Stirling Forest MTB

Bleeder

JORBA:President
RfH9UViJtBGwqbf88

MuniMan

I took a run thru last Sunday morning. The part of section B that is complete is really sweet. Side hill with just enough grade reversals to make it nice and flowing.

MuniMan

Section B is shaping up nicely. Did some digging this morning, got to love it when a rock goes in exactly perfect on the first try. Then I made a track and took a few spills.

IMG_3191-800.jpg

IMG_3198-800.png

Last edited:

MuniMan

The upper half of section B is coming together now too. I got up there today for the morning. The crew said that others have been out helping also.

MuniMan

Work is moving over to section E near the mulch pile. Sections A and B are largely complete. A has seen a lot of finishing touches put on it in the past week. It's a bit of a different ride now. B is really nice also. The side hills on that section are so much better than road that it bypasses. Kudos to all those who have worked on this project.

MuniMan

I signed up for tomorrow but do not know where to report.....

Scott

Put this into google maps. 41.207060, -74.239828

Otherwise, on Long Meadow Road, just north of the Sterling Lake is a big mulch pile operation. Just north of that is a lot on the same side of the road (right). Park in that lot. (Its about 5 miles from the road that goes from Sloatsburg to Ringwood.) Trail starts in the back right by the decrepit shed and goes in front of the pond that you can see using Google Earth. Progress was only about 200 yards into the woods along the woods road as of last Sunday afternoon.

Do the online release/workman's comp enrollment thing if you haven't done so already. http://surveys.parks.ny.gov/s/NYNJTC_VSA/

Check out the south end of the trail too. Park at the Red Back trail lot on South Gate Road for that.

I'm going to try and get up there again on Saturday.

Last edited:

Bleeder

A big big thank you!

Thanks to a generous grant from REI, Palisades MTB was able to work with Rockland Conservation and Service Corps to bring two additional trail crew to the project. Alyson Oostdyk and Joshua Tipa, spent June and July working side by side with the Americorp trail crew under supervision of the NYNJ Trail Conference.

Redback trail sections A & B in Sterling Forest were completed. Work now moves North to connect to the Caretaker parking lot off long Meadow Road. Lot to lot riding will soon be a reality before we begin work on the Eagle section of the trail.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Section E is now very near completion and section F has been raked and partially brushed out. Its going to be 3.8 miles between the two parking lots. It'll be a 7 or so mile loop once sections G-J and K are done.

Cool Video!!! can't wait to get up there and check it out

Bleeder

Wednesdays in the Woods. I'll be working the new Redback trail from about 4-4:30 until dark. Join me.
697 Long Meadow Road, Tuxedo Park, NY 10987 Parking lot just past the mulch pile. Trail starts at end of lot, follow woods road until you see the trail on the right.

Bleeder

We have been approved to build the next 5 mile section at Sterling Forest thanks in large part to the number of volunteers that turned out to help. In no small part to the efforts of @MuniMan

Fall trail building starts up at Sterling Forest. November 12th and 19th. Details are in the Sterling Forest Trail Crew group in Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/273172619746515/

On Black Friday 11/25 we will be participating in REI's opt outside with a ride at Sterling. Come and check out the freshest dirt. More details to follow.

Bleeder

Hey guys, we have to cancel the trail build on the 19th. It's opening day of rifle season and park would prefer we don't build that weekend. See you all on the 12th.

MuniMan

image.jpeg
Today's digging went well. 20+ people were there. About 500 of the 750 feet got roughed in, some parts more complete than others, and the remainder was raked and brushed. 2 more sessions like today and it will be well on its way to being rideable!

Thanks to all who came out and pitched in!

image.jpeg

The largest boulders fortunately were loose scree.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom