Stan's Race sealant...no bueno?

I've recently refreshed a couple wheelsets with Stan's Race. No issues yet, but that in and of itself means nothing.......Fingers crossed.

So I'm looking at the photo, it looks an awful lot like what happened to me last year. My rear tire was a little soft mid ride and my pump was being uncooperative so I used some co2 to top it off. Yes, I know it's a no no, but I had to do something. Long story short, when I got home I poped the bead off on one side and found a very similar off color watered down puddle of sad looking Stan's. Did the co2 interact with the Stan's? Maybe. Did I go through one too many stream crossing? Perhaps. But it's the only time my Stan's looked like that other than when I used it with a non tubeless tire and left it un-ridden in the garage all winter long.

Any co2 involved in your case?

@David Taylor I started using it in January and have yet to get a flat this year on any bike. Anecdotal evidence of course... But imo... Order of importance
Tires
Pressure
Picking lines
Rims
Then sealant

Tubeless ready tires are way lighter now.. Usually tougher, and the casing is sealed so the stans lasts much longer. Big difference in how often you get flats I found.

I've recently refreshed a couple wheelsets with Stan's Race. No issues yet, but that in and of itself means nothing.......Fingers crossed.

So I'm looking at the photo, it looks an awful lot like what happened to me last year. My rear tire was a little soft mid ride and my pump was being uncooperative so I used some co2 to top it off. Yes, I know it's a no no, but I had to do something. Long story short, when I got home I poped the bead off on one side and found a very similar off color watered down puddle of sad looking Stan's. Did the co2 interact with the Stan's? Maybe. Did I go through one too many stream crossing? Perhaps. But it's the only time my Stan's looked like that other than when I used it with a non tubeless tire and left it un-ridden in the garage all winter long.

Any co2 involved in your case?
No co2. They were mounted the night before Taconic race. I road that race, stew45 and then w101 on the rear( ikon front). I get they are a good sponsor but They need the filler to plug the 1/4" hole thatthey claim can be filled, no? Like i said I never " needed" it the bontrager stuff did fill some good size holes if when i inspect the inside of the tire.

@David Taylor I started using it in January and have yet to get a flat this year on any bike. Anecdotal evidence of course... But imo... Order of importance
Tires
Pressure
Picking lines
Rims
Then sealant

Tubeless ready tires are way lighter now.. Usually tougher, and the casing is sealed so the stans lasts much longer. Big difference in how often you get flats I found.
i always us TR tires

Stan's has been a great sponsor to you guys and I am thankful for them sponsoring. This was just my personal review of a product I tried. Just because a company sponsors doesn't make them the best. Should all supercross athletes use Monster Energy over something like Heed? Probably not. Should they use Camel cigarettes FTW(80s/90s supercross sponsor). I will email stans about this and see what the explanation is. I do like the water based cleanup properties better. TR tires should not bleed from the sidewall BTW.

Stan's has been a great sponsor to you guys and I am thankful for them sponsoring. This was just my personal review of a product I tried. Just because a company sponsors doesn't make them the best. Should all supercross athletes use Monster Energy over something like Heed? Probably not. Should they use Camel cigarettes FTW(80s/90s supercross sponsor). I will email stans about this and see what the explanation is. I do like the water based cleanup properties better. TR tires should not bleed from the sidewall BTW.

Don't listen to Mitch. Nobody is promoting the use of stans just because they sponsor us. We've been using them for years before they sponsored us.

I'm still not sure I understand what is no bueno about your post though.
Did it not seal?

Don't listen to Mitch. Nobody is promoting the use of stans just because they sponsor us. We've been using them for years before they sponsored us.

Did it not seal?
Mitch flats everything so you can't take his word.
WHY ISN'T ANYBODY LISTING TO ME ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did it not seal?

I think @David Taylor's saying that the "new" race sealant goes from "fresh" to "spent" very quickly when compared to regular Stan's.

Based on the photo and timeframe, it's possible that it does. It's also possible that it's just a bad batch.

Either way, it's worth keeping an eye on it for those of us that are using the new "race" formula.

Did it not seal?
I tried to make this post about direct product experience. I saw way too many people that use Stan's regular sealant using plugs for baby size holes. This tells me the regular stuff wasn't too good on more than thorn holes. Bontrager claims 1/4" holes can be filled. I also saw a couple people dnf because the sealant dried up after less than 6 months. I decided to give the stan's race ago as a couple people told me it was greatly improved. Bontrager quart is $25 vs $40 for stans race but I gave it a shot (i am not throwing it away) and will see how it continues to perform in the real world. I will email stans but this is definitely the filler seperating from the liquid. It was a brand new quart sealed from jenson. Maybe it still works, who knows but IMO if the filler is clumped in a ball how will it seal a larger hole? I do tend to pick smoother lines as reflected by my 2 flats in 3 years (or bontrager tlr sealant is that good?). For the record I am looking to buy Stan's valors. This is not an anti Stan's post, just my thoughts on one product.

