Switched to Clipless

Sven Migot

I went with SPD MULTI RELEASE and never looked back. Way more confident in the rocks.
Can unclip in almost any direction and rarely unclip when I don't want them to.
It's just a different cleat, same pedal.

Ian F

As mentioned - practice. Every once in awhile you'll fall. Hell, it even happens to Pros. I've been running clipless for over 25 years, but once in awhile switch back to flats. As also mentioned, flats force proper technique for jumping and whatnot.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I did my first ride on clipless pedals today. I took my hardtail out for about 21 miles on roads and bike paths. It was awesome! I had built it up in my mind to be a big deal but it really wasn't. Of course I didn't fall or tip over at a stop light so I am pretty stoked. I hopped a couple curbs and jumped a couple speed bumps so I can now relate to how clipping in can lead to bad habits. I'll have to make a conscious effort to keep my technique sharp.

I am looking forward to a proper MTB ride on the clipless setup but I am sure I will learn firsthand what it's like to need to unclip in an unplanned situation.

I guess I should add that I went with Crank Brothers Mallet E pedals and 5.10 Kestral shoes. I like that the pedals have a "platform" and traction pins for a missed attempt at clipping in and the 5.10s just feel better to me than the other clipless shoes I tried on. I have been wearing Freeriders since I started riding MTB 2 seasons ago and I don't own a stitch of lycra so I would just feel funny wearing baggies with sleek looking XC shoes.

So yeah, so far I am stoked on clips. I'm excited to see where this goes....

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I’ve stuck with it and have taken my licks more than once. Still riding technical things more cautiously but slowly gaining confidence

I've had the clipless pedals on the bike for a week now and have done 4 trail rides in that time. I have noticed that I am more confident on descents (although I need to make a conscious effort to drop my heels). I have achieved several PRs on downhill segments. I have also PR'd several climbs. It could be my body reaping the rewards of the cooler weather and lower humidity, though. Who knows?

I've tipped over 4 times. One ride was clean, one had 2 tips, two had 1 tip. Three of my tips have happened on technical climbs when I stalled getting up a ledge and couldn't get out fast enough. The other tip happened when I came across a downed tree in the trail. I had plenty of time to react but just....didn't. That one sucked as I toppled into a bush with large thorns.

I've also had a couple "oh shit" moments where I needed to dab in a loose corner. I was able to get a foot down quite quickly which was reassuring. I was actually pretty surprised by how I was able to dab and not crash.

I am most surprised how quickly bike handling technique gets sloppy. On my last 2 rides I really had to make an effort to drop my heels when descending or riding through rougher sections. I also need to really focus on hopping correctly by shifting my weight on the bike. I know how to do these things correctly and I also know clips will lead to bad form. I am hopeful that knowing this will help prevent terrible habits from taking hold.

I am pretty determined to get proficient on the clips. Maybe I'll end up back on flats but for now I want to see what this is all about.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Clips will force you to learn the track stand.... 2yrs now and I am still not very good at it but I am able get a couple of sec which is enough to unclip and put a foot down.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Clips will force you to learn the track stand.... 2yrs now and I am still not very good at it but I am able get a couple of sec which is enough to unclip and put a foot down.

I admit I need to get better at track stands. Two of my topples were more the result of my chairing hitting the roots that compose the tops of ledges during high power efforts in short technical climb. Once the ring caught the root my momentum was stopped and balance thrown off abruptly.

Tim

aka sptimmy43

Dajerseyrat

It just takes time man. I was in the old cage style pedals since the 1990's and when I bought my Scalpel back in 2014 Jay talked me into a set of clipless pedals. I got used to them pretty fast and thought they were the greatest thing ever. I recently ordered a set of flat pedals for some more tough terrain I want to attempt where I would feel more comfortable not having to unclip. My default pedal on most trails to go to would be clipless however. I want to learn flats so Im gonna learn flats gosh darn it, but I will probably always migrate back to clipless.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
It just takes time man. I was in the old cage style pedals since the 1990's and when I bought my Scalpel back in 2014 Jay talked me into a set of clipless pedals. I got used to them pretty fast and thought they were the greatest thing ever. I recently ordered a set of flat pedals for some more tough terrain I want to attempt where I would feel more comfortable not having to unclip. My default pedal on most trails to go to would be clipless however. I want to learn flats so Im gonna learn flats gosh darn it, but I will probably always migrate back to clipless.

I think this is a case where you can read forums all day long but you have to learn how to ride each type of pedal before you can decide which is better for you. So far I am really liking clipless. I've done about 6 rides on them. I have not avoided any tech and I took a couple spills on the first couple rides. My last 2 rides were incident free. The only thing that scares me with clipless pedals are skinnies. Like legitimately skinny skinnys. Not sure how that would go if I don't nail it.

For giggles, I threw my flats back on my bike for today's ride to see how they feel. I want to maintain my ability to hop and control the bike with my weight so I am sure I throw flats on from time to time.

Dajerseyrat

I think this is a case where you can read forums all day long but you have to learn how to ride each type of pedal before you can decide which is better for you. So far I am really liking clipless. I've done about 6 rides on them. I have not avoided any tech and I took a couple spills on the first couple rides. My last 2 rides were incident free. The only thing that scares me with clipless pedals are skinnies. Like legitimately skinny skinnys. Not sure how that would go if I don't nail it.

For giggles, I threw my flats back on my bike for today's ride to see how they feel. I want to maintain my ability to hop and control the bike with my weight so I am sure I throw flats on from time to time.
for me if I ever do a bike park, I would go back to my clipless set up for sure. I feel secure locked onto the bike.

Top Bottom