Super Bowl prediction gambling

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Curious about the Philly hate. Ever spend much time there? Or just hate the sports teams and/or fans?

I hate NYC because I had to commute to that stinkin shithole on a monthly basis for 31 years - and even that was far too much time there. As a rival fan I also hate the sports teams (except for the Jets, for some reason I always liked them, perhaps because they are underdogs and have similar colors to the Eagles). But I don't hate the people of NYC or the NY sports fans - don't get that at all.

What counts as much time? I'm a Giants fan, Devils fan; every interaction with a Philadelphia sports fan and their fan base is shit. That is really what it stems from. You're right, it's not so much I hate Philadelphians or the location itself, just when it comes to sports, it gets shitty. physical battles over a puck/ball bring out the best of people.

Aside from that being where i live, there a bug difference between ril south jersey and philly
Have you ever heard @743power say "home"? 'nuff said.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Curious about the Philly hate. Ever spend much time there?

So I spent a ton of time there in high school. And for me, there just wasn't anything inherently good about the place. I know that sounds like a broad stroke of nonsense, so I'll try to explain. We went there almost entirely for concerts so we were kind of in-and-out as much as possible. We would occasionally stop to eat somewhere as we left, but we really didn't "explore" too much.

Pretty much without fail, everywhere we went was sort of a shit hole, and the people were, well, less than friendly. No matter what we were doing, where we went, there was a vibe pretty much everywhere that any group of people you came across wanted to beat you up. I mean, this would happen with regularity. We would stop somewhere and with reasonable certainty a beer bottle would fly out of a car into another car, the street, anywhere. The whole negative perception of Philly fans is not unwarranted, IME.

We have gone down a few times with the kids in the last few years and it is ok/fine in the day. But to me it is sort of unremarkable. I know a lot of people like it but I find the insanity & grandeur of NYC much better. NGAF what you are doing in NYC. And for the most part nobody really wants to beat you up and you don't have beer bottles flying randomly out of cars as much. And I worked in NYC for ~10 years and yeah, it is dogshit to get in & out of. But as a user of the city, NYC is more friendly and more interesting. But it's not just NYC - Chicago, Seattle, and Boston are far more friendly than Philly in my travels around. Oklahoma City can SaD though.

I know this is a mostly bullshit/biased view, and I'll admit it. But it's what my experience has been.

rick81721

Lothar
We have gone down a few times with the kids in the last few years and it is ok/fine in the day. But to me it is sort of unremarkable. I know a lot of people like it but I find the insanity & grandeur of NYC much better. NGAF what you are doing in NYC. And for the most part nobody really wants to beat you up and you don't have beer bottles flying randomly out of cars as much. And I worked in NYC for ~10 years and yeah, it is dogshit to get in & out of. But as a user of the city, NYC is more friendly and more interesting. But it's not just NYC - Chicago, Seattle, and Boston are far more friendly than Philly in my travels around. Oklahoma City can SaD though.

I know this is a mostly bullshit/biased view, and I'll admit it. But it's what my experience has been.

We don't go to plays/theater (in fact I can't stand them) so that aspect of NYC has zero value. Other than that, what is there? Great museums? All big cities have them. Great restaurants? Ditto. To me it's not worth the hassle to get into NYC, Philly is much easier. I see no difference in "friendliness" of people in pretty much any big city, it's all basically "not very". I have seen, however, a significant difference in friendliness in the south, or at least around here.

So yeah, like many topics it comes down to personal preference and bias. Which always puzzles me when people post threads asking questions on what to buy (outside of bikes, which is a perfectly legitimate question to ask here). It comes down to personal preference - do your research and make up your own mind! I'm waiting for someone to ask what color they should paint their house, or which girlfriend they should marry!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm not going to argue, since my counter argument would be, as you say, personal preference. Let's just agree that your preferences suck ;-)
It is tough to compare NYC and philly, mainly because NYC is well, NYC. From a grandeur perspective, there is no comparison, personally I love NYC because the scale is just insane and literally everything is there. I always feel like a kid going there and staring at the buildings, it doesn’t get old, mind you I maybe go twice a year.

However, if I have to choose a city, it would be Phlly. Philly is way more accessible, you can get in an out easy and there is all the stuff you can want, except the theatre aspect. I think it has more to offer than Seattle, no question, Chicago, ok, but I went to Chicago and have zero desire to go back. Boston to, history aspect is the same but the food isn’t as good up there. Put in perspective that you ate at Friday’s (or something if the like) with the kids one of the times you were there. That isn’t exactly taking advantage of the legit awesome eateries in Philly. It isn’t like you are walking around neighborhoods in south philly with the locals, the same as you probably aren’t walking around the Bronx or Queens much.

Also, biking and skating is much more friendly in Philly, however getting in does suck.

However, as you mentioned, all of this is preference and I know it is a joke but I have never once been hit by a bottle or had any altercations there unless you are doing something dumb (liking snaking a skater at FDR on a bike, because then you deserve to be closelined).

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
However, as you mentioned, all of this is preference and I know it is a joke but I have never once been hit by a bottle or had any altercations there unless you are doing something dumb (liking snaking a skater at FDR on a bike, because then you deserve to be closelined).

Yeah I worked there for over 3 years and never saw anything like bottles being thrown. Did see lots of snowball fly at an Eagles game once tho, that was pretty funny actually. Also lived/worked in Chicago for 2 years. I don't think you can accurately gauge a place without either working or living there, but I guess that's just me.

Oh and the only story I ever heard of someone getting something thrown at them came from good ol NJ. About 10 years ago a colleague who lives in Keyport was training for marathons. He was out on a winter run in January and at 7 miles from home some kids drove up and threw a full milkshake at him - it exploded on his chest and he had to run home soaked with milkshake. Of course when he told the story at work we thought it was hilarious.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Which is it?
Asking for a friend.
Sorry, it sucks to get into by bike, meaning you gotta ride though some shit if you are coming from almost any direction.

Very accessible via car, no tolls if you come from pa and parking is semi reasonable.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ahh, Hazlet NJ...the closest thing to Philly trash;) isn't that where Dave Taylor Is from.
I will say that stereotyping people based on geographic location is SO JERSEY.

Funny thing: My father was a stereotyper. Really, it is where the word came from. Ain't got anything to do with what you'd think.........

---Here it comes, Pat is going off-the-rails again, and he can't be drunk already. Gotta be the cold meds.

So you know how i like the minutia of education - we all know about the printing press - and maybe your remember gutenberg (sp?)
invented it - there was the inverse type (you set the negative of what was printed), that was set and locked in, then repeated pages could be spewn out.
Great!!! come on now, you learned about this in 5th grade, and it was cool to read backwards/inverted....

They then took the "type" out, and went onto the next thing. What happened if you needed to reprint an earlier page?

a brilliant person said. Set the negative type, stamp it onto a paper mache mask (a positive in relief), then fill the mask with molten metal - now you have a permanent negative to print a page!
the paper mache cost very little, so if you never needed to make the metal to reprint, the cost was low.

ultimately, someone figured that you could curve the metal plate, and print continuously, rather than stamp. And that the negatives could be created by
using photoreactive metals (expose and etch) - hence artwork could be easily included.

so stereotype was doing things over and over with little change.
How Cliche' ? (hint - another printing word)

now ya know.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny thing: My father was a stereotyper. Really, it is where the word came from. Ain't got anything to do with what you'd think.........

---Here it comes, Pat is going off-the-rails again, and he can't be drunk already. Gotta be the cold meds.

So you know how i like the minutia of education - we all know about the printing press - and maybe your remember gutenberg (sp?)
invented it - there was the inverse type (you set the negative of what was printed), that was set and locked in, then repeated pages could be spewn out.
Great!!! come on now, you learned about this in 5th grade, and it was cool to read backwards/inverted....

They then took the "type" out, and went onto the next thing. What happened if you needed to reprint an earlier page?

a brilliant person said. Set the negative type, stamp it onto a paper mache mask (a positive in relief), then fill the mask with molten metal - now you have a permanent negative to print a page!
the paper mache cost very little, so if you never needed to make the metal to reprint, the cost was low.

ultimately, someone figured that you could curve the metal plate, and print continuously, rather than stamp. And that the negatives could be created by
using photoreactive metals (expose and etch) - hence artwork could be easily included.

so stereotype was doing things over and over with little change.
How Cliche' ? (hint - another printing word)

now ya know.
Disappointed.
Thought you were gonna say he could type the same thing with both hands on 2 different Underwoods simultaneously.

I'd pay to see that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Disappointed.
Thought you were gonna say he could type the same thing with both hands on 2 different Underwoods simultaneously.

I'd pay to see that.

his super power was using a pair of scissors to cut along a line. it was unreal.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I was born in one of the 5 boroughs, and still have family in most of them. I lived on LI for 11 years, and going to the city has always meant going to NYC. It will always be my favorite overall US city.

That being said, having worked in Philly from 2012-2017, worked for the Philly office from 2005 - 2012, and currently living 40 minutes east, I've spent a ton more time there in the last decade than NYC. Philly has grown on me, and more than occasionally when I say "the city" these days, I think of Philly.

There is no question that it is bicycle friendly: adequate to above average cycling infrastructure, tons of paved paths, a great cycling scene, etc. I feel much more safe from cars when road riding in Philly than I do in south jersey. I also find getting into Philly by bike super easy and fun. Even parking in Camden (if you are afraid to ride Haddon Ave) is super secure if you park at Rutgers. It is arguably the best cycling city in the northeast, and I can say with a high degree of certainty that it is the best for mountain bike trails within limits of a major northeast city. The diversity of trail systems within a hour's drive adds to it's MTB dominance.

I like both cities from a cultural perspective. Both have great scenes for music, food and art and both have a rich history to explore and learn. Both have great people, complete a-holes, and everything in between. Both have native dialects which can be endearing, funny or annoying.

I won't touch the sports rivalries, because I don't care much about them.

Top Bottom