Steal This Thread

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
To answer Ricks question, I think the time of day you are riding is a huge factor in how dangerous the road can be. You are usually out when there are lots of cars on the road relative to when kevin or when I am out. During my morning rides an abnormal amount of cars for me is ten in total over an hour period. I can count the number of cars I encounter on one hand regularly since I am out so early. For me weather really doesn't add to the risk factor all that much other than wet roads makes for sketchy fast downhills.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I would hope people don't ride in dense fog, at what point does heavy rain or rain + darkness make riding on the road too dangerous?

So relative to your area, I have ridden in cool rainy weather with fine visibility until i hit wertsville road where i was met with thick fog for maybe a 1 mile section. Am I supposed to abandon my route for the potential 2 cars that may pass me during that stretch? Safety is in the eye of the beholder. 99% of the population thinks riding on the road is too dangerous but we are still out there. I admit, I am probably too comfortable on the road and not a good gauge, but I just avoid certain roads in bad conditions, ie, ones with cars on them. In the areas we live in we can easily find roads with no traffic at pretty much any time of the day, so get to those roads in the shortest route possible.

Of all the rides I did, there were maybe only one or two that I was wondering what i was doing out there and that was snow on the roads.

But wet mixed with dark makes for crap visibility for potholes. Again, knowing your roads is invaluable.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
To answer Ricks question, I think the time of day you are riding is a huge factor in how dangerous the road can be. You are usually out when there are lots of cars on the road relative to when kevin or when I am out. During my morning rides an abnormal amount of cars for me is ten in total over an hour period. I can count the number of cars I encounter on one hand regularly since I am out so early. For me weather really doesn't add to the risk factor all that much other than wet roads makes for sketchy fast downhills.

Yeah that's a good point. I keep forgetting that many of my road rides are stupidly during rush hour with cars whizzing all around me - even in the sourlands. That alone probably makes my rides more dangerous than poor visibility conditions. Never mind!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
sometimes, i think riding in the dark is safer. if you are lit up like a christmas tree, you are more visible and drivers are usually in that "WTF" phase and take more care. i also feel safer when i can see the headlights behind me and know a car is creeping up.

The Kalmyk

I've seen some restaurant workers riding in some undesirable condition just to make ends meet. Give that some thought.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
even in the sourlands

How many people are really on Ridge, Mountain, Saddle Shop, Runyon Mill, Snydertown, Church, Van Dyke, Dutchtown Zion? The only reason to go on these roads is if you live there. Yes, rush hour is the highest traffic time but trail and error is the only way to know but I have been on these roads at various times with little to no traffic.

rick81721

Lothar
How many people are really on Ridge, Mountain, Saddle Shop, Runyon Mill, Snydertown, Church, Van Dyke, Dutchtown Zion? The only reason to go on these roads is if you live there. Yes, rush hour is the highest traffic time but trail and error is the only way to know but I have been on these roads at various times with little to no traffic.

Most of those roads are too far away for me on a rush hour ride (which is typically 1.5 hrs). I usually go up Hollow to Zion/Longhill, then either go west to Lindbergh or east to Longhill or Zion. All those roads have a surprising amount of traffic at that time. And the roads getting there are worse. I guess the bottom line is I need to HTFU and start getting up at 4:30am for pre-work rides. ;)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I guess the bottom line is I need to HTFU and start getting up at 4:30am for pre-work rides. ;)

Well we already knew that :rolleyes:

I just peeped some of your loops, I thought you lived closer to the sourlands but yeah, you have some miles to get over there of meh roads. Stinks you are limited to the 206 crossings as most of those roads are higher traffic.

rick81721

Lothar
Well we already knew that :rolleyes:

I just peeped some of your loops, I thought you lived closer to the sourlands but yeah, you have some miles to get over there of meh roads. Stinks you are limited to the 206 crossings as most of those roads are higher traffic.

Yeah it pretty much sucks being east of 206 but can't do anything about that one. Hey am I gonna be the first person you follow on strava? I almost fainted at the possibility! :D

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yeah it pretty much sucks being east of 206 but can't do anything about that one. Hey am I gonna be the first person you follow on strava? I almost fainted at the possibility! :D

fainting from holding your breath! :D

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Telling someoen else to HTFU implies that you think yourself tough enough to make that declaration, but "tough" is kind of like "smart", "funny" or "attractive" -- it isn't really something you get to decide for yourself, is it?

Riding in the cold sucks, but I do it because, well, what the hell else am I going to do during those hours? That's not tough. It's the sad reality of having too few hobbies. I ride in the cold because otherwise I'd just spend all my free time sitting in a dark room staring at a wall.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
seems to have a more attitude/approach

Correct:
Let's grab the bikes.
I'm not riding in the cold today.
ok, catch you tomorrow.

