Stewart Ant Hill area

RSAmerica

Anyone know what the status is of the Ant Hill Area in Stewart. The spring storm took down a lot of trees and blocked the trail. Has it be cleared out?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Everyone I know that rides there regularly has stayed off ant hill since the storms months ago. I never really venture out that way unless it's been dry for a few weeks, otherwise it's a swamp in spots. Might ride Stewart tomorrow. I'll report if I feel like heading that way.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any update on the Ant Hill Trail?
I had a friend say that it was not cleared last time he was there about a month or so ago. As per another guy, they had no plans to clear it as it's apparently not an official trail, which I was unaware of. Maybe message Stewards of Stewart on FB for confirmation?

huffster

I like having that connection. Since I live in Rockland, I like to start at the S Barron Rd entrance and that Ant Hill area provides a nice access in or out. I'm gonna have to get up there some time soon and see what the deal is. It's hard to imagine its been completely closed off. But, I guess I'll have to see for myself. I just don't know when. Whoever gets there next, please update.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
SOS will not/cannot work in that area.
I didn't know that, hence why I said you can confirm. I'm assuming it has to do with the whole bird conservation area and power tools?

Reports of a bunch of ride arounds made by dirt bikes there though.

Mildly Wild

Thanks. Must have been thru this at some point before but don't recall seeing the ant hills. Thanks for the trailforks link.

huffster

Just confirming. I went in from South Barron. The trails to the west of S Barron rd are completely trashed. Trees down like crazy. For awhile I was able to get around things but then the whole area started to become impassable. I turned back. This is both above and below Decker Rd to the west of pistol range.

Then I went over to Ant Hill area. It was good for 1/2 mile or so and then the trail is blocked solid. Since there is poison ivy like crazy over there I did not try too hard to bushwhack. It does look like there has been effort to clear stuff, so it was likely worse and is slowly getting cleaned up.

Top Bottom