Strava data shows running commute faster than auto in some cities

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It takes me 45 minutes to drive to work with very few lights. The fastest I've done it on a bicycle is 38 minutes and average around 50 minutes on the Fat Bike. It's really a no brainer to ditch the car most days.

Mahnken

Takes me 28 minutes with my crappy single speed and 18 by car. Mornings aren't bad because I leave by 530 and there's not a lot of cars on the road. But when I leave work everyone is in a mad dash to get home and it's impossible to get home without getting onto a road with no shoulders or sidewalks. And apparently people seem to hate cyclists around here, because I get people that try to hit me at least twice on every ride home. One of these days I'll make out a better route, but it'll probably be three times the distance. Which I wouldn't mind, just need to figure it out.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I wonder if more people would ride their bike to and from work if the routes were more bike friendly.
Not that many, that being said, distance is the killer and flexibility if you need to somewhere at lunch or whatever. Suburbanization killed the bike commuter.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I wonder if more people would ride their bike to and from work if the routes were more bike friendly.

I would 100% my biggest issue is riding on RT 10 where it ends with 46 and 80 junction or riding on Howard Blvd which I think is suicide since there is no shoulder and people do 70 there normally. Then I'd have to find a way around Columbia turnpike.

Xler8

I definitely think they would. Especially with e-bikes becoming more popular.

This is where I see ebikes shine. If there were more areas designated for bikes, more people might be a little more apt to take to the streets more often.

And it’s not just the commute to and from work. I have a couple grocery stores within a couple miles of home. The choice is always to drive. Be nice to get out on a ebike grocery hauler. Numerous possibilities...

Too bad big oil and big auto have such a foothold that people can’t see alternatives even when they are right in front of their faces.

Top Bottom