Switching Gears from Football to the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't too different than watching the days when Shaun White dominated competitions. There was a point in time where he was going bigger and executing better than anyone else in the field. This might just be a case of Kim being above the rest of the competition, making the field a snooze by comparison.

honestly, who can spell where the olympics is being held without googling it?

americans suck at world languages and geography.
there is a generalization for ya.

if japan attacked korea again, you think there would still be a north and south?

750x422

chicago ABC fuckin up

Halfpipe won't matter in a few years anyway.

From the WSJ article text:

The Halfpipe Was Set to Rule Winter Sports. Now It Is Dying
Fewer snowboarders dare plunge down the larger pipes’ walls, so many resorts have stopped building halfpipes

Snowboarder Shaun White of the U.S. trains at Phoenix Snow Park, Pyeongchang, South Korea. PHOTO: MIKE BLAKE/REUTERS
By
Rachel Bachman
February 11, 2018
32 COMMENTS

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea—In the halfpipe’s biggest moment, snowboarder Shaun White flipped and twisted above the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, grabbing the gold and beating TV juggernaut “American Idol” in the ratings.

Eight years later, that halfpipe is gone, and many more are vanishing.

Only 13% of U.S. ski resorts last season had a halfpipe, the giant, open-face cylinder through which riders swoop and fly. That was down from 34% a decade ago, according to the National Ski Areas Association. Only 8% of ski areas last season had a superpipe, a halfpipe that’s Olympic sized or close to it.

An appetite for bigger and bolder tricks fueled a near doubling in size of Olympic halfpipes to 22 feet high from 11.5 feet at the event’s 1998 debut. Ski resorts upgraded to bigger halfpipes, which are pricier to build and maintain. But far fewer riders dare plunge down the larger pipes’ walls, so many resorts have stopped building a halfpipe altogether.

<break>

“There’s days when I show up and I think, really? This is what I do?” she says. “We need to make halfpipe snowboarding approachable. I think it’s essential to the future of the sport. Every resort should have a 12-foot halfpipe.”

The biggest decline in halfpipes has come at the local and regional ski areas where much of the public first tries them. Peak Resorts, which owns or oversees 14 ski areas from Missouri to New Hampshire, has just two halfpipes. A decade ago, it had a halfpipe at nearly half of its resorts, says Elia Hamilton, Peak Resorts’ VP of terrain development.

Hamilton says bigger halfpipes have driven down use and made resort owners question why they’re making them. He compared halfpipes’ decline to that of the ski jump—an Olympic event in which the U.S. hasn’t won a medal
since 1924

Edit: Take out full article text due to copyright

sdfad
americans suck at world languages and geography.
there is a generalization for ya.

if japan attacked korea again, you think there would still be a north and south?

If Japan attacking Korea results in the progression of Japanese-Korean fusion cuisine, then my mouth is watering, and I say fire up the gears of war.

Height of the wall only (in an intimidation factor) matters when dropping in, and there is no need to drop in from the top like a skateboard.
After doing it once, or twice, it is easy to absorb the transition. One mistake i see is nubes landing in the flat. More physics issues?
i'll stand on my cost/liability argument for the demise of the superpipe at other venues.

here is the 22' super pipe at the base of copper mountain - (woodward training center located in the village)
http://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/trail-lift-info/terrain-park-status/22-ft-superpipe
http://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/center-village-hd-cam
it is right outside the bar (Jack's if you are playing along at home)

They have a separate 13' pipe in the learning area - plus a bunch of walls that are better for learning a trick because the run-in is longer.
holy hell i miss this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom