Starter build parting out sale & free gift w/ purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
BTW.... I sold 1 item and few other stuff are pending pick up.
None of these were sold at asking price. So make me an offer.

qclabrat

The Guide R's are off my Hightower and its a L frame. The hoses were long to begin with but I didn't trim them so you have plenty of length to work with.
I guess these are not cheap... but they are 4 piston and brakes can save your life :)
what you using for the new build?

TimBay

Trade the brakes for a clash box set? I already told you how to use it on the trails, but you weren't keen given the whole wife thing. If you want, I'll break it down for you for domestic use. ;)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Trade the brakes for a clash box set? I already told you how to use it on the trails, but you weren't keen given the whole wife thing. If you want, I'll break it down for you for domestic use. ;)
Sure I'll trade ya... with the Tektro.
If you want the Guides, I'll trade them with you for $150 USD :p

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@TimBay
Just a brakes FYI
There are shimano guys and then there are sram guys because the feel is very different. Shimano is a bit more on and off and easy to lock out. SRAM requires more pull to lock out... or better modulation. You can vary the amount of power applied on the Guides a lot easier. Personally, I am more of a shimano guy which is why I am selling them. If you feel that your SLX is difficult to control, then these are for you.. If you like the fact you can easily lock out the wheels, then you won't like the SRAM.

Also, if you have small hands, Guides might not work for you because it does require more pull.

I don't want to sell you these for the sake of selling them. Rather have you be informed and be happy with your purchase.

Last edited:

TimBay

@TimBay
Just a brakes FYI
There are shimano guys and then there are sram guys because the feel is very different. Shimano is a bit more on and off and easy to lock out. SRAM requires more pull to lock out... or better modulation. You can vary the amount of power applied on the Guides a lot easier. Personally, I am more of a shimano guy which is why I am selling them. If you feel that your SLX is difficult to control, then these are for you.. If you like the fact you can easily lock out the wheels, then you won't like the SRAM.

Also, if you have small hands, Guides might not work for you because it does require more pull.

I don't want to sell you these for the sake of selling them. Rather have you be informed and be happy with your purchase.
Yeah. My problem is I have no clue what I prefer. Ha. I'm rocking the stock tektro, which i think are fine since they stop me and don't lock out at the slightest touch. I dunno. I'm trying not to go down the rabnit hole too much but it's hard because customizing seems fun and new things are cool. I'll prolly hold off unless you wanna trade. I will say, you bring home that box set, the wife will be so impressed, you'll be able to put a second mortgage on your house and buy a 50k carbon monster. Just saying.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Yeah. My problem is I have no clue what I prefer. Ha. I'm rocking the stock tektro, which i think are fine since they stop me and don't lock out at the slightest touch. I dunno. I'm trying not to go down the rabnit hole too much but it's hard because customizing seems fun and new things are cool. I'll prolly hold off unless you wanna trade. I will say, you bring home that box set, the wife will be so impressed, you'll be able to put a second mortgage on your house and buy a 50k carbon monster. Just saying.
Here is a frame of reference. Guides are like Tektro... except that the Guides can actually stop your bike. :)

Here are some pros of the Guides over Shimano
More modulation you have, it's easier to control your speed when your bombing down descents.
On techy sections (I might be the only one who does this) where you really need to control your torque, I brake and pedal at the same time and Guides are great for this.
I suck at downhill switchbacks and Guides help me not lock out on turns when I brake late. You don't want to lock out in these cases. Think ABS on your car.

Come out on some group rides and put a leg over other ppls bikes and start getting a sense of what you like and what you dont like. It will take a bit but it will come.

It took me 5yrs to ride a 29er... and found out I like the 29er better than 27.5 on the chunks lol

TimBay

Here is a frame of reference. Guides are like Tektro... except that the Guides can actually stop your bike. :)

Here are some pros of the Guides over Shimano
More modulation you have, it's easier to control your speed when your bombing down descents.
On techy sections (I might be the only one who does this) where you really need to control your torque, I brake and pedal at the same time and Guides are great for this.
I suck at downhill switchbacks and Guides help me not lock out on turns when I brake late. You don't want to lock out in these cases. Think ABS on your car.

Come out on some group rides and put a leg over other ppls bikes and start getting a sense of what you like and what you dont like. It will take a bit but it will come.

It took me 5yrs to ride a 29er... and found out I like the 29er better than 27.5 on the chunks lol
Thats a really helpful frame of reference. Thanks. Yeah, I'm hoping to get to a ride soon and I'm debating doing the short track race. I'll probably be last in the beginners section, but it would be cool to ride somewhere unique, meet people, and get to say I did a race. You going?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Thats a really helpful frame of reference. Thanks. Yeah, I'm hoping to get to a ride soon and I'm debating doing the short track race. I'll probably be last in the beginners section, but it would be cool to ride somewhere unique, meet people, and get to say I did a race. You going?
Trying to do at least 1 short track this year... just not sure which one. My mom's birthday is on the same weekend as the 1st ST so won't be able to make that one.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Doesn't everyone need a crap bike?
Don't ruin your nice bike when there is rain and snow. Build up the Talon and ride the crap out of it. This was my first bike that i bought new and it has served me well. Take the 9 spd chain and cassette with it and you're almost there! Hit the single track, tow the kids, pick up grocery or whatever.

Did I mention this Talon climbs better than my Hightower?

qclabrat

Do it, I haven't been on a trail since early January. We'll battle for dfl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom