Strictly METAL

Captain Brainstorm

I'm going to assume that neither of you guys can hear the low E of the 8-Strings Drown in Sulfer uses? They're not tuned to Drop-D like the 90's. Drop-E. E!! E.

I can indeed hear it, I can also hear a little bit of Sepultura Troops of Doom in the tremolo picked parts. I only play 6-strings these days because my wrist is fucked from too many crashes, and it takes me forever to warm up and get my stretches. Overall, I like it (I listen to alot of White Chapel, etc. also) but I can only listen to this stuff in smaller doses. I'm old school, I like my metal with a little bit of melody and solos with a beginning, middle, and end instead of just straight shredding. And while I'm a thrash guy to the bone (Pantera is my #1 of all time), I have a soft spot for 80's hair metal, its my secret indulgence, some of those guys could PLAY!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I can indeed hear it, I can also hear a little bit of Sepultura Troops of Doom in the tremolo picked parts. I only play 6-strings these days because my wrist is fucked from too many crashes, and it takes me forever to warm up and get my stretches. Overall, I like it (I listen to alot of White Chapel, etc. also) but I can only listen to this stuff in smaller doses. I'm old school, I like my metal with a little bit of melody and solos with a beginning, middle, and end instead of just straight shredding. And while I'm a thrash guy to the bone (Pantera is my #1 of all time), I have a soft spot for 80's hair metal, its my secret indulgence, some of those guys could PLAY!

Same boat. Was raised on 80's thrash but was a Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer geek growing up. Switched to Dream Theater later in life. These days I either listen to instrumental stuff like Animals as Leaders/Chimp Spanner or brutal Slam or Tech Death.

Captain Brainstorm

Same boat. Was raised on 80's thrash but was a Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer geek growing up. Switched to Dream Theater later in life. These days I either listen to instrumental stuff like Animals as Leaders/Chimp Spanner or brutal Slam or Tech Death.

Tosin Abasi's playing is next level, that guy is doing some amazing stuff, he's the total package.

I'm a die-hard 80's thrash guy, but Pantera got me through the 90's when Metallica went to shit. I also HATE grunge, I'm so glad it only lasted like 4 years, but it unfortunately spawned Nu Metal. I was the biggest Metallica fan ever, I learned to every song on every album. It may sound cliche, but I felt betrayed after the Black album. Sure they've kind of gotten back these days, but Kirk Hammett needs to practice more, I think he forgot how to play solos. Interesting note on Megadeth, you see that new iPhone commercial where they use Last Rites/Loved to Deth? Never in a million years did I think that anything from that album would ever make it onto a prime time commercial. And kiko Loureiro is their best guy since Marty.

Steve Vai

After the Black Album I made a hard left turn into Cannibal Corpse and Carcass and Death.

Captain Brainstorm

After the Black Album I made a hard left turn into Cannibal Corpse and Carcass and Death.

After the Black album my hard left was into Naplam Death, Pestilence, Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, and Fear Factory (was already into Obituary and Coroner since high school), with a hard right into Dream Theater, Life of Agony, Prong, and the first White Zombie and Manson albums (both of which still hold up today).

My reception to the Black album was lukewarm because I’d already been listening to Cowboys from Hell, which moved the thrash needle way forward for me. Then Vulgar Display came out and I was like “Metallica who?”.

Steve Vai

These guys are a hootin' good time. I'm not sure what hole I'm heading into at the moment but it gets weirder each band I find...I think these guys just detune the strings to no actual note, it just flaps on the neck.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After the Black album my hard left was into Naplam Death, Pestilence, Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, and Fear Factory (was already into Obituary and Coroner since high school), with a hard right into Dream Theater, Life of Agony, Prong, and the first White Zombie and Manson albums (both of which still hold up today).

My reception to the Black album was lukewarm because I’d already been listening to Cowboys from Hell, which moved the thrash needle way forward for me. Then Vulgar Display came out and I was like “Metallica who?”.
Vulgar Display of Power is still one of the hardest albums of our time. Bonus points for Dime playing in standard and not tuning down to the brown noise.

Captain Brainstorm

These guys are a hootin' good time. I'm not sure what hole I'm heading into at the moment but it gets weirder each band I find...I think these guys just detune the strings to no actual note, it just flaps on the neck.

And I thought I was getting too dark with The Black Dahlia Murder. How do you tune that low and still have string tension without using gigantic strings? Whats even more impressive are the blast beats and double base, the drummer is a machine.

Captain Brainstorm

Vulgar Display of Power is still one of the hardest albums of our time. Bonus points for Dime playing in standard and not tuning down to the brown noise.

Actually, Dime is down-tuning for most of the album. I've been playing along with Walk recently, and he tunes down to D and a quarter, or something like that. Its D, but a little lower. And that song still has one of the best solos of all time.

Steve Vai

And I thought I was getting too dark with The Black Dahlia Murder. How do you tune that low and still have string tension without using gigantic strings? Whats even more impressive are the blast beats and double base, the drummer is a machine.

No idea. My 8-String uses a 62 for the low E and that's floppy. It's impossible to get a good pick feel to do triplets or any kind of fast stuff. A lot of these bands double-drop. So the first 7 strings are drop A, like Korn or any of the older Deathcore bands, then they drop the F# to an E so the bottom 4 strings are EAEA. Animals as Leaders is also Drop E but Tosin obviously uses it for that tappy/slap stuff so his left hand doesn't have to think much, it's all root, 5th, octave, then he adds color with the right hand notes.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

well - i couldn't stop watching....
they should use this for the intro to the walking dead.

wtf is Slitering? (0:47 mark)
other than a shibboleth....

Top Bottom