Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I just wanted to share some info for readers, and this is not pointed to any one person. Everyone has the right to their own opinion as to why a trail is a good trail. As a trail builder myself, I can tell you that we are not governed by just your own opinion. When building legal trails there are many things to consider. FYI, trails at Sterling have to fall within guidelines dictated by the state of NY. Things like corridor width, tread width etc. A new trail can only be built when the old one does meet standards. Hence the crossing of old trails. These are actually re-routes. Trail builders work very hard to follow rules and try to create a workable solution.

As for multiple lines, the only good line is one that people will stay on. Thinking that you can block easy lines successfully is a lie, not to mention egotistic. A trail builder must be ahead of the game and create a desirable line or even two if that is what it takes to keep folks on the trail. If only one line is allowed, then all trails would be either boring or short cut into two lines. I am in favor of good alternate lines, and inviting trails.

The bottom line is that trails should be legal and open to bikers of all ages and abilities. I have gone riding other places and I am always reminded of how great the trails are in my backyard, and now I can say that we have variety too.

gingertooth

I just wanted to share some info for readers, and this is not pointed to any one person. Everyone has the right to their own opinion as to why a trail is a good trail. As a trail builder myself, I can tell you that we are not governed by just your own opinion. When building legal trails there are many things to consider. FYI, trails at Sterling have to fall within guidelines dictated by the state of NY. Things like corridor width, tread width etc. A new trail can only be built when the old one does meet standards. Hence the crossing of old trails. These are actually re-routes. Trail builders work very hard to follow rules and try to create a workable solution.

As for multiple lines, the only good line is one that people will stay on. Thinking that you can block easy lines successfully is a lie, not to mention egotistic. A trail builder must be ahead of the game and create a desirable line or even two if that is what it takes to keep folks on the trail. If only one line is allowed, then all trails would be either boring or short cut into two lines. I am in favor of good alternate lines, and inviting trails.

The bottom line is that trails should be legal and open to bikers of all ages and abilities. I have gone riding other places and I am always reminded of how great the trails are in my backyard, and now I can say that we have variety too.
Please excuse my actions Ellen, some of you already know that my blood is tainted by the Devil....

FitmanNJ

Sounds like this is a fun trail system, and conditions should be good for tomorrow (Sunday, 7/8/18). Is 116 Old Forge Rd, Tuxedo Park, NY a good place to park and access a trailhead (grabbed that off of the Sterling Forest State Park Facebook page)? Is there a better place to park and hit the trailhead(s) from? A street address and/or GPS coordinates would be great. Thanks!

huffster

Put 1220 long meadow road, tuxedo park, NY in your GPS. That should put you right at the care taker lot.

huffster

Other entrance: 269 S Gate Rd, Tuxedo Park NY. That should land you right across from Buttonwood Rd. The trailhead is across from there.

FitmanNJ

Put 1220 long meadow road, tuxedo park, NY in your GPS. That should put you right at the care taker lot.
Thanks, Huffster. I found some GPS coordinates on Trailforks.com for what I think they call the "South Lot" (closer for me): N41.1763440, W-74.2269320. Are the two locations you've mentioned the "North" and "South" Lots? If so, which is which?

Thanks, again -- I'm excited to give these trails a go!

FitmanNJ

North and south lots on here:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/redback-hutchinson/

There should be a map in the south lot on kiosk. Flow works side is still under construction, so you may need to connect on fire roads in the middle.
Got the directions to the trailhead worked out, and I understand where I'm going to have to ride some fireroads to connect two of the trails still being completed. Thanks.

bucknejo

Hey team, I'd like to ride Sterling tomorrow and looking at doing an out and back on the redback/hutchinson trail starting at the buttonwood road trail head -> longmeadow road. looks like a long climb up but maybe a nice downhill home.

- is this a legal trail?
- is this more technical than jungle? about the same?
- can it be done in about an hour for an advanced intermediate?
- are there active bears here?

huffster

It’s a legal trail

The stretch you are planning to ride has some spots similar to Jungle but overall it is smoother and less rocky

Close to an hour. May go a little over. I did the whole 9 mile loop in about 1.5 hours today. I’m not fast.

There are bears in Sterling. I haven’t seen 1 in awhile, but it’s possible.

bucknejo

It’s a legal trail

The stretch you are planning to ride has some spots similar to Jungle but overall it is smoother and less rocky

Close to an hour. May go a little over. I did the whole 9 mile loop in about 1.5 hours today. I’m not fast.

There are bears in Sterling. I haven’t seen 1 in awhile, but it’s possible.

Cool, thanks - appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to a break from all rocks all the time.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well heck, while we’re here...

Are there mosquitoes at Sterling? Asking for a friend.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions