upper red was blocked off.

Nearly all of these technicals have been in place since I started riding CR in 2008! It's dangerous to riders to dismantle something that has been there that long, without some kind of warning to the rider. For example, that big rock over on upper red is a regular part of my ride when I'm going down hill. If I hadn't approached it first Uphill, and noticed that the logs on the dismount were removed, I would have ridden over it and crashed.

Does anyone know who did this and why? @Kirt?
Sorry but if you get hurt on the trail because an obstacle was moved that is YOUR fault nobody elses. Its your responsibility to know the terrain you are riding. This is not your personal trail.

stilluf

Sorry but if you get hurt on the trail because an obstacle was moved that is YOUR fault nobody elses. Its your responsibility to know the terrain you are riding. This is not your personal trail.
Easy big fella!! I wasn't saying this is my personal trail...obviously. If you re-read what I wrote, the point is that some of these technicals have been in place for years (e.g. the big rock in the rock garden on upper red). To then dismantle one that has a blind dismount (without any kind of warning) is dangerous.
To take your argument to its conclusion would mean that every rider should personally inspect every technical before riding it, even those that have been in place for years on trails that they have ridden many, many times. While I agree with the notion of personal responsibility, knowing your limits, I strongly disagree with this.

Xler8

Thanks for the heads up! When you ride the same trails over and over, you become familiar with what to expect. And to have drastic changes take place without notice can lead to a bad day.

The person/people who make such changes have just as much responsibility as the people who ride the trails. It's not theirs either.

qclabrat

I have a such a poor memory and sense of direction, my rides at CR are like my first time
I'm sure I've hit that rock on red before, I'll need to take a mental note to look for it next time

stilluf

I have a such a poor memory and sense of direction, my rides at CR are like my first time
I'm sure I've hit that rock on red before, I'll need to take a mental note to look for it next time

it's one of my favorites, because you can connect two features: a smaller rock-boardwalk combo, then continuing to the big rock.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Moving a twig from a trail vs digging a 100 ft hole in the middle of it are 2 different things. Some things are ok, some things are not, some things fall in a gray area.

bigtwin100

Easy big fella!! I wasn't saying this is my personal trail...obviously. If you re-read what I wrote, the point is that some of these technicals have been in place for years (e.g. the big rock in the rock garden on upper red). To then dismantle one that has a blind dismount (without any kind of warning) is dangerous.
To take your argument to its conclusion would mean that every rider should personally inspect every technical before riding it, even those that have been in place for years on trails that they have ridden many, many times. While I agree with the notion of personal responsibility, knowing your limits, I strongly disagree with this.
Thats fine but actually yes it is their responsibility to know what they are riding. Never assume whats on the other side of a blind obstacle. What you are saying is rediculous. Ive been offroad riding most of my life on dirt bikes and nothing is ever the same so ive learned the rules not to get dead.

rick81721

Lothar
Thats fine but actually yes it is their responsibility to know what they are riding. Never assume whats on the other side of a blind obstacle. What you are saying is rediculous. Ive been offroad riding most of my life on dirt bikes and nothing is ever the same so ive learned the rules not to get dead.

I don't get these comments. How is one supposed to know what's on the other side of blind obstacles (or turns or any other feature)? Do you hike an entire trail first to be sure and then ride it? If some kook sets up a wire line booby trap and you hit it, thats your fault?? Ludicrous.

rlb

Do we need this argument? This serves no one and takes away from the point. Can we just say that someone dismantling trail features is an asshat, so we can maybe focus on that and get some sort of resolution?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do we need this argument? This serves no one and takes away from the point. Can we just say that someone dismantling trail features is an asshat, so we can maybe focus on that and get some sort of resolution?

This x 10000000

qclabrat

let's consider this an opportunity to make something better
@Kirt dream big sir

Reactions: rlb

bigtwin100

I don't get these comments. How is one supposed to know what's on the other side of blind obstacles (or turns or any other feature)? Do you hike an entire trail first to be sure and then ride it? If some kook sets up a wire line booby trap and you hit it, thats your fault?? Ludicrous.
Don't be so dramatic of course not. How are you supposed to know whats on the other side of a blind obstacle? hmm let me think....how bout you look? Wow lol

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
you guys are right about everything. what was I thinking.
your avatar should be Walter...since you have yet to pic on.

2cfee6a837650a34397910407b231f20.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions