stem length question

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
what's the deal? 30mm? 50mm? 60mm? 75mm?

is any one better than or preferred for the type of riding that we do? i'm in upgrade mode...

heythorp

bonefishjake said:
what's the deal? 30mm? 50mm? 60mm? 75mm?

is any one better than or preferred for the type of riding that we do? i'm in upgrade mode...

They make them different length so that you can fit your bike to you. Frame sizes just gets you in the correct "range" and then you move your saddle fore and aft and then adjust the length of the stem so its a perfect fit.

There is a relative "correct" position on the bike, but there is also your perception of being in the right place and being comfortable.

With that said, shorter stems will sit you more up right and speed up the steering a bit. Longer stems will get you closer to that classic "superman" postions and slow down the steering. Also longer stems will get you over the front wheel more and that will help you keep the front wheel down on steep climbs.

Go get fit on your bike first, and then you can fiddle with the stem length. 10mm here and there can make a very big difference in how comfortable you are and how the bike handles in different situations.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, i saw that. the reason i posted is b/c i just bought a race face diabolus stem on ebay...and didn't realize until i was reviewing the order that it is a 30mm stem. that seems WAY short, even to my three apples tall self. i think i just spent $65 on a paper weight! my thought process was to put new, burly stuff on the fuel and transfer the bontrager stuff to the SS. :banghead: :steamin:

Last edited:

ytc100

Yeah. WAY short. :)

If you're happy with the fit of your fuel you should replace with the same size stem. That size may or may not work on the SS though.

I have a 100mm and a 120mm that you're welcome to try if you want to experiment with some different sizes (should've given 'em to you at KVSP).

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, i know. i emailed the seller on ebay to ask if i could get the 70mm. i honestly thought my stem was 60mm but after i looked at bontrager's website, i figured out that it wasn't. at all. if nothing else, i can run the race face on the SS (it SHOULD fit) and keep the bontrager on the fuel. if, that is, the dude on ebay gets my email. worst case scenario, it goes back on ebay. i'll eat a few bucks, but not $65.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i got the stem and the guy on ebay was great...switched out the 30mm for the 70mm. it may be a bit short on the fuel, but i think it'll be perfect on the SS. i'll have to wait until it is actually finished to see...but it doesn't look like i'll have the opportunity to beat on it this weekend. :(

heythorp

bonefishjake said:
i got the stem and the guy on ebay was great...switched out the 30mm for the 70mm. it may be a bit short on the fuel, but i think it'll be perfect on the SS. i'll have to wait until it is actually finished to see...but it doesn't look like i'll have the opportunity to beat on it this weekend. :(

Should have just bought my SASS

Top Bottom