Incorrect:
Let's grab the bikes.
It is too cold to ride today.
HTFU!

mostly apply it to complainers and whiners. and those that complain about whiners, and whine about complainers.

Really the only time I want to hear a complaint is if it accompanied by how it could have been better - meaning I have some control over it. Which does not mean the weather.

although weather.com has installed that stupid ad from google across the top. its in an iframe, and google uses half of the damn screen. So in chrome, i right click on the ad area, inspect element, delete node. Done until i reload. yw.

Mountain Bike Mike

Motivation- something that is deep down in every each one of us. There are certain "electronic pulses" that can trigger that feeling of being motivated. It can be anything, not one person is the same. My cousin, "mountain bike mike". He and I are a lot alike, and I constantly bounce ideas off of him. He's generally annoyed at my lack of drive and motivation but what this guy doesn't know is that he is motivating by being an example. So, thanks to the board for motivating that SOB! :D:D:

Thanks for the mention. Let me defend and "splain" myself - I get annoyed because I know you're capable of more and you want more yet you make conscious decisions to not pursue it. Plus you're my cousin and I wish the best for you and I tend to push those who are close to me to achieve whatever goals they dream about. I believe that is my place in life. Now shut up and do vo2 max intervals and then climb Devils elbow. seriously.... Kidding

I like to believe that I am "motivated" and "driven" or put some positive tag on my personality but what it really is, is my fear of being a failure at any thing and everything. If I can see it or envision it and am interested in something or set a goal, I'm going to try it and not half ass it. If you're going do something, do it to the best of your ability. That's me. If that helps influence and motivate people around me, kewl - that's a Win / Win and I take pride in being a positive influence - which then motivates me to keep going - it's a great place to be.

I also believe that an individual persons capabilities are endless yet a good majority of people fail to understand what that means. Some people also fail to understand how that applies to them. Some people never voluntarily attempt to do something "impossible" or push themselves so hard to realize truly what they are capable of. Sometimes people figure out their capabilities because they have to. I always enjoy helping people go down the path of understanding capabilities - it makes for great entertainment and most importantly builds character and relationships. Plus - it's fun to see people achieve their goals and dreams and to be able to be a part of that is remarkable

But - there are people that do understand capabilities but choose not to push the limits and live each day striving to be average. I'm cool with those people but in most cases I tend to get into debates that end in an agree to disagree outcome. I tend to judge these people as lazy or quitters or .... The list goes on and on...- I know it's wrong and as i grow up, I am training myself to not judge people but I'm programmed a certain way and will continue to keep my "motivated, driven" personality and lifestyle while being nice to those who choose not to explore what they are capable of. Good luck with that, just don't try to convince me that I should / could live that way.

Of course I only mentioned a few types of people, if I were try to cover all the varities and combinations of personality types, this thread would be a book

Long story short - If you're going to ride regardless of weather, do it and make the most of it. How many cliches are out there? I like "carpe diem" personally. If you do something out of the Norm, be prepared to be called something like "tough" or a "badass" or an "asshole" or whatever. That's life!

For the record - I think cyclists that ride in all conditions and push themselves outside their comfort zones are bad ass and tougher than those that choose not to. The same way I think navy seals, marines, fighter pilots, Martial artists, exteme sports folks, most professional athletes to name a few are tough or tougher than the an average person because to get to that point, you need to push yourself outside your comfort zones to truly understand that you can do it.

Motivation starts with if you want to do it or not.

RobW

Thanks for the mention. Let me defend and "splain" myself - I get annoyed because I know you're capable of more and you want more yet you make conscious decisions to not pursue it. Plus you're my cousin and I wish the best for you and I tend to push those who are close to me to achieve whatever goals they dream about. I believe that is my place in life. Now shut up and do vo2 max intervals and then climb Devils elbow. seriously.... Kidding

Motivation starts with if you want to do it or not.

VO2 Max intervals- coming right up!! Devils elbow??? Really? that's my neds left lung! I'm going to own that park- don'tchu come to my house sucka! LMAO

On the real, I'm more motivated every day thanks to this board and people I ride with.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
If you don't want to snuggle and spoon, Ill settle for a hug or maybe even a one armed bro-hug

So, your uber thread involved Mandex and now your talking about spooning! Contrast these to your trail music posts and we've got a picture of a very complex fellow...

Heck, it keeps things interesting.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Boy this site has been pretty dead lately.

Most of the banter lately is the 2 cousins having openly private conversations. Pearl our most important topic setter must be in full Xmas card printing. Norms new job of gingerbread house building leaves him no time. Utah's daily diaper dumping, Luke is up to his ears in $hit also. It isn't even winter yet. Iggy's trying to talk Walter into butt sex. I will even take a 1speed bookend post. Someone please so Kev can have something to post on...

Top Bottom