Sterling Forest Trail Building

MuniMan

Construction of the new Munsee Eagle trail is happening 5 days a week, Thursdays - Mondays, starting at 8:30. There are two crews. The Palisades crew is working section G from the north, meeting at the Caretaker parking lot on Long Meadow Rd GPS. The Flowworks crew is working from the south on Section K, meeting at the parking lot on South Gate Rd GPS.

redback-caretaker-eagle-jpg.51841

Please come out an help build. We have over 15,000 feet of digging needed to finish this trail. Dig for an hour or make it a day. If you are out for a ride or get there after the crews have started work just follow the signs in the woods to find them.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

I went to Don Weise NYNJTC presentation tonight at the West Milford library.
He's promoting his new book and he gave a presentation on hiking the area.
Afterwards everyone is talking to him and hanging around. I had him sign my
new book and mentioned to him how I'm glad to see the Trail Conference and
the mountain bikers are pitching in and getting along better now a days. He said
yes, working together on Sterling Forest trails is really working out well. He said
a lot of the older guys are retiring and the younger guys are getting along better
with the bikers. I also let him know that I'm a hiker and a mountain biker and that
I helped his crew install the new bridge in Longpond Ironworks. He gave me a big
thanks for helping out. I just had to put in a good word for bikers, since they're all
hikers there. Ha!

MuniMan

NYNJTC is promoting the Floworks crew this Saturday. South Gate road side. I'm not the keeper of the giveaways but it was a T-shirt and energy bars last time. Same promotion on Sunday for the Palisades crew. Long Meadow Rd side.

Come out for the entire day or a few hours.

The Floworks crew is working in the area of 'K 4600' on the map I posted above.
The Palisades crew is out past the power lines above 'E+G 3550' on the map. With the exception of a missing bridge near the beginning the trail is rideable all the way to the power lines. Ride out and see how it is shaping up.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's always that one guy goofing off while everyone else is working
IMG_8048.JPG

;)

J/k looks awesome, thank you!!!

Bleeder

JORBA:President
The Palisades section of the Munsee Eagle trail has reached the fire road. This trail is the work accomplished by the Palisades trail crew in 2017. This is just a section of the Munsee Eagle trail under construction. The trail is still under construction, parts are incomplete. However, you can now connect to the Eagle fire road and make a loop with Redback-Hutchinson.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/palisades-17/

Dirt Dawg

Any parking options for night riding here?
Wondering if there are any problems parking at either the Buttonwood lot or Caretaker lot after dark?

tmcmtb

Me and some riding buddies have done several night rides (about 20 or so) there this past spring, summer and fall and parked at the caretaker lot with no issues, even saw a Park police in the lot when we were leaving and they didn't seem to care.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Officially park is open dawn to dusk, so parking is at your own risk. I think a concern is the park might think somebody is lost or hurt if the car is there after official hours. We need to have a discussion with park management about night riding.

Dirt Dawg

Appreciate any feedback. Ironically, we had a problem at the Tourne Just last night. The park police were very polite, and essentially voiced the same concern (could be lost or injured) They were waiting by our cars as we finished (small lot on Norris Rd). Unfortunately we were issued written warnings.
Please let us know what you hear back from park management at Sterling.
Tmcmtb, thanks for your feedback, perhaps we will give it a try, maybe leaving a note on car that we are biking and will not return until after dark.

Dirt Dawg

Jim N - yes I was with Mike.

Bleeder - I had the same concern on note leaving. My preference would be to just be legal somehow.

MuniMan

That’s a roto-tiller. It works incredibly well to loosen up the bench and to dig borrow pits.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions