Switching Gears from Football to the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Curling. Right now!

I think men's downhill and half pipe are up at 8 today.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Everything is streaming on nbcolympics.com
Or the sports app.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
243105_troche-inny-carling.gif

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Streaming is too much. There's something like 2500 hours of competition to stream. Just give me the good stuff.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I still can't decide whether I would shit myself faster on the ski jump or skeleton/luge.

We were out at PC at the Olympic training center a few years ago doing a tour. We were talking to a kid (20ish Olympic hopeful), doing a luge run in his underwear and and a helmet. Nothing else. Lost a bet. Said this was a regular occurrence. We were just standing up top looking down and it was nuts.

Patrick

Staff member
Equestrian events do not have a gender class.
The horse can be male or female,
as well as the rider.

--

why do they still wear baggies?

gtluke

The Moped
I think there's far more important debates. Like why the olympic committee tolerates skiers in the half pipe. What's next? Scooters and roller blades? ;)

Reactions: w_b

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Hmm and yaght racing.

What about Curling, doesn't that sport have dudes and chicks on the same team? I would also lobby to allow drinking to happen during curling, I mean who plays that sober?

Shooting should also allow the women and men to compete head to head, it would be an ego blow to some of those dudes to have a lady out-shoot them, and from what I've seen outside of Olympic competition, it would most definitely happen.

Patrick

Staff member
What about Curling, doesn't that sport have dudes and chicks on the same team? I would also lobby to allow drinking to happen during curling, I mean who plays that sober?

there is a specific mixed doubles class, first time for that.
I like the dynamic - can't tell if they are screaming at each other or the stone.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I felt bad for Maddie last night, but damn Kim swept the floor. It's awesome that she gave it all for run 3 rather than just flying down the middle with her hands up in the air.

NOTE: CURLING IS ON RIGHT NOW!

gtluke

The Moped
This thing is too big for everyone, it's going to kill the sport or a competitor.
Where can you even practice?
DVR8T3F.jpg

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
This whole argument is stupid. The halfpipe is the halfpipe. There is a noticeable difference between what the women and men are doing, but so what? The women are judged against their peers just like the men are. If there is an issue of mass, so be it - they'll overcome it. You don't change the sport, you expect them to progress and figure it out. That's what Chloe Kim is doing. She's raising the bar and doing things we haven't seen before. The pipe has grown over the years because the sport is progressing. If you look at it from a progression standpoint, men have had a longer run at this since, like so many other sports, it was first marketed primarily to young men. So the men got to ease into the larger structures over time - smaller steps to progress. The women didn't have that opportunity since they weren't really invited to the party until later. And yet you still have competitors like this perpetually smiling 17 year old who throws down crazy tricks and raises the stakes for everyone else. The women don't need smaller halfpipes. They just need to keep doing the same thing the guys are doing - progressing their sport from where it is now to where they want it to go.

And BTW, if there were an argument to be made about the effect of lesser mass on performance, it'd probably be better made on the luge track. Sliding down a frictionless surface at 80+ mph is one place that being bigger can help give at least a little more control. And yet, even after a horrific crash for Emily Sweeney and a recognition that shit can literally go sideways for them a lot easier than it did for the men, you don't see anyone of the competitors saying they should be given an easier course. Because they're athletes. This is what they do.

The Kalmyk

Thursday the Men’s 20km Biathlon goes off. This is one of my favorite events and I Only ever watch it during the Olympics.

A very close friend of mine has a .22 Anshutz. Very popular brand with biathlon and man is that thing dead on. We used to load it with CB caps and carelessly shoot targets from his window.

Patrick

Staff member
i read that as large half-pipes cost too much for the return on investment.
that and liability.

since i haven't done a pipe (half)day in 20 years, i'm not sure what the scene is anymore.

gtluke

The Moped
i read that as large half-pipes cost too much for the return on investment.
that and liability.

since i haven't done a pipe (half)day in 20 years, i'm not sure what the scene is anymore.
According to that article it's 150-400k a year to maintain an olympic pipe and the half pipes in general are vanishing from ski resorts. Seems the same thing happened with skateboarding vert. Once people started doing 900's by jumping out of helicopters it kinda put an end to the sport. But street skating is still progressing every day.
IMO (someone let me know when individuals aren't allowed to have opinions anymore) the size of the ramp is or will ruin the sport. With less access to ramps by all, there will be less competitors. If the olympics settled on something mortal, like a 16ft ramp or something I bet the resorts may still have halfpipes, more people would get into the sport, more progression would happen.
Does anyone know their physics well enough to teach us a lesson on inertia when it comes to rider weight and ramp size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom