Steal This Thread

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is not a green light to piss & shit all over my new thread.

I have been blogging for years. Here. Or on the great big Internets. Various forums. Who the hell else knows where. And for the most part I just go. I produce, and some subset of people consume. Some consume a lot. Some consume a little. Some throw it out and order someone else's pizza.

So this is my newest installment of verbal Internet pizza. But this time, I invite you to steal it. I invite you to steal it in 1 of 2 ways. The first is to add your own content, based on something you read here, or that you tangentially thought of, or that you just have no where else to put. You had a great ride, but don't know where to put it. You had a shitty ride, and don't know where to put it. You played chess, and feel like talking about it. I invite you to add it here and maybe it will drive me to respond in kind.

All I ask is that you make it some form of narrative. It doesn't need to be long. It just needs to relay the message coherently.

The second way that you can steal this thread is to ask questions. To make me tell you something of your choosing. This, of course, is bound by the limits of my knowledge & experience. I cannot, as an example, tell you what Tenzig Norgay thought when Sir Edmund Hillary got all the credit. But if it's in my wheelhouse of experience or thought, I'll do my best to answer. Pretty much anything goes here.

I did think of a 3rd way just now. Offer yourself to be called on. For instance, Martin maybe says he is willing to be called on. And I ask Martin a question to which he has to reply, or be banned from the game and publicly tarred & feathered.

I sit here and look out the window, thinking that I really should ride today. This involves a little work, setting the cross bike up with the non-tubulars, which isn't too hard but needs to be done either way. Then it involves getting dressed for the worst possible conditions. Raining and 35-40 degrees is the worst weather to ride in. Absolute hell. Moist, cold, hell.

I also sit here and think, only 5 months of this. Then I think, I need to get through it this year, and avoid watching 5 months of OnDemand while sitting on the rollers in the basement. Maybe this will help. Maybe not. But I'd like to make this thread slightly different than my so-called training threads have been.

As a final request, I ask that anyone who is a regular on these threads to try and add to it somewhere along the line. You only get out of it what you put in. I think we have enough interesting people and stories to make this really interesting.

So with that, I invite you to do as Abbie Hoffman suggested, and Steal This Thread.

ChrisRU

First!

Your Boston story had me thinking about some of my own misadventures. I have quite a few. If I get some time this week, maybe I'll write up an account of the time my buddies and I couldn't get a taxi, so we got a lift from a pizza delivery guy and nearly died.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What does oh great one, grand pooba, think about fat bikes? I have personally liked them early then went never to now waiting for delivery. I remember when bighit was first on the board who sported one before the became the rage.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fat Matty, I go back and forth with this Fat bike thing.. One day I'm like, yeah this thing would be great for the winter snow rides and stuff and then the next day I'm like, I have too many bikes already, do I really need this?? Is it worth the investment? If I got one I would like one of the lighter ones, not the 40lb ones..
What was your deal maker to decide to get one? I assume being up North was a big one with snow covered trails for most of winter. Down south here we really get a break on that loooong snow cover..
Thanks for your input..

Oh sorry, 5th?

rick81721

Lothar
I sit here and look out the window, thinking that I really should ride today. This involves a little work, setting the cross bike up with the non-tubulars, which isn't too hard but needs to be done either way. Then it involves getting dressed for the worst possible conditions. Raining and 35-40 degrees is the worst weather to ride in. Absolute hell. Moist, cold, hell.

I have a question - do many people ride in the rain? I'll ride in hot or cold, snow (on the mtb), but not rain (exception being getting caught in a rain shower, and even then I'll stop until it's over. Assuming no one rides trails in the rain, this only pertains to road. I've always assumed reduced traction and reduced visibility - both rider and drivers - make this too dangerous. Thoughts?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Raining and 35-40 degrees is the worst weather to ride in. Absolute hell. Moist, cold, hell.

True that, even made the title of my ride today. When the twins will it, I will be out there. Tomorrow looks like a joy too; below freezing all day and 20-30 mph winds. If these two days aren't like a swift kick to the balls to enter cold weather, I am not sure what is.

tumblr_m3881ziqvp1qi3wpfo1_500.gif

I am sure I will piss in here from time to time but will trying to limit most pissing in my own thread.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last winter was my demise, might have been burnt out from the constant bike commuting that came to an end Dec. 31. I just Seem lathargic about want to ride x/c and road for that matter add in the winter we had and blam many beers were consumed. Dhing still gives a thrill which is why I spent doing most over the summer but my cardio is gone. So I think this fat bike is gonna jump start me, if not well it was gamble I was willing to take.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mitch, I was waiting for a punch line. That was as interesting as Lou and JP's input.

I went to see a concert at the Tower Theater on Friday night in Philly. Well its not really in Philly but about 20 minutes away in Upper Darby. If I said Upper Darby you would be like where the fuck is that?

Well anyway its this really cool old movie theater from the 20's that they converted to house concerts in the early 70's. All big Rock acts from the 70's played there, I think Mitch passed out in one of the bathroom stalls while seeing Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust Tour.

What I found really interesting about the place is that they sold beer in the bathroom. You walk down to this huge bathroom and off in the corner looks like a coat check room, except its not a coat check room. A dude is standing behind the counter door selling beer like a washroom attendant sells cologne. Is this a Pa thing, selling beer in a bathroom? Now they did have a bar upstairs but after I got $8 from my wife I walked back down stairs and bought a can of beer. I don't usually get the chance to buy beer in bathrooms and I'm not sure how sanitary this is but screw it, when in the Tower Theater buy a beer in the bathroom.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
rode a fat bike in the snow, it sucked, was told the snow conditions weren't right.

WTF?
tysonreaction_zpsf48dc0a5.gif

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a question - do many people ride in the rain? I'll ride in hot or cold, snow (on the mtb), but not rain (exception being getting caught in a rain shower, and even then I'll stop until it's over. Assuming no one rides trails in the rain, this only pertains to road. I've always assumed reduced traction and reduced visibility - both rider and drivers - make this too dangerous. Thoughts?

I will jump in.

Correct, most people do not ride in the rain. Riding in the rain is not nearly as bad as people think, specially in colder weather where you are covered up anyways. fenders make a huge, huge difference, especially when the roads are wet but it has stopped raining. But riding in the rain trashes your bike and eats drivetrains for an afternoon snack.

rick81721

Lothar
I will jump in.

Correct, most people do not ride in the rain. Riding in the rain is not nearly as bad as people think, specially in colder weather where you are covered up anyways. fenders make a huge, huge difference, especially when the roads are wet but it has stopped raining. But riding in the rain trashes your bike and eats drivetrains for an afternoon snack.

thanks. So what about the danger angle (traction, visibility) - is this real or just my imagination?

rick81721

Lothar
I went to see a concert at the Tower Theater on Friday night in Philly. Well its not really in Philly but about 20 minutes away in Upper Darby. If I said Upper Darby you would be like where the fuck is that?

Growing up outside of philly I've been there many times. Last time there I took my son to see Dream Theater a few years ago. Don't remember seeing beer sales in the bathroom tho, just in the main lobby.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

This time of year when im not training for anything...only if I happen to get caught in the rain. But spring time when im training for racing, all the time. I will find a place for cover when the lightning gets bad, had to do that twice this year. In these temps, as norm and kevin said, its terrible. But when its warm....after 5 min and you are drenched, whatever.

So Norm...just want to know...Earl Campbell or Walter Payton?

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
thanks. So what about the danger angle (traction, visibility) - is this real or just my imagination?
I think real for various reasons. Visibility is truly bad in the rain. But also drivers dont expect to see you in the rain so may not be watching for you. I do ride in the rain though, cold or not, doesnt matter. If I feel the need to ride, I go (on the road of course in the rain). If commuting to work, I dont care for riding into work in the rain, as I dont have a place to change and hang wet clothes, but riding home in the rain is fine with me.

Norm, like the idea of this thread.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

If you have a rail trail anywhere near you, ride that in the rain over the road. It'll get messy, but it eliminates the concern for traffic. Also a good option in slushy conditions. Ideally, use a cross bike but if you don't have one, I'd recommend the MTB over a road bike.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

It is all real but probably over exaggerated. With heavy rain like today and leaf clogged drains, you get thee puddles of death that are dangerous for a variety of reasons. one being hydroplaning cars but the more important being you don't know what the hell is under them. Best to be avoided by taking the lane. It is legal and cars can wait. Stick to the sourlands and you will be fine. Chip seal roads drain better than pavement but be weary of places where the chip has worn off just leaving the seal. Compound that if ride everyones favorite gatorskins. Those things are like ice on wet no chip chip seal roads, hence while i will never ride one on the front.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Last winter was my demise, might have been burnt out from the constant bike commuting that came to an end Dec. 31. I just Seem lathargic about want to ride x/c and road for that matter add in the winter we had and blam many beers were consumed. Dhing still gives a thrill which is why I spent doing most over the summer but my cardio is gone. So I think this fat bike is gonna jump start me, if not well it was gamble I was willing to take.

Good luck... I think it fits your personality perfect. And I mean that in a good way..

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Fatbikes: I think that fat bikes are a trend, but if any of you remember, I said that about 29ers, and now I have 3 29ers, so I have no idea what I am talking about. The one, okay 2 big problems with fat bikes is that they are heavy and they require snow, which means it is cold outside. Me no like cold, so instead of a fat bike, I go somewhere warm. For those that love winter, I can see a having a fat bike in ones stable. This may be your calling Matty. Even the name matches your screen name. ;)

Riding in the ran: I'm with Norm, riding in the rain when it is cold is no fun. I have done it twice in a race, and I hope to never do it again. I have been caught out in summer and it is not too bad. I rode Nationals in a thunderstorm last year and it had little affect.

Beer in Bathrooms: This is an issue of job security. I want to think that drinking a beer needs me. When it is sold in the bathroom, I get the feeling that the beer is on an agenda and I am only the middle man.

Top Bottom