Stan's Race sealant...no bueno?

Totally agree with this.... But @David Taylor's photo shows the liquid is NOT coating the tire. Which Leads me to believe that it's a just bad batch.
I find this is common with my tubeless ready Minions and RRs...the inside of the tires is sealed much tighter...whereas my non tubeless ready ignitors allow the stans to seep into them.

Cool! Thanks for doing the leg work. It'll be a couple more weeks before I pop the bead off and take a look at one of mine.

So, I called Stan's and talked to a guy naned Drew. First thing is @jimvreeland 's replies sounded sarcastic but he was the closest to the truth. The Race formula is made to last days at best and will instantly clog valves or injectors. It was developed for the WC stan's guys a long time ago. It's essentially the same with more filler to fill bigger holes and get you through the race. Being latex it is water based and the filler balls up inside and the liquid will dry up rather quickly. Not recommended for permanent use. It is meant to plug big holes though and not just seal tubeless setups. He couldn't give me a real answer why it coats some tires and not others. He said something like it's too thin and designed to slosh around and find the puncture(don't they all do that?).
I think both products probably work well but after this money I wasted is used up I will switch back to bontrager TLR. It does the same thing yet it's not water based and my one setup lasted over a year with almost the same amount of liquid inside still. I do not see a lot of filler on the bottom of the RACE bottle. The bontrager stuff has a lot that gets stuck on the bottom. I actually have to scrape it before I shake it to get it to mix. That's my info, my reasoning and my conclusion.

So, I called Stan's and talked to a guy naned Drew. First thing is @jimvreeland 's replies sounded sarcastic but he was the closest to the truth. The Race formula is made to last days at best and will instantly clog valves or injectors. It was developed for the WC stan's guys a long time ago. It's essentially the same with more filler to fill bigger holes and get you through the race. Being latex it is water based and the filler balls up inside and the liquid will dry up rather quickly. Not recommended for permanent use. It is meant to plug big holes though and not just seal tubeless setups. He couldn't give me a real answer why it coats some tires and not others. He said something like it's too thin and designed to slosh around and find the puncture(don't they all do that?).
I think both products probably work well but after this money I wasted is used up I will switch back to bontrager TLR. It does the same thing yet it's not water based and my one setup lasted over a year with almost the same amount of liquid inside still. I do not see a lot of filler on the bottom of the RACE bottle. The bontrager stuff has a lot that gets stuck on the bottom. I actually have to scrape it before I shake it to get it to mix. That's my info, my reasoning and my conclusion.
Sounds legit to me.. I will save mine for when I race again in 2017... Thanks DT

Stan's Race sealent sucks period. I was hoping it would help out with cuts on my 27.5 plus bike, did not fill any cuts. I called Stan's they said it's only for race day. They should state that the suff is only good for 1-2 days. The guys at Stan's not use it! I went back to the regular Stan's

Last edited:
The plot thickens.

screen.jpg

My bottle is over 6 months old now, still fine.
Mid tread cuts 1/8-1/4".
Cant say im surprised...1/4in hole is pretty big.

When you guys get a hole in your tire...what process do you do? Like I watch @pooriggy pull over and let the hole face straight up until all of the air is out of the tire...this doesnt work. Pull over, assuming the tire still has air in it...rotate the hole to the bottom to let the fluid run through the hole...air the tire back up again. Hopefully it seals, if it doesnt, move on to plugs/tube.

Thing I find with the sealant...if its a hole big enough that I notice it...usually its because its too big for fluid to seal...The fluid does seal many holes I dont notice...I have seen this when I inadvertently mounted an old tire that was dried out and forgot to put fluid in...had many small holes in it.

Back
Top Bottom