steerer tube too long

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
UGH. Bought a orig front fork at the 2nd life bike swap for my 95 rockhopper (in the same magnificent 90's purple). I thought it was from a 17 inch frame, but I came home and found out it was for probably a 19 inch frame and hence too long.

I can cut it but it appears that the threads are too short too. So what are my options?

a. Get the fork threaded/cut to fit my frame?
b. Donate the fork to 2nd life and see if they have a fork (that doesn't match)
c. Try to hunt down the original 19" frame and build that into a gravel/monster cross bike? I am sure with a different stem I could make it fit.
d. Do nothing and put the boat anchor of a dead mag 21 back on the bike?

I'm planning on keeping/riding the bike.

Karate Monkey

A couple of options:

-get the fork threaded down. Older shops will have the proper dies for this. No need to cut it down, just add spacers.

-make a hybrid headset with a threadless cone/cover, spacers, and two top nuts—one that is fully threaded, or has been modified to remove the stop, and one normal one. You can adjust the preload with the lower nut, and lock it in place with the top nut, just like a cup and cone system.

The second system is fairly easy, but you often need to replace the top half of the headset with an appropriate threadless version... And get a second locknut, but you know.

Last edited:

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
A couple of options:

-get the fork threaded down. Older shops will have the proper dies for this. No need to cut it down, just add spacers.

-make a hybrid headset with a threadless cone/cover, spacers, and two top nuts—one that is fully threaded, or has been modified to remove the stop, and one normal one. You can adjust the preload with the lower nut, and lock it in place with the top nut, just like a cup and cone system.

The second system is fairly easy, but you often need to replace the top half of the headset with an appropriate threadless version... And get a second locknut, but you know.

Thanks. I will check out the local shops

Top Bottom