I think the hot weather has a lot to do with it too. This time of the year I check every few weeks to see how much is still in my tires.
I expect to have to top off my stans every 6 weeks or so.

The race Sealant has to work better because it cost more. It's like buying wine, the more expensive shit is always better.
Also its called RACE Sealant so it will outpetform all leading brands.

Let me know if you need anything else cleared up Zippy.

Sometimes you get unlucky. You stay in this sport long enough you'll wipe out a brand new tire in 1 ride. And the gash will be so big that the only thing that will fill it is cement. Shit happens and no matter how much you pay for the product, sometimes it's not enough.

1/4“ hole is about the diameter of a Bic pen... No fluid short of cement is sealing that. And if it does, it probably won't hold up for very long. Really I have no idea what fluid works best, I never count on fluid to save my day... It keeps the tires sealed up, but fixing gaping holes? Rarely works for me...I really don't expect too much out of sealant with regards to hole patching.

If you ever have a chance to speak with Stan, you will quickly get to know that he is an absolute stickler for perfection. This company does boatloads of testing, and this includes products from all the competition.

Installation is key with the sealant. If you don't shake it up, hold the bottle upsides down and let the solids fall to the bottom, it will not work.

Give these guys a ring. They have fabulous customer support and they likely will be eager to make things right

This is a solid product that basically revolutionized an industry and turned it on it's side. These guys are in it to win it.

Maybe your expectations don't match what the product is meant to do...

I expect it to help seal my tire to run tubeless. That's about it. In regards to punctures, I HOPE it will work and if it doesn't, oh well. If it does, AWESOME and today was my lucky day. There is a part of me that somewhat expects it to seal a tiny puncture enough to make it back to the car.... To expect it to seal a big tear or puncture, I think you may also expect miracles to be reality.

and I opted to not spend the premium for the race formula for the same reasons above.

Just seal my tire so I can run tubeless and low pressures. That in itself is EXCELLENT compared to running high pressure and tubes that pinch flat on a pebble (see my CAT3 racing season)

I tried to make this post about direct product experience. I saw way too many people that use Stan's regular sealant using plugs for baby size holes. This tells me the regular stuff wasn't too good on more than thorn holes. Bontrager claims 1/4" holes can be filled. I also saw a couple people dnf because the sealant dried up after less than 6 months. I decided to give the stan's race ago as a couple people told me it was greatly improved. Bontrager quart is $25 vs $40 for stans race but I gave it a shot (i am not throwing it away) and will see how it continues to perform in the real world. I will email stans but this is definitely the filler seperating from the liquid. It was a brand new quart sealed from jenson. Maybe it still works, who knows but IMO if the filler is clumped in a ball how will it seal a larger hole? I do tend to pick smoother lines as reflected by my 2 flats in 3 years (or bontrager tlr sealant is that good?). For the record I am looking to buy Stan's valors. This is not an anti Stan's post, just my thoughts on one product.

I'm not sure why you don't believe me that the stanimal is not filler. This is something that happens with regular Stan's every single time for the 10000000000000 times that people have used it. People call it stanimal and throw it away after it forms.

In fact, I have never seen any sealant that has "filler" in it. I believe some have crystals, but nothing has chunks of "filler" that can be seen with the eye. Every sealant I have seen is just liquid.

Can Stan's Race really seal a 1/4" hole? I don't know. But if it does, I really don't think it has anything to do with a filler or the stanimal.

I don't think it's unusual that Stan's dries up after 6 months. As @jShort says, he tops his off after every 6 weeks. It may dry up faster than other sealants, I don't know.

Last edited:
Is that a UST tubeless tire or tubeless ready tire? Don't see any dried sealant on the inner casing of the tire. Any time I've removed a tire, there's a skin over most of the surface, and always a stanimal. Inside of my tires usually look similar to this.
continental-RTR-tubeless-tire-sealant-for-mountain-bikes01.jpg

Been using regular Stan's sealant for several years. Like @jShort , I refresh the sealant during hot, dry season every 6-8 weeks. Can go longer during cold temps. Using Maxxis Ardents and/or Ignitors, EXO and TR, on 3 bikes.

Is that a UST tubeless tire or tubeless ready tire? Don't see any dried sealant on the inner casing of the tire. Any time I've removed a tire, there's a skin over most of the surface, and always a stanimal. Inside of my tires usually look similar to this.
continental-RTR-tubeless-tire-sealant-for-mountain-bikes01.jpg

Been using regular Stan's sealant for several years. Like @jShort , I refresh the sealant during hot, dry season every 6-8 weeks. Can go longer during cold temps. Using Maxxis Ardents and/or Ignitors, EXO and TR, on 3 bikes.

Totally agree with this.... But @David Taylor's photo shows the liquid is NOT coating the tire. Which Leads me to believe that it's a just bad batch.

Back
Top Bottom