Sterling Forest Trail Building

Kaleidopete

NYNJTC winter 2018 newsletter on multi-use trails.

Image12.jpg

Image13.jpg

Image14.jpg

Bleeder

JORBA:President
We are itching to complete the connection between Palisades and Floworks this year. But first we're going to build a bridge on Hutch over the wet spot by the 55 gallon drum. First we need to get our materials to the site. We started shuttling the planks down the trail from the north end. So in the spirit of many hands make light the work. Feel free to grab a plank and move it down the trial, you don't have to go all the way, but every bit helps. The park will be dumping more wood and we'll be scheduling trail days. In the meantime, give the trails some love and let them dry out before you ride.

MuniMan

I might be up for some lumber movement, more details please.

Some of this wood has been moved. The rest and more needs to be carried about a mile up the trail. If you don’t recognize the spot, this is where the trail leaves the woods road a hundred yards or so up from the Caretaker lot by the Mulch Pile.

508A2176-204A-4733-9285-AEEBCB412120.png

huffster

As of yesterday at 5:00P there was no pile at that intersection. But, if I go back there, I'll keep an eye out for a new pile.

Just to be clear, this is headed up Hutchinson toward Redback, right?

MuniMan

As of yesterday at 5:00P there was no pile at that intersection. But, if I go back there, I'll keep an eye out for a new pile.

Just to be clear, this is headed up Hutchinson toward Redback, right?

Yes. Towards Redback. The bridge is going to be built at the big swampy stream crossing that is about a mile up Hutch where the trail is on the old woods road.

Some people did work on carrying the wood last Saturday but it did not all get up to where the bridge is to be built.

Thanks.

Last edited:

huffster

The main stack is about 1/4 mile up the trail from intersection pictured above. This afternoon, I moved 5 pieces further up the trail. 4 were moved to the next pile and 1 made it the full mile. That wood was heavier than I expected, but progress is progress.

The 2nd pic shows the destination, and at the moment, shows exactly why a bridge would be great in this spot. Its usually not this wet, but it is almost always wet.

I also cleared the trail of all debris for that mile. I think I did a thousand squats picking up branches/sticks from the trail. Not too much saw work was needed, so I assume someone else may have done some already.

These pictures also show that the trails are nowhere near ready to ride.

IMG_0650[1].JPG

IMG_0649[1].JPG

Kaleidopete

The main stack is about 1/4 mile up the trail from intersection pictured above. This afternoon, I moved 5 pieces further up the trail. 4 were moved to the next pile and 1 made it the full mile. That wood was heavier than I expected, but progress is progress.

The 2nd pic shows the destination, and at the moment, shows exactly why a bridge would be great in this spot. Its usually not this wet, but it is almost always wet.

I also cleared the trail of all debris for that mile. I think I did a thousand squats picking up branches/sticks from the trail. Not too much saw work was needed, so I assume someone else may have done some already.

View attachment 66632
View attachment 66631
Good job! Not 5 pieces at once I hope!

you need a helper....
81NQJl7BiHL._SL1500_.jpg

MuniMan

View attachment 66632
View attachment 66631

Excellent, thanks. Green black locust is heavy wood. Maybe we could stash a case of beer there, honor system, one per board. :)

I had previously sawed through all the winter damage that I could on that section. What was left was buried in the snow. Thanks for the twigging/brushing. Its just beyond where you dropped the last board that the real mess starts.

We also plan to build some sort of structure where your first picture was taken. That might be happening sooner rather that later.

And we have been told that there is some big damage on either Redback or Munsee coming up from South Gate. The person who reported it didn't know the trail system well enough to pinpoint the exact spot. If anybody has a report we'd appreciate it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Good job! Not 5 pieces at once I hope!

you need a helper....
View attachment 66634

i was thinking about something like this - i wonder if something higher, and two people would do better?
lift over obstacles, but mostly just move forward????

power wheelbarrow? e-bike with trailer?

Thanks everyone that is helping out!!

huffster

Back at it again this afternoon. I loaded one of the wagons with the last load of decking and dragged that up the trail where the rest is piled. I was hoping to use the wagon to drag some of the big planks up to the barrel. Although I did get 4 more pieces up there it really is not that great of a solution. The weight of the boards means u have to balance them in the wagon which then makes steering difficult. Further trying to navigate a rock garden with a loaded wagon was pretty tough. Tipped it a few times. It did work well on smooth trail and the double track.

After dropping the wood off, I cleared some more branches for another 3/10 mile past the barrel. So, that’s ~1.5miles from trailhead. Of course there is the big tree just up the hill which has been down for awhile. There is another at eye level that needs a chainsaw. You can very easily get under it now - with a dismount. The further you go up the more you see trees across the trail. A chainsaw is definitely needed.

