Stephens State Park Conditions

Rode Friday Morning (before the rain moved in) water still flowing across by Tilcon, deep enough to get the feet wet. Water crossings were moving fast but not too high. Pink Maze still has a lot of leaf coverage! (lets get out there and burn them leaves off after this rain drains away!) Haven't ridden here since last summer, kudos to the trail maintenance team on lil' maze! That berm work was unexpected and amazing!

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Prior to this latest rain, Stephen's has been in pristine shape. The only issue is the endless amounts of ticks. I had 8 on me the last ride; 2 while riding and 6 more once I was done. Crazy!!!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Prior to this latest rain, Stephen's has been in pristine shape. The only issue is the endless amounts of ticks. I had 8 on me the last ride; 2 while riding and 6 more once I was done. Crazy!!!
Yes same results but worst in deer park, both daughter and I pulled a dozen each off our last ride. With trails becoming over grown esp the barberries which are a haven and invasive, it's become DPs biggest problem.

TPI_Elky

I haven't been noticing any, but now I'm worried (had Lyme disease 8 years ago). Do you guys use bug spray when riding? I've taken to spraying Deep Woods Off on me before most rides.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Never
Everyone in my house has had lymes one time or another. 2 of my daughters had a terrible bout. My wife is over zealous with tonics, me not so much at all. Pull n Go. Key is drop the bike clothes in wash machine, we actually strip at the machine. Shower immediately. Have to say though past week those suckers are hitch hikers as they crawled on while in my car during non ride times.

Last edited:

goldsbar

I hardly ever get them on me; or they're sucking on my blood and transmitting lyme right now. Didn't use much for years. Now spray every article of clothing with permethrin. Respray after each wash or two. I'm out to kill, not repel. Slather all body parts with picadirin or deet.

Fat Trout

@mattybfat is right. dump the clothes and shower immediately. If you think the clothes have ticks on them, be sure they go through the dryer. Those bastards are tough. I don't know how I've avoided lyme between fishing, biking, hiking but I figure this has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Never
Everyone in my house has had lymes one time or another. 2 of my daughters had a terrible bout. My wife is over zealous with tonics, me not so much at all. Pull n Go. Key is drop the bike clothes in wash machine, we actually strip at the machine. Shower immediately. Have to say though past week those suckers are hitch hikers as they crawled on while in my car during non ride times.
We had a field vehicle at work that was infested. With in a few min of getting in, multiple ticks on you.

onetracker

I am curious if people are treating lycra cycling kits with permethrin. If so, how has it worked with performance fabrics? Has this been an effective defense? I have seen a ton of ticks this season.

I've been spraying myself with the back-woods deet befor and after riding and I also try and strip the riding clothes off and shower immediately when getting home. I rode KVSP last Monday and forgot to spray myself and lifted at least two little buggars off me back at the car. The ticks are definitely out in force this year!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am curious if people are treating lycra cycling kits with permethrin. If so, how has it worked with performance fabrics? Has this been an effective defense? I have seen a ton of ticks this season.

yes no problems with it, have seen several dead ticks fall out of jerseys while getting undressed.

RSAmerica

Mosquitos were not a problem, but you should stop ever 20-30 minutes to check for ticks. Sterling has bad mosquitos.

TPI_Elky

Mosquitos were not a problem, but you should stop ever 20-30 minutes to check for ticks. Sterling has bad mosquitos.

Yeah, I didn’t notice any. Haven’t found any ticks this year, but I often take a good dose of deet before heading out

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions