Stephens State Park Conditions

Checking stephens conditions for Saturday 4/28/18 am ride. currently calling for Rain Friday, how wet/muddy are the trails currently? I'm not looking to destroy trails just for a day of riding.

Last edited:

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Checking stephens conditions for Saturday 4/28/18 am ride. currently calling for Rain Friday, how wet/muddy are the trails currently? I'm not looking to destroy trails just for a day of riding.

The conditions as of Monday night were very good. 99% of the trails were dry as a bone with a few minor (typically) wet spots. Any soft conditions due to yesterday's rain will be gone by the end of today. I'm not sure how much rain is forecasted for Friday. If only a little, you should be good to go. If an all day soaker, I would skip Stephens and head to Allamuchy North. That place drains VERY well.

Similar to Allamuchy North, the northern parts of Stephens drain rather well....it's just the lower trails (Red along the river, Pink Maze, Holy Grail trail).

If only that 1 rock were cleared...
I'm not sure where you are referencing....or if only joking. It was a long night and haven't had my coffee yet....so it's probably me not thinking clearly.

There is one tree still down that I came across. It's on the Purple Trail in upper Stephens before getting to the White Double-track....up near the Gravity Cavity (Green).

The conditions as of Monday night were very good. 99% of the trails were dry as a bone with a few minor (typically) wet spots. Any soft conditions due to yesterday's rain will be gone by the end of today. I'm not sure how much rain is forecasted for Friday. If only a little, you should be good to go. If an all day soaker, I would skip Stephens and head to Allamuchy North. That place drains VERY well.

Similar to Allamuchy North, the northern parts of Stephens drain rather well....it's just the lower trails (Red along the river, Pink Maze, Holy Grail trail).

Thanks Reggie. I haven't been to stephens since 2014 I think. I kinda know the trails but was going to do mostly the other loop, starting from Kinney Rd. So I might be in the lower area you're talking about. Bringing a few guys who don't ride as much as I do so I was looking for an easier loop as to not kill the three guys with me. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Reggie. I haven't been to stephens since 2014 I think. I kinda know the trails but was going to do mostly the other loop, starting from Kinney Rd. So I might be in the lower area you're talking about. Bringing a few guys who don't ride as much as I do so I was looking for an easier loop as to not kill the three guys with me. Maybe I'll see you out there.

That's a good spot to start from. If interested in a nice loop for newer riders that gets them to climb a bit, but makes up for it with sweet flow downhills, this is what I've done in the past.

Head up under the train trussel and take the 2nd singletrack left just past the creed (it's newer) as this is the easier way up. Follow the climb with a few different switch backs up and make a left when the trail tends to level out after the climbing. If you come to a creek, you've gone a bit too far; turn around and go a few hundred yards back and make a right now. This is a short(er) climb that brings you to a "T", At the "T", make a right and follow this through a larger water crossing and up a small switch back. Stay on this until you pass another small water crossing, up a small climb and soon after make a left. This is a newer, very fun downhill trail called "Funyuns". Take this down to the end and make a left on the Trussle Trail. This will lead you to the beginning of the Pink Maze. Before the Pink Maze, this is about a 7 mile loop. Great for beginners; some climbing with the sweet reward of fast fun downhill(s). The bonus is it will get you on two new trails as well as they were built in '15.

I'd normally offer to show you around if interested, but I'll be at the Allamuchy TM Saturday am. Have a great time...that place if FUN!!

Have a great time...that place if FUN!!

This is Great info. I'll print it out and bring it with me. I plan to try and hit Stephens/Muchy/whatever other names there are every 3-4 weeks. My bro and I live about equal distance away from Muchy so it's not just a work out but a chance to see my brother.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
It was a good day, didn't even have to use the AK
IMG_20180429_115210.jpg

I'd normally offer to show you around if interested, but I'll be at the Allamuchy TM Saturday am. Have a great time...that place if FUN!!

Thanks for the directions I only got a little lost. Found the look out tower. Couldn't find the right off of the power lines I wanted, got a little lost towards the end of the trip, and I'm not sure I took the loop you mentioned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 6.45.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 6.45.17 AM.png
    537.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 6.45.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 6.45.41 AM.png
    167 KB · Views: 194

BPaze

Curious, what is the best way to ride Stephen's, I went Saturday and started at the park office. I am way too out of shape to start with the climb at Orange which I think I took counterclockwise. Rest of the ride was awesome.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Curious, what is the best way to ride Stephen's, I went Saturday and started at the park office. I am way too out of shape to start with the climb at Orange which I think I took counterclockwise. Rest of the ride was awesome.

I was there for the first time Saturday I started from kinney rd went south on blue rock trail to pink upper to pink lower, to trestle trail to tilcon lake trail. Everything was really nice and drained well, maybe 4 wet spots. I'm going back Thursday afternoon to check out some more but if you are looking for a short ride it was a blast.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the directions I only got a little lost. Found the look out tower. Couldn't find the right off of the power lines I wanted, got a little lost towards the end of the trip, and I'm not sure I took the loop you mentioned.

You were very close. Looks like you went a different direction once you got toward the upper section. Still great trails, just added some additional miles. All good!!

I was there for the first time Saturday I started from kinney rd went south on blue rock trail to pink upper to pink lower, to trestle trail to tilcon lake trail. Everything was really nice and drained well, maybe 4 wet spots. I'm going back Thursday afternoon to check out some more but if you are looking for a short ride it was a blast.

If anyone wants a tour, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always happy to show folks around. I'm typically riding one of the three local parks at least once a weekend.

BPaze

You were very close. Looks like you went a different direction once you got toward the upper section. Still great trails, just added some additional miles. All good!!

If anyone wants a tour, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always happy to show folks around. I'm typically riding one of the three local parks at least once a weekend.

@ReggieHammond Thank you for the offer, it was quite a last minute decision, but next time will definitely reach out. I really enjoy what I have ridden so far but my conditioning is subpar so you would need to be patient with me. The trails were in great shape Saturday morning so it drains pretty well, had a blast on I think pots and pans at least that is what trailsfork called it.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

I'd love one but I'm rocking out with my dad bod once I am hiking a bike a bit less I am going to differently be reaching out to you.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd love one but I'm rocking out with my dad bod once I am hiking a bike a bit less I am going to differently be reaching out to you.

You obviously have not met me. I'm a 48 yo father who loves pizza and beer. This does not equate to beach body. I get a lot of..... "he's got a great personality". Whenever you'd like a tour; no race pace by me.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I'm a 26 yo father who thinks sympathy weight was a contest with my wife on who could put on the most lbs, I won and I'm winning by a lot now a year and a half later. I am 100% down just need to find out when I can play outside again.

ilnadi

How will Stephens hold up after the rains for the next few days? Never been there so no idea how it handles rain. thanks

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How will Stephens hold up after the rains for the next few days? Never been there so no idea how it handles rain. thanks

It has been rather dry as of late, so the trails will be fine for this weekend. Rain forecasted for both Saturday & Sunday, so I would try and get out today if possible.

Is there a TM session scheduled for tomorrow morning? If so when and where? Thanks.

Stephens Trail Maintenance - J.O.R.B.A.

5-12-18 Saturday 8:30am - 12:30

Meet on Waterloo Valley Rd. where the trail comes up from Tilcon Lake.
We will then hike in with tools to clean up trails in that area.

185-205 Waterloo Valley Rd
Budd Lake, NJ 07828

40.909190, -74.756722

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...5aebe5fa!8m2!3d40.9093931!4d-74.7564844?hl=en

Bring yourself, water, gloves (I'll have some gloves if you need) BUG
SPRAY and a snack.

********Please rsvp via email snfilipponi@optonline.net so I know how many tools to bring.**********

Feel free to forward this to anyone who may also be interested.
Hope to see you there.
Sincerely,
Steve Filipponi
Jorba Chapter Lead, Stephens State Park

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions