Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

I rode Ringwood Tuesday, I stayed on the skylands trail which is typically very resilient, it was a shit show. Sterling tends to have challenges with wet weather, I would say we need a drop in temps before Sterling will be healthy for riding

I rode Ringwood Tuesday, I stayed on the skylands trail which is typically very resilient, it was a shit show. Sterling tends to have challenges with wet weather, I would say we need a drop in temps before Sterling will be healthy for riding
Most trails in northern NJ are going to be soggy this weekend. A while back I headed over to Sterling on a wet day and after I started riding I decided it was a bad idea and turned back.

A bit off topic, but I took a drive over the river and rode at Sprain Ridge Park last weekend and conditions were fantastic. I'm talking like mid-summer hardpack and dust conditions. I did 8 miles and rode through maybe 2 small puddles. Worth the trip for anyone really itching to ride somewhere.

Most trails in northern NJ are going to be soggy this weekend. A while back I headed over to Sterling on a wet day and after I started riding I decided it was a bad idea and turned back.

A bit off topic, but I took a drive over the river and rode at Sprain Ridge Park last weekend and conditions were fantastic. I'm talking like mid-summer hardpack and dust conditions. I did 8 miles and rode through maybe 2 small puddles. Worth the trip for anyone really itching to ride somewhere.
Thanks. Hopefully ppl stay away for a bit and let the trails dry out.

Mtbdog

Planning to ride with a group on Sunday 2/17 and was wondering how trail conditions are shaping up. Any info relating to the trail is appreciated. How does the system hold up to rain and any other pertinent info as the week progresses will be helpful. Supposed to get rain Friday into Saturday?

Planning to ride with a group on Sunday 2/17 and was wondering how trail conditions are shaping up. Any info relating to the trail is appreciated. How does the system hold up to rain and any other pertinent info as the week progresses will be helpful. Supposed to get rain Friday into Saturday?
i would expect conditions to be bad 2/17. snow expected tomorrow with more precipitation friday into saturday. the system does not do particularly well with rain or freeze thaw cycle unfortunately

Mtbdog

i would expect conditions to be bad 2/17. snow expected tomorrow with more precipitation friday into saturday. the system does not do particularly well with rain or freeze thaw cycle unfortunately
Thank you @xrjx appreciated if you could update towards end of week but this is just what I was asking.

Chances are slim that conditions will be good. We are in the middle of a freeze-thaw cycle. Temps are supposed to be near 50 today with showers and then continued daytime temps above freezing again Saturday and Sunday. There might be some snow/ice covering the trails in spots. Even with an early am ride, what can harden up over night will probably be a frozen rutty mess and what isn't will be suscptible to more damage.

Mtbdog

Cancelled the ride as per all suggestions. Thank you for your input to keep the trails right. We're headed to High Mt. Sunday 10am College lot (red trailhead) 100 University Drive Wayne,N.J. 07470 if anyone would like to join. Thanks again for your help.

Mtbdog

Gonna do a recon tomorrow, but wet more than all else. East facing slopes still have some snow and ice. West facing slopes are wet but not so bad. The fire roads are streams as normal. Looking at Sunday for a ride.