Switchbacks to top of high mountan

roc

Big thanks and Praise go to the people making the trails at high mountain!!
Has anyone ever made it to the top of those switchbacks without stopping?

Off The Road Again

I think I have...once...maybe. Taking it clockwise i usually get tripped up at bottom switchback, and short steep rocky section near top, and again at last sharp turn up steep rocks just before summit. Then I die. Haven't tried up from other direction yet.
Fun trails!

roc

My buddy did it the other day, I really was in awe! I have hiked that section a lot of times and always new it was theoretically possible, but seeing it done was amazing. It's my new goal for the summer, along with drinking less, and eating better, and working smarter and being a better parent.

jmtbiker

I make it up most of the time as long as conditions are good. The key is to pace yourself & catch your breath in between switchbacks.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I missed this thread somehow. When I go to the top, I usually go clockwise and generally make all the climbs. There's a spot that would often give me trouble, but with the fatty traction it is considerably easier. I once went the other direction and had problems with the really tight and steep switchbacks on my 29er. I tried it again on the fatty a few weeks ago and made everything except the one really tight right turn near the top. This turn is really tight though, to the point that I've gone down there a few times when trying to ride it in the downhill direction. Last time I just managed to save myself by grabbing onto a tree. I've said it before, but it's no surprise that the dude that's been riding here 3-4 days a week for years is a regular on the Cat 1 podium.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My buddy did it the other day, I really was in awe! I have hiked that section a lot of times and always new it was theoretically possible, but seeing it done was amazing. It's my new goal for the summer, along with drinking less, and eating better, and working smarter and being a better parent.

......and ride with your buddies from Allamuchy.

jmtbiker

I was referring to riding counter clockwise switchbacks from yellow to top, but make it most of the time either way.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
You can do clockwise and counter clockwise from the yellow. I think it would be easier to phrase it north to south and vice versa.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions