Studded Tire -- Stubs partially out

R

rltrock

Anyone know what I can do about studs that seem to be partially out. I can push them back in w a flat head screwdriver, but am worried about perhaps puncturing the tube. I have a Schwalbe 301 (?)

Any ideas?

From what I hear, losing studs is part of having studded tires and can be expected.

But, I would say if you really want to, you can try to force them back in but be careful not to go deeper than their original position and create a contact area that might lead to a flat.

If you do get them re-positioned, expect that they will be just as apt to come out again.

Finally if it's excessive, ask at the LBS where you got them. They'll be sure to take care of you.

So that's what I have to say. Granted, I don't have studded tires and have never ridden on them and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, so you may want another opinion, but I' just couldn't leave a friend stranded. :D

Maybe someone that knows something will come along and refute my suggestions....
Until then, here, have a cookie...

Last edited:
Common Sense

Sometimes some simple common sense outweighs any claimed expertise. Thanks.

studded tires are designed for snow and ice. If you ride them on rocks, you will lose studs. I beleive you can have them re-studded. Check with Campmor.

studs

whose the guy/gal that was riding lewis morris over the weekend with studs? saw your tracks all over the place in there on Sunday. NICE!

ps do they work?

Back in the day...

I still can't believe nobody else responded.
Edit: Thanks, Pixy!

I assume you rode 'em a bunch at RW... How did they work for you?
I was considering making a pair for myself since I was getting tired of losing the back wheel on ice and doing body slams. This last hit to my shoulder ended my ice season. I should be riding soon, but certainly not RW till it thaws.

I was talking with my dad about riding and sliding on the ice and he told me that when he was a kid they would take lengths of steel wire and wrap them around the tires alternating through the spokes. Then they would whoop it up riding on the frozen ponds. They were riding european bikes with three speeds from Sears(way before LBS's came to town) with comfort type tires and would remove the back brake to keep it from getting jammed by the wire. They would either leave a front brake or use the 'shoe method' of stopping which meant jamming their toe quickly on the top of the tire between the fork and the frame and hopefully, pulling it back out before it got stuck and threw them OTB.

Kinda' a fun story that I had never heard before that gave me a different perspective on my dad's life. Gosh, I didn't even know they HAD bikes way back then.;)

Last edited:
I was talking with my dad about riding and sliding on the ice and he told me that when he was a kid they would take lengths of steel wire and wrap them around the tires alternating through the spokes. Then they would whoop it up riding on the frozen ponds. They were riding european bikes with three speeds from Sears(way before LBS's came to town) with comfort type tires and would remove the back brake to keep it from getting jammed by the wire.

There is no reason this wouldn't work today. With disk brakes, you don't have to disconnect them. They are out of the way. I'm curious how you dad and company tied off the ends of the wire.

I suspect the wire would do some cosmetic damage to the rims. If I had a beater MTB, I'd try this. :eek:

There is no reason this wouldn't work today. With disk brakes, you don't have to disconnect them. They are out of the way. I'm curious how you dad and company tied off the ends of the wire.

I suspect the wire would do some cosmetic damage to the rims. If I had a beater MTB, I'd try this. :eek:

I thought the same thing. He used simple steel wire or even copper:eek:(back then it had little value). They would just wrap it like a twisty-tie to finish it off and ride them until the wires broke and they had to do it again, or the chickens needed to be fed(...Idea...). I considered doing it for fun since I have access to LOTS of used guitar strings around here and it would take a ton less time to rig up than studding my own tires.

As for the rims, no real damage and he said there wasn't any real effect on the tire either. The pounding happens to the wire where it contacts the ground, if it's thinner wire, it's not going to affect the rim at all as it will break long before you get to that point, especially if you hit pavement(or rocks). Thicker wire may be more difficult to wrap and tie off. But, you couldn't do it on a pair of knobbys, they'd have to be relatively smooth for the wire to contact the ground with relatively little slippage. How about your beater road bike, Ben?

For knobbys, someone(a guy named Ben, I think:rolleyes:) put up a link a while back for chains... http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tirechains.htm check out the photo of the cleats. I think that's a great idea and would be stable and reasonably strong. I think I could easily replicate that and really cheaply. In fact, for myself, I'd try that before anything else.

Hey Ron, Ben will make you some chains if the stud thing doesn't work out;)

The studs on the Nokians can be replaced with a special tool that is hard to find. Not sure about the Schwalbe tires. My suggestion would be to try and find someone who sells them and see if they can reseat or install new studs for you.

Great story Sandi. Sounds like the same idea as chains for your car. I have seen home made studs as well.

The studs used in nokians have a flat head that fits into a void within the knob. To put them back in , I used needle nose pliers to twist and shove them in. Some water to lube the process helps, not fun. With the flat head on the stud, you can't push them in too far.

Back
Top Bottom