Statements on Watchung Reservation Vote

TheLonerider

The election is coming up Tuesday, and several freeholders are on the ballot. They are two of the freeholders that actually voted against the measure to kill the mountain biking trail plan, and one has to wonder if that was not planned. However, allegedly pro-mountain biking or not (or simply having not voted in favor of killing the mountain biking trail plan) these freeholders are nevertheless part of the same system that lied to cycling citizens for three long years, and ultimately voted against mountain biking – after approving the trail plan and paying consultant CME for it.

That said, I would urge any cyclist (or just citizens concerned with fair government) to not vote for these people, but their opponents. Let us not allow Union County, NJ to benefit from its manipulations, lies, and larceny.

They have stolen the best years of our riding lives, the opportunity for future generations of cyclists, and three years of our efforts. Now they appear to have stolen the money paid the consultant as well. Let us not let them also have our votes.

Despite the Freeholders up for re-election being alleged mountain bike supporters, they clearly were not able (or willing) to convince their colleagues to keep their word, and therefore one has to wonder at the sincerity of their "support" for mt biking... beyond mere words. You don't ride words -- you ride trails.

Trails that in three years were never built, despite repeated specific promises.... before the May 18 vote even came up. After all, had they meant what they said, the trails would have been built long before May 18.
They are clearly part of the problem, saying one thing and doing another. We need a clear house, like Hercules washing out the Greek stables.

Make sure on Election Day you do not vote for any of the current Freeholders, however they voted on mountain biking. This county does not need any of them. What it needs is a clean slate and honest government limited to its just and proper functions.

Lonerider

TheLonerider

more like....
brians-rant-laughing-politicians.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's gonna take a lot more then a couple of posts to get a Republican in Elizabeth.

The Freeholders have been pandering to Plainfield, Linden, Elizabeth...cities with the largest populations in the county, to push the Democrat machine.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
However, In good faith, I am not voting for any of the Democratic Freeholders. I do agree with Lonerider, the current administration needs an overhaul. I realize getting a Republican in most likely will not happen but I am going to do my part to create a government of checks and balances. What is going on right now in Elizabeth is a throw back to Tammany Hall.

Xler8

Greed is a powerful emotion which many people cannot control, therefore there is no longer a willingness to do what's best for the greater good. People in the political arena will tell you what they think you want to hear. What they actually do is a crap shoot. And it doesn't make a difference which side you're on, republican or democrat. At the end of the day we are just people.

Shorepoints

Today is a primary, so you can only vote if you are a registered democrat or republican. And you can only vote for the candidates in your party. And there are 3 slots for 3 positions for freeholders. So if you are a registered Democrat, unless you write in a candidate, you can't really impact much today. In November you can make your statement. Personally, I'm supporting Estrada, Hudak, and Mirabella as they went against the grain and stayed consistent on their support of MTB throughout the process. I honestly don't think there is much of a conspiracy theory with this vote, other than the likelihood that Granados and Wright voted with Bergen because Granados wants Bergen's chairmanship and Wright is retiring and doesn't want to clash with Bergen.

rocbike

Independents can vote today too. They can vote for any (one) party's primary candidates. As soon as they do, however, they will become registered in that party. They can then choose to stay in that party or file a party declaration form to become Independent again (or change to another party).

Shorepoints

Independents can vote today too. They can vote for any (one) party's primary candidates. As soon as they do, however, they will become registered in that party. They can then choose to stay in that party or file a party declaration form to become Independent again (or change to another party).
Thanks for the clarification. Though effectively it is the same. You will be a registered member of whatever party you vote for today. If you are already a registered member, I'm sure you could file a petition to change/drop out anyway. More important is that we need to know the MTB stance of Garretson and the Republican freeholder candidates between now and November.

stilluf

Hudak and Estrada are on the ballot today for the primary, and I voted for them. Their votes in favor of MTB went against the majority, and, according to news reports, created a freeholder split for the first time in years. They deserve our support. Remember, we only need 2 MORE VOTES!!! Given that it is highly unlikely that any individual freeholder will be voted out, why would we undermine those sitting freeholders who clearly support MTB?

rxpxskier

With a few threads on this area I'm almost certain this has been asked, but can the County be sued? i am the furthest thing from a lawyer but seems like you can sue for anything these days.

stilluf

Sure, anyone can sue for anything. But what would be the point? Even assuming you had standing to sue, and a cognizable injury, the county has wide discretion in handling its affairs. Then there would be the public perception problem (MTB'ers didn't get what they wanted , now they sue), and, of course, alienating the freeholders, who we need to make this happen (obviously).
I'm frustrated about the about-face by the county, but a lawsuit isn't the way to go.

Top Bottom