Stolen Scott ebike

bergsnj

So what's the deal with ebikes in NJ? Legal? Not legal? Don't ask don't tell? Asking for a friend.

I see ebikes on the road all the time blasting by at 25-30 mph and no one seems to care. 2 guys that I ride with just got ebikes like the one that was stolen from Pedal Montclair. They have been riding them on our local trails as well as few more popular places and it has not been a big deal. I was at the top of the Tourne resting after racing up as fast as I could go and a guy in his late 60's/early 70's came pedaling up on an ebike. I thought that was pretty cool.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
The thing with ebikes is that they really aren't motorized scooters or electric motorcycles because they still require you to pedal. There's no throttle on them so they're strictly pedal assisted only. I know there are other street only ebikes that will go without needing to pedal but I'm not talking about those. All trail worthy mountain bikes I've seen are pedal assisted only and those are the ones I'm talking about. When I pose this question to people many have their own interpretations of what they think the law is in NJ. Maybe that's because the law isn't well written or clearly defined enough but if Pedal Montclair is able to sell them (I'm assuming legally) then is it safe to assume they're legal at least on the trails? I'm wondering if anyone from that shop is on the forum and can answer that question..... without getting into trouble.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
The thing with ebikes is that they really aren't motorized scooters or electric motorcycles because they still require you to pedal. There's no throttle on them so they're strictly pedal assisted only. I know there are other street only ebikes that will go without needing to pedal but I'm not talking about those. All trail worthy mountain bikes I've seen are pedal assisted only and those are the ones I'm talking about. When I pose this question to people many have their own interpretations of what they think the law is in NJ. Maybe that's because the law isn't well written or clearly defined enough but if Pedal Montclair is able to sell them (I'm assuming legally) then is it safe to assume they're legal at least on the trails? I'm wondering if anyone from that shop is on the forum and can answer that question..... without getting into trouble.
Pedal Montclair likely has a lot of wealthy customers that just want to zip around the Hamptons or their second home with a fancy toy.
I recently dropped an e biker on a climb in ringwood, with that and what I’ve heard from others, I’m starting to think that pedal assist bikes aren’t going to turn out of shape riders into maniacs flying through trails at out of control speeds, as was the fear.

tonyride

I see ebikes on the road all the time blasting by at 25-30 mph and no one seems to care. 2 guys that I ride with just got ebikes like the one that was stolen from Pedal Montclair. They have been riding them on our local trails as well as few more popular places and it has not been a big deal. I was at the top of the Tourne resting after racing up as fast as I could go and a guy in his late 60's/early 70's came pedaling up on an ebike. I thought that was pretty cool.
That's what I'm talking about. I'm getting up there in age but I don't see my love for mountain biking fading anytime soon. So as I get older and legs get weaker I want to still be able to enjoy the sport. These bikes can also get those who would otherwise be intimidated by mountain biking to at least get out and ride. They still get to get outdoors, get their heart rate up, move their legs, and get some meaningful workout. It's a lot more fun than going to the gym and be stuck on a treadmill or stationary bike like a hamster.

tonyride

Pedal Montclair likely has a lot of wealthy customers that just want to zip around the Hamptons or their second home with a fancy toy.
I recently dropped an e biker on a climb in ringwood, with that and what I’ve heard from others, I’m starting to think that pedal assist bikes aren’t going to turn out of shape riders into maniacs flying through trails at out of control speeds, as was the fear.
I hear you and I know there's no substitution for skill and experience and I have no expectations of ebikes helping riders to become speed demons or ride better. It might for some but that's not my expectation. My expectations of ebikes is that they get more people into the sport of mountain biking. It helps those who are really out of shape to take the first step towards improving their health. It helps those who are already riding to keep riding well into their retirement age. I can preach all day about the potential benefits of ebikes but before that we need to know if it is even legal to have them on the trails in NJ.

rick81721

Lothar
I hear you and I know there's no substitution for skill and experience and I have no expectations of ebikes helping riders to become speed demons or ride better. It might for some but that's not my expectation. My expectations of ebikes is that they get more people into the sport of mountain biking. It helps those who are really out of shape to take the first step towards improving their health. It helps those who are already riding to keep riding well into their retirement age. I can preach all day about the potential benefits of ebikes but before that we need to know if it is even legal to have them on the trails in NJ.

According to this, sounds like no one is going to stop you. People are riding them on trails now

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1P-pY6gGSe7DtotXxex5k4

tonyride

Top Bottom