storing digital music questions (windows)

qclabrat

This is true. I have a variety of pro audio interfaces (firewire, adat lightpipe, pci) and the sound quality is no comparison to the $1 chips, esp when you are listening to 32-bit/96+ kHz wav files. Having said that the $1 chips have come a long way. I remember in the 90's plugging headphones/speakers into my PC was unlistenable and you needed to get at least a cheap SoundBlaster card. These days I am less picky about sound quality, but that's also cause I don't really have time to sit down at home and enjoy sound quality so most of my listening is sporadicly on the road.

nice setup, there's so much going on in that rack.
what are powering the Alessi monitors with?
another thing I'd like to try to setup is a mini version like yours for kids, we talked about it last year, but I'm not musical so scares me a bit

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is true. I have a variety of pro audio interfaces (firewire, adat lightpipe, pci) and the sound quality is no comparison to the $1 chips, esp when you are listening to 32-bit/96+ kHz wav files. Having said that the $1 chips have come a long way. I remember in the 90's plugging headphones/speakers into my PC was unlistenable and you needed to get at least a cheap SoundBlaster card. These days I am less picky about sound quality, but that's also cause I don't really have time to sit down at home and enjoy sound quality so most of my listening is sporadicly on the road.

Underground Dubstep artist.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I've been using foobar to manage my music for a few years now and it works great. Add files to the que (browse or drag/drop) and from there its a right-click to convert, tag, and re-name. The tagging and renaming tools are pretty powerful. You can use existing fields and a bunch of functions (left, right, mid etc) to tease out and clean up what you need in your tags. You can do them in batch or one by one. Renaming can read tags as well so you can put together formulas to tease out what you want. I have a set formula based on tags to organize my files as shown below. Definitely worth a look!

View attachment 45700

Thanks for the picture, this is what I'm doing I choose media monkey but it pretty much does what foobar does. the ability to rename tag files is great.

Reactions: rlb

qclabrat

are any of you also using mediamonkey for mgmt of movies? I started using it years ago, but switched to DVDfab to rip and store. Neither had good file mgmt features at the time. Since movie streaming has improved so much in the past 2 years I no longer rip. I still have about 2TB of movies, which is still my preferred method of casual viewing, since my AV setup doesn't run through my good speakers.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
are any of you also using mediamonkey for mgmt of movies? I started using it years ago, but switched to DVDfab to rip and store. Neither had good file mgmt features at the time. Since movie streaming has improved so much in the past 2 years I no longer rip. I still have about 2TB of movies, which is still my preferred method of casual viewing, since my AV setup doesn't run through my good speakers.
No, haven't touched my movies, but I only have 20 to 30dvds. and we hardly watch them.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I'll check out media monkey too, maybe it does something a little better!
And I'll check foobar.

Media monkey is also a media server. Today I was wifi ing music off my pc and playing it through my blue tooth speakers.

Everybody can make fun of me, but I thought was pretty cool. It sounded as good as the limitations of the speakers.

Reactions: rlb

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I'm kinda of embarrassed at my last post :(

I guess I've been busy doing other stuff.

So, what I am doing-

1. Burning cd's in wav format in a "download folder". I found this was the quickest way to get them in a digital format
2. Then using media monkey I clean it up a bit - changing genre/ artist name etc
3. Once I get enough cd's - I'm converting them to ogg loseless format and addingthem to my music library. (this process takes longer than I thought - maybe overnight for 400 + songs)
4 . Then using medai monky I put them in folders: artist - album - songs
5. I can them sync my library on my phone to get the updated songs in my library(this option is free for 15 days - I'll probably buy this.)
6. Overall I am happy with the results. I can tell a slight difference in my car between the cd recording and my phone only with cds that are very good recordings (a few Diana Krall cd's and Dire straits Money for Nothing cd's)

Top Bottom