Talk me out of buying a dirt bike

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I haven't owned a dirt bike in over 10 years and routinely ignore the itch for another, but since I've got space for once I'm re considering. Thinking of a brappy but street legal ktm or husky.

I'm sure it would be fun just blasting around town, but being honest with myself: am I really going to ride it off road without trailering it out of state?

I got out of the moto game when it got to the point that the only legal way to ride was to race, and I don't want to revisit my young scoflaw days of riding illegally. I think Wharton may be sort of legal (?) to ride but that's still a drive for me.

I know some of you have experience in this area and was hoping to get some input. Thanks in advance

I haven't owned a dirt bike in over 10 years and routinely ignore the itch for another, but since I've got space for once I'm re considering. Thinking of a brappy but street legal ktm or husky.

I'm sure it would be fun just blasting around town, but being honest with myself: am I really going to ride it off road without trailering it out of state?

I got out of the moto game when it got to the point that the only legal way to ride was to race, and I don't want to revisit my young scoflaw days of riding illegally. I think Wharton may be sort of legal (?) to ride but that's still a drive for me.

I know some of you have experience in this area and was hoping to get some input. Thanks in advance

Don't drink the orange coolaid ... they are not worth it , buy a Yamaha
Message me privately and I will help you get it plated , actually I'm not on here much so email me gratecontracting@yahoo.com
I can get you in touch with like minded people . Welcome back to being a woods rider !

Riding Dirt Bike on the street for more than 30 min is no fun for me. You can get a dual sport, but almost all of them are pigs when riding off road.

I have a Suzuki DR650 as my dual sport ride and I take it many places that it should not go. (It has modified suspension)

Husky and KTM are great and are street legal, but you would want to trailer it, if you want to ride the Pines and live in Orange.

Dirt Bike riding in NJ is very much like "Fight Club".

Good luck.

get a hill climber or ice bike...you'll need to trailer it either way.

maxresdefault.jpg

No, I just registered it in South Dakota. I didn't have an mso for my bike so my options are limited. My title will come eventually
Have you heard about that buying a bike with no title and having it registered in Vermont? How come everyone loses motorcycle titles?

Have you heard about that buying a bike with no title and having it registered in Vermont? How come everyone loses motorcycle titles?

South Dakota is slightly easier than vermont in my situation where I had no mso.
My bike never had a title, cause it's just a dirt bike. but most bikes come with their certificate of origin, but mine didn't because it was registered in upstate NY as an off road vehicle where they take the MSO and give you a NY registration card. That card is transferrable, but does dick diddly outside of NY. If I had the MSO vermont would have done it, but not having it I had to go through South Dakota and I was able to prove the transfer of custody since new since I had the original dealer invoice and all bill of sale's leading to me.

Just got my yz250fx plated. There's a secret meca of enduro trails in north jersey. I ride my YZ to them but it's not a great bike to put road miles on.
Have these trails avoided the plague of the atv? Would be nice to ride some challenging enduro singletrack. I mostly rode motocross when I was younger but after getting into mtb I appreciate slower tech riding.

Have these trails avoided the plague of the atv? Would be nice to ride some challenging enduro singletrack. I mostly rode motocross when I was younger but after getting into mtb I appreciate slower tech riding.

Yeah, no ATVs, way too hard for them to get in and destroy it all.

Not sure, the registration says my nj address. Not like I get pulled over on my dirt bike. I'll eventually get the title flipped to a nj title

I have been asked to show papers while riding in the woods and while unloading the bike from the truck.

There was also some talk that NJ recalls registration and tags on bikes that have #3 as a 8th character in the VIN number, which indicates off road use only.

I'm lucky to have some good dirt 14 miles from my house. It has a little of everything including some Single Track that is definitely to tight and narrow for ATV use. It is not a large riding area but I'm slow, so it is good for a couple of hours of fun without repeating anything.

There is a ton of singletrack in NJ. It's mostly a closely guarded secret. I've ridden way over 1000 miles of unique, off offroad singletrack in NJ.

I broke my leg in Jan trying to keep Mike Sigety in sight. Sold my bike, but thin about it every day and in my dreams. I'll be back . .. and yeah I have an orange bike addiction too.

Go visit Evan and Kevin at Solid performance. https://www.solid-performance.com/ Tell them I sent you.

These guys have gone so far above and beyond for me that I would be an ass not to buy every bike there for as long as I live.

There is a ton of singletrack in NJ. It's mostly a closely guarded secret. I've ridden way over 1000 miles of unique, off offroad singletrack in NJ.

I broke my leg in Jan trying to keep Mike Sigety in sight. Sold my bike, but thin about it every day and in my dreams. I'll be back . .. and yeah I have an orange bike addiction too.

Go visit Evan and Kevin at Solid performance. https://www.solid-performance.com/ Tell them I sent you.

These guys have gone so far above and beyond for me that I would be an ass not to buy every bike there for as long as I live.

Come back! I hardly got to ride with you or @ktmrider while I had the chance.

Back
Top Bottom