Stephens State Park Conditions

Parked at station road and hit upper Stephens with P and T Scott. It was a crunchy delight. No real oh shit ice moments were found. In fact that crunchy texture was grippy and able to carve the turns. This was between 12-2:30 pm.

Tried to use the Trail condition widget, but not working right now, apparently. Anyway, rode today at Stephens and I would rate it a solid 3. Some wet spots, but nothing too bad. Get some!

What is the preferred connection between Stephens and Deer Park? I did a pretty lousy job of that in the past by trying to go up some unmarked stuff to hit the white trail. I made it, but ended up with some bushwhacking. I returned well, by coming down orange. It looks like the obvious routes in are either green or orange, but both seem to be pretty good climbs. So, if those of you with a lot of experience connecting them can share your wisdom on the "least painful" connection, that would be greatly appreciated.

Down green if you don't want hike a bike. Up orange is the cough cough easiest.
What you really need to do is make a triple with less then of a mile of pavement at the tranquility side. Here you can do as little as 15 miles to 50+. Choice is yours.

@mattybfat Thanks! I was hoping you would chime in. I've ridden each of the 3 parks independently, but not really done much connecting them. So, that's what I am trying to sort out.

I've parked out on Tranquility Farm Ln in the past and ridden within Allamuchy. So, I can figure out various size routes to get over to the Jefferson Lake area.

Then from there I recently worked out the connection off Continental Rd to get over to Stephens. I can whirl around in Stephens and then end up on Kinney Rd to get up Orange into Deer Park.

Is there a connection point out of Deer Park up in the northwest corner to get back across route 80? Looks like maybe something in the area of the scenic overlook on Route 80. I've picked up that "rogue" trail in the past, but if I recall it swings back east.

Seven 11 trail to the school lake trail.
Of course this is local talk.
@ReggieHammond has been a major ride captain around here. I am willing to bet the house that he'll offer you a tour because he is that kind of guy. Take him up on it.

Seven 11 trail to the school lake trail.
Of course this is local talk.
@ReggieHammond has been a major ride captain around here. I am willing to bet the house that he'll offer you a tour because he is that kind of guy. Take him up on it.

Thanks Matt. I enjoy showing riders around these great parks we have here.

I've stalked a little on @ReggieHammond Strava and I've figured out where he came out thru Villa Madonna to hit a little stretch on Allamuchy Rd. to get to Tranquility.

As @mattybfat referenced, I would be happy to show you around. Full disclosure, I'm in my typical "winter shape" which is far from lightening speed. Think of me as a freight train that can go for miles and miles....just not that fast.

Below is a four parker a few of us did back in November with the "typical" park connections.

https://www.strava.com/activities/774779930
Thanks, that seems to be the one I "stalked". Also, appreciate the offer of a tour. Right now, its just a twinkle in the eye. My riding tends to be spur of the moment based on each days work schedule, which varies widely. I may try a small loop in the somewhat near future just to get the connections worked out.

How's deer park compare to Stephen's? More or less beginner friendly. I'm looking to bring some new people out this weekend and there's some reservations about Stephen's, though I thought it was not very technical besides a few spots.

Deer park is considered the beginner friendly park out of all the mooch parks. Though I can make a pretty good beginner loop in Stephens.

Just know DP does have a bit of elevation as do all of the mooch parks.

Also keep in mind DP is marked well so getting lost is much less then north and SSP.

How's deer park compare to Stephen's? More or less beginner friendly. I'm looking to bring some new people out this weekend and there's some reservations about Stephen's, though I thought it was not very technical besides a few spots.
Just bring them up the Orange DP Backdoor Climb and on the way out take Rogue. Most likely that will be the last time they will ride with you.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions