Storage Wars Readington

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Earlier this week, I was tasked with helping my mother box up a bunch of her collectibles and other nonsense to take to an auction being held at the convention center at Raritan Center this weekend.

As we are loading up, I see what I think is a beat up old violin case. Knowing my sister and I never touched an instrument, I asked what it was. My mother said it was an old mandolin that she got after my dad's mother died years ago. She thinks my great grandfather used to play it on the farm in Indiana.

No one really knows much about the man. I heard some stories from my dad and my grandparents about him. He was usually drunk, cheated at cards, and was banned from most of the bars in Beech Grove, which was the suburb of Indy that the farm was in. He used to let people dump trash at the back of the farm for a small fee and then my dad had to light a gasoline-soaked fire while my drunk great grandfather would shoot the rats that ran out of the garbage piles. You know, high society type.

I open the case and I found a Gibson Model A2 or A2Z mandolin in really nice shape. I tell mom she should hold on to it because it could be worth some decent coin. She balks but I tell her I do the research for her for a finder's fee.

Here are a few shots:

IMG_20151204_170224.jpg

IMG_20151204_155930760.jpg

IMG_20151204_170314.jpg

IMG_20151204_170336.jpg

After reading a bit online, I am able to determine:

1) It is a Gibson Mandolin A2 or A2Z model, commonly referred to as a "snakehead" model from the "Loar" era

2) It was manufactured sometime between 1923-1929. Which year can greatly effect the value

3) The original case is absolutely desirable and increases the value if it's in good condition

4) The snakehead models are some of the most desirable models because of the sound they produce

5) Values have skyrocketed in the last 30 years as they are harder to find in good condition

6) Retail values seem to start at about $800 for an unplayable, worn mandolin with no case

7) The rarest mandolins in outstanding condition with a matching case can be as much as $5500

8) I'll do some more research and see if I can find a reputable Gibson dealer that can help us out and maybe restring and tune it

I think my mom will want to sell it regardless. I'm ok with that but I wish I knew the history of it a little better.

Watch this video:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...ppraisals/1924-a2z-gibson-mandolin--201407T14

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I emailed Russo Music in Asbury Park, who is supposedly a 5-star Gibson dealer. Asked for a price on restringing it and what it might be worth.

@capedoc @jimvreeland...You guys any help here?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Mandolin is my next favorite instrument. I own all of the Iron Horse albums where they do Bluegrass versions of metal songs. I enjoy that.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Looks like a good one. I'll restring and set up for free. Don't pay anyone. Looks like $2,000 - 3,000 at 1st glance. My lawsuit may settle in January from getting hit on my bike. I'd be interested in buying.
thanks
Marc

I know enough about older instruments to be dangerous. Marc is onto something. Great find!

<coolstorybro>One of the double basses that passed through my hands I found at a music store. It was an odd size, 7/8. No real markings in it but the back was fully hand carved, no plywood. I picked it up for $600. All original hardware. The minute I played it I knew it was worth a lot more and just the fact that the back was one solid piece of carved wood meant it was worth in the low thousands of dollars at a minimum. I gigged with it for a while after having it officially set up by David Gage in NYC. The guy who worked on it also had the opportunity to work on Charles Mingus' basses. He said this one sounded like one of Mingus' thumpers. Sold it for $8k when it was time. My one antiques roadshow moment. </coolstorybro>

giff06

If forced to pay for restringing and set up, Paul Unkert in Toms River is a fairly knowledgable and talented luthier. Of course that doesn't beat Marc M's offer of Free! Great find and congrats on being smart enough to research it before deciding its not worth anything. I hope my family is just as smart someday.
Ed

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy shit dude thats a nice find. Looks like you did your homework. Interesting story too.

Russos is a great store. Iv'e been going there since the 80's...well, the Russo's in Hamilton (same family ownership). I take my guitars there for work often.

I'd take @MMuller up on his offer if I were you though.

Top Bottom