I’m up there clearing and someone actually rode up on a bike. It was all I could do to stay polite. But, I did. I think my subtle comments about the trail conditions convinced him to turn back. He wouldn’t have gotten very far before hitting major trail obstacles anyway. It was painful to see the ruts when I was going back down later.

A883769D-8EC0-4F0C-9350-EEBF0E9AC043.jpeg

281AB377-5AAE-47BB-A47F-2CF8ADD3B1EF.jpeg

5F60D0F6-F063-4CBD-BA6E-CE67365B5FBE.jpeg

MuniMan

Back at it again this afternoon. I loaded one of the wagons with the last load of decking and dragged that up the trail where the rest is piled. I was hoping to use the wagon to drag some of the big planks up to the barrel. Although I did get 4 more pieces up there it really is not that great of a solution. The weight of the boards means u have to balance them in the wagon which then makes steering difficult. Further trying to navigate a rock garden with a loaded wagon was pretty tough. Tipped it a few times. It did work well on smooth trail and the double track.

After dropping the wood off, I cleared some more branches for another 3/10 mile past the barrel. So, that’s ~1.5miles from trailhead. Of course there is the big tree just up the hill which has been down for awhile. There is another at eye level that needs a chainsaw. You can very easily get under it now - with a dismount. The further you go up the more you see trees across the trail. A chainsaw is definitely needed.

I’m up there clearing and someone actually rode up on a bike. It was all I could do to stay polite. But, I did. I think my subtle comments about the trail conditions convinced him to turn back. He wouldn’t have gotten very far before hitting major trail obstacles anyway. It was painful to see the ruts when I was going back down later.

View attachment 66678

View attachment 66679

View attachment 66691

Thanks again.

The big downed tree just above the barrel is not to be cut. We are leaving it to block what will become the old trail when we reroute the last 200’ before the bridge.

mustclime

Just a question:” why make a short fat bridge when you can make a tall skinny one?”...... quote from an old north shore Mtb video .....I always loved that quote, are there park rules on the design of the bridge? Skinny bridge would require less wood;)

huffster

I like the sound of that and saw a few flags.

Any idea if someone chainsaw certified is going to get up that way? From what I saw ahead there is plenty of work for a chainsaw. I may get back again in the next few days but I’m limited to what can be done with hand tools.

Plus I “need” to get at least 1 more piece of lumber up there to make it an even 6-pack!

Thanks again.

The big downed tree just above the barrel is not to be cut. We are leaving it to block what will become the old trail when we reroute the last 200’ before the bridge.

huffster

Round...whatever.

6-pack complete.

I continued clearing on Hutchison trail. It is clear to Redback with the exception of 4 trees needing a chainsaw. This does not include the big sucker that is intended to reroute.

From the barrel, these are at 0.13 miles (head high), 0.27 miles (knee high), 0.32 miles (waist high) and 0.50 miles (chest high), respectively.

CD77860B-92C7-4486-A79D-6D07783183BE.jpeg
701F4A76-C6D6-4D79-B475-6CD56CFD2DE5.jpeg
939B6B71-16E6-457E-BC2C-C47BCAED5DD4.jpeg
91B402DF-FF04-4702-9B41-6D4D36958DD3.jpeg

huffster

I spent a couple hours today clearing trail coming from South Gate. I went up Redback and then out Muncee.

It wasn’t too bad as far as trail blocking stuff, but lots of sticks and branches on the trail. I went out about 2 miles to ~100 yards past the tool stash. There is one large tree (needing chainsaw) across the trail that is about 100 yards before the tool stash. See pic below.

I think I have about a mile left to connect where I finished coming from the other direction. I will share any additional big stuff I discover.

I still haven’t been on Redback between Muncee and Hutchison. If someone else has please let me/us know so we aren’t duplicating efforts.

49652B4B-F514-4080-B641-B89ACC217C85.jpeg

Last edited:

kidzach

Thanks again.

How many miles are up this way ? Never been. Love the avatar MuniMan. A band that never got it's due. Good to see Mark in Accept at least.

huffster

Got a little further today from South Gate side.

On the Muncee trail, other than the tree a few posts above, it is clear and clean all the way to the power-lines. After you cross the power-line there is a REALLY swampy section where the double-track splits and returns to single-track. That is where I stopped. Once that area dries out a bit, it shouldn't take long to finish the last stretch of Muncee to where I left off a week or so ago coming from Long Meadow Rd.

I came back and went up Redback and got as far as the giant rock (or for those who prefer -- glacial erratic). So, the remaining stretch on that side is from that rock up to where Redback meets Hutchinson.

There wasn't anything else BIG on the trails. But, there were a ton of smaller limbs and "derailleur eaters".

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions