Strava is spying on me

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you use Strava, you've probably noticed that it recommends athletes that you should follow. Three show up on the main screen, and you can click "view all" to see a list of 20. For several weeks now, Strava has been telling me I should follow this dude Colin. I looked at the list of 20 names, and I pretty much recognize all of them as people I know, or as friends of friends. They all show that we have mutual followers, but not Colin. I look at his activities, and see he has done five runs this year, and two bike rides last year, and that's it. He barely follows anyone or has any followers. In other words, we have nothing in common, and he barely uses Strava at all.

So why does Strava want me to follow him? Probably because he's one of my brother's best friends from college. But how does Strava know that he is one of my brother's best friends? My brother doesn't use Strava, and I don't use FB, so the only thing I can think of is that Strava is colluding with Google, since I do have his Gmail address in my Gmail history. I really don't care, but I do find this very interesting.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMG_3092.PNG

This thread sucks.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
If you use Strava, you've probably noticed that it recommends athletes that you should follow. Three show up on the main screen, and you can click "view all" to see a list of 20. For several weeks now, Strava has been telling me I should follow this dude Colin. I looked at the list of 20 names, and I pretty much recognize all of them as people I know, or as friends of friends. They all show that we have mutual followers, but not Colin. I look at his activities, and see he has done five runs this year, and two bike rides last year, and that's it. He barely follows anyone or has any followers. In other words, we have nothing in common, and he barely uses Strava at all.

So why does Strava want me to follow him? Probably because he's one of my brother's best friends from college. But how does Strava know that he is one of my brother's best friends? My brother doesn't use Strava, and I don't use FB, so the only thing I can think of is that Strava is colluding with Google, since I do have his Gmail address in my Gmail history. I really don't care, but I do find this very interesting.
IMG_3278.GIF

rlb

It's annoying how all of this shit gets tied together. Barely related, but I was looking into the android auto app which basically gives you a simple UI for when you're driving (calls, music, & nav and that's it). It also has a voice activated search, which I presume will allow me to say "Ok google, call JimN's bother's friend Colin on mobile". Or maybe it will just call my contacts, but you get it.

Anyway, in order to use the voice function you need to activate the google assistant. Ok. In order to activate google assistant you need to enable location history, web browsing history, and allow it to keep recordings all of the stuff you ask it to search. Fuck that.

rick81721

Lothar

I always laugh when I see one of the people strava keeps bugging me to follow!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I am of two minds on this ...

On the one hand, I'd like to explain that even if it weren't for the Strava condition outlined above, online profiling based on big data is happening via machine learning data models all the time, and even though people create those models base don fairly basic mathematical logic, currently there is NO ONE who really understands how they work in total. Seriously, no one knows how they arrive at their conclusions because the processes are way too complex.

But on the other hand ... this ...

Top Bottom