Statements on Watchung Reservation Vote

Another option is to get more people onboard. If there wasn't so much hate and dislike, the situation may be different now. Regardless of who's in power.

Another option is to get more people onboard. If there wasn't so much hate and dislike, the situation may be different now. Regardless of who's in power.
Couldn't agree more! Way back when I started working at Allaire there was quite a division amongst user groups, but we got past that once we all realized that we wanted the same thing....better trails. So working together brought the groups together, something that could work in the future for you all. If they have tm sessions at Watchung, attend and give help without an agenda. Once people know you as the trail lovers you are, opinions may change. The process may be long and painful, but actions will speak louder than words.

We will go about our next steps building a coalition of stakeholders with a common goal of better designed and maintained trails. This Watchung situation was very unique in that the Freeholders commissioned and passed a plan including MTB, and then brought in JORBA after the fact to help. We (JORBA) were left playing defense, defending a plan and process controlled completely by the Freeholders. All our efforts to build a coalition of stakeholders (hikers, runners, equestrians, neighbors, mayors) were stymied by the Freeholders. This time we will build the coalition ourselves and present a plan TO the Freeholders, rather than the other way around.

we all realized that we wanted the same thing....better trails.
While some anti-mtbers want better trails, the majority against mtbing don't care about better trails as much as they care about keeping mtbs out.
This majority rarely uses the trails, but when they do they do not want to encounter mtbs. Furthermore they do not want mtbers to have separate trails because they feel mtbs will ruin the reservation and it is already over used. These are statements from Freeholder Chairman Bergen.

Freeholder Bergen is clearly acting in the interest of anti mtbing and ignoring all factual information to build his case against mtbing. Unfortunately, as far as we have come in society it still comes down to Might makes Right in this issue.

While some anti-mtbers want better trails, the majority against mtbing don't care about better trails as much as they care about keeping mtbs out.
This majority rarely uses the trails, but when they do they do not want to encounter mtbs. Furthermore they do not want mtbers to have separate trails because they feel mtbs will ruin the reservation and it is already over used. These are statements from Freeholder Chairman Bergen.

Freeholder Bergen is clearly acting in the interest of anti mtbing and ignoring all factual information to build his case against mtbing. Unfortunately, as far as we have come in society it still comes down to Might makes Right in this issue.
Mind if I read that to the Freeholders next time?

Got it.
OK, I am positive there will be bikes on trails in Watchung SOON.

Forgot to post it earlier. Saturday June 3, 9am, Trailside Museum parking lot. Family gathering for cycling the Watchung Reservation safely and legally.

We have a right to OUR PARKS!

I will have a pink jersey and a white helmet. Hey, it's summer

Reactions: w_b

^ fact!

They would rather see the place deteriorate rather than see a bike.

Registration requirement. No person shall operate a bicycle upon any property owned or otherwise under the control of the County of Union unless such bicycle has first been registered with the municipality wherein the owner resides, as evidenced by a registration certificate, license plate, or decal from that municipality."

36684_souvenir_license_plates_with_old_names_418x0.jpg

Thanks to everyone who participated in this process.

First, thanks to Katie, who had the courage of a 12 year old NICA champion to address the Freeholders of Union County supporting access.

Thanks to the NJ MTB community, which was so well represented at so many meetings of the Freeholders and at Trailside Museum.

Thanks to the chapter officers of JORBA, who patiently jumped through hoops for the Freeholders, and to Ken Seebeck, who drove countless miles and spent hours on this effort.

Thanks to the three Freeholders (Estrada, Mirabella and Hudak) who supported us in their first split vote in a DECADE!?!?!?!

What can we do next?

1. Donate to JORBA.org. They are the primary mover with respect to access and trail quality in the Rock Garden state. Become a member at a minimum and do more. Do trail maintenance. Donate funds to JORBA.

2. Stay tuned for the next legal steps/JORBA chapter meeting to attain access to the Union County parks for our children.

3. Volunteer for the NICA race series.

4. Hike the Watchung Reservation when you can. Represent for the MTB community.

5. Ride your bike and have a great summer!!!

Saturday June 3, 9 am. Trailside Museum parking lot. Legally ride Watchung Reservation MTB on the road. I will have a pink jersey and a white helmet and will bring the doughnuts.

Wish I could make it...

Now that I think about it, maybe have this run biweekly? Ride the street and then walk the bike on a few trails. Stop and talk to some of the people. Maybe give out some donuts.

Have the attendance get bigger and bigger...

Back
Top Bottom