SURF does not SUCK

Managed to sneak out of work early Friday and hit the southern end of LBI for an afternoon/evening session. Swell size died down a bit but the offshore wind was really making some nicely shaped waves. Even got under a few curls too. Probably wishful thinking, but let's hope that we get more waves like this before the kooks come out full force for summer!

any of you guys make it out this morning or planning to this afternoon? My buddy said the wind is from the NE (he's on LBI) but that there is some fun swell with not too much texture. Just wanted to see if anyone could report on conditions. If its decent, I might high-tail it to Belmar or even LBI if I can get out of work early enough.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I hit a good spot yesterday that I have never seen break before.

The sand is all over the place. Way different than in the last 10+ years.

Forgot my boots and the boys at spellbinders took good care of me.

Cold enough maybe for gloves but I went w/o.

Even a short session does way more to clear your mind than a bike ride.

wafflin

I got out after work on Wednesday down by Spellbinders too. The wind was a little on it in the evening but there was still some size before the tide went out. Caught a few fun ones.

THATmanMANNY

educate me

So where do you go to get a surf report? Hi tide low tide? When should I hit the water?

I really want to surf like every day when I am down at LBI for the week starting next friday! Hot spots at LBI? Clue me in! I'll drive up and down the island to where ever.

THATmanMANNY

So I picked up a Canyon 6'6"x20x2.75 square tail, bulk board made in china maybe?, hand shaped tho, okay for a cheap first board I guess. Better than no surfboard

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
So where do you go to get a surf report? Hi tide low tide? When should I hit the water?

I really want to surf like every day when I am down at LBI for the week starting next friday! Hot spots at LBI? Clue me in! I'll drive up and down the island to where ever.

I think the folks that are here are surfing much farther north than LBI. Im not even sure there are any real "hot spots" on the island.

THATmanMANNY

I'll stop in the surf shop brah
Well, I know there is surf cause everyone I knew/know who had/has houses down there do

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Surfing is more about paddling than it is about surfing. I would say it is about 2000x harder than it looks.

Watch the wind. The wind is everything.

Stay out of the way of others.

Watch what is going on from the beach for a long while before you even think about getting in the water.

Protect your neck at all cost.

Practice holding your breath in the bath tub.

Don't quit.

http://magicseaweed.com/Surf-City-Surf-Report/388/

any of you surfer dudes read "The Wave" by Susan Casey - I'm not a 'surfer' but do get down the shore a bit and like to body surf if there are any waves at all - anyway - this book is an amazing read that focuses on the increasing volatility of our natural environment (in particular the sea) as well giant wave surfing in general - fans of Laird and tow in will plow through this book rather quickly as it is quite a page turner

enjoy (i'm on my second read through now)

MMuller

Hey Manny, I'd advise NOT going where everyone is. That means it's a place that's a known break and where the more experienced surfers are going to be. It's the worse place for a beginner to be. (Think of a guy that just bought a bike getting out on a trail the same time as a race is going off.) If you're just starting it's better you find a little bump down the beach, maybe with a friend or two also just starting, and get some practice paddling, balancing, learning what the currents are doing, etc. After a handful of times start making your way over to the outside of the line up. Learning the rules in a line up is a whole other learning experience. Ever in Ocean Grove give a shout. Marc

dkocnj

Skip surfline and go to swell info for local wave reports. http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/long-beach-island-new-jersey.html

Check some of the local surf shop websites too for surf reports.

Also, practice your pop-ups on dry land before hitting the water. Just like Johnny Utah did in Point Break, lol. Don't wait till you get to the beach, start tonight in your living room.

I am heading to NC for a week of surfing on Saturday. Hope there is some swell for the 84 degree water.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Manny - all good advice here. One thing I want to add... Take a lesson. A private one. It will help. A lot. Especially since you won't be paddling out with anyone. Set it up for the same time as low tide. Paddling out for your first time can be like cardiac in Allamuchy for your arms.

*edit: try to go early early morning. The wind is generally calmer.

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

Thanks guys. I've had a succesful two sessions in the past catching waves on my own. Yes, I'm a beginner still and will start slow. I don't want to be reminded the experience I had, although still a good one, when I brought my Mongoose Zero-G to Diablo. Also this board is 3' shorter haha but its plenty thick so hopefully that keep me afloat. The guy I bought it from was a legit surfer so I guess he knew what I wanted from first surfboard.
COWABUNGA!

Last edited:
if you are on LBI and towards the southern end, Holyoke and the wooden jetty at the very southern end are good spots. You can surf all day there now that the lifeguards are out protecting the majority of the beaches.

don

All my kids have gotten into surfing from growing up going to the beach and being in water all year 'round (trips to grandparents in FL during the winter). Combine that with a bunch of buddies in town that surf a lot and always asking me to go. And combine that I have done most every other board sport (skateboarding, snow and some wakeboarding) but haven't done the "OG" one.

So I finally got out for my first real time yesterday after the kids and wife got me a board for father's day. Definitely an experience but had a really good time. I think once I get up and actually ride a wave (even if it's some whitewash) I'll be hooked.

From my limited knowledge and watching and talking to my kids and friends all the advice is spot on. From going out yesterday Jdog's comment of "Surfing is more about paddling than it is about surfing. I would say it is about 2000x harder than it looks." is spot-on!

Will keep going out - even if it's to keep an eye on the kids and enjoy the water and a little exercise.

Top Bottom