Stan's Race sealant...no bueno?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
image.jpg
So I spent the $40 on the new "race" sealant. So far I am not very impressed with it. Two tires, don't at two different times both ended up like this with the filler separating from the liquid. Anyone else have this happen? I may switch back to Bontraget TLR as it was always good to me. @jimvreeland

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 197
with the filler separating from the liquid

Are you talking about the stanimal on the left side of your photo? That is normal for the regular Stan's fluid. I never tried Stan's Race, but I'd assume it is normal for that as well. I don't really see anything wrong with the picture you posted?

I've tried both regular Stan's and TruckerCo and for me I didn't think one was any better than the other in terms of sealing holes and getting the tire mounted.

One thing that's unique about Stan's is the formation of the stanimal and it also stays together while you peel it off from your tire. So it's easier to clean up your tire after it has dried up, if you wish to do so.

The TruckerCo stuff sticks to your tire like glue and coats it like latex and it's a pain in the butt to take off because it doesn't stay together as you peel it. If you keep on filling your tire with that stuff, it will get thicker and thicker and thicker on your tire. So it's probably not great from a weight perspective, but it might seal better, although I could never really tell.

Last edited:
So the stanimal mean the stans won't seal anymore? I'm confused

So the stanimal mean the stans won't seal anymore? I'm confused
No, I didn't say that BUT if all the filler that is supposed to plug the hole is not mixed with the liquid because it's in a ball well it doesn't give me much faith. The tire wasn't even coated.

I'm retired but I told anyone that would listen to switch to Orange Seal. I rode the 'less than puncture resistant' Racing Ralphs exclusively and Orange Seal was the only thing that would work for me. I've tried Cafe Latex and Stans (old and new formulas). Stans was the standard but after 2 punctures in 2 rides spewing out Stans, I threw some Orange Seal in and I was sold. Even if they all sealed up the same, the OS dries the cleanest with zero clumps.

Results may vary but IME OS > Stans > CL

I think when they say "Race Formula" they mean it takes the length of a race to completely dry up and be totally useless.

I think when they say "Race Formula" they mean it takes the length of a race to completely dry up and be totally useless.
Haha shitttttttt

We should do a segment where you give products tag lines based on your experiences, wood be interesting

No, I didn't say that BUT if all the filler that is supposed to plug the hole is not mixed with the liquid because it's in a ball well it doesn't give me much faith. The tire wasn't even coated.

The stanimal is not filler. It is just a by-product of the liquid swooshing around and drying up. The liquid goes into the pores or holes in the tire and dries up thereby sealing the tire. That is the way regular Stans works.

Again I have not used the race version but from your description it kind of sounds like a Stan's "Lite" and maybe it dries up faster into a stanimal. Maybe that's the way its intended to function. Maybe it's supposed just plug the holes and not coat the tire like all the other sealants do.

Time will tell if it actually works or people start blowing off tires and stop using it I guess.

Last edited:
The stanimal is not filler. It is just a by-product of the liquid swooshing around and drying up. The liquid goes into the pores or holes in the tire and dries up thereby sealing the tire. That is the way regular Stans works.

Again I have not used the race version but from your description it kind of sounds like a Stan's "Lite" and maybe it dries up faster into a stanimal. Maybe that's the way its intended to function. Maybe it's supposed just plug the holes and not coat the tire like all the other sealants do.

Time will tell if it actually works or people start blowing off tires and stop using it I guess.
Hmmmm, I don't think it should be drying up in a sealed stmoshpere? I'll give it a shot as it's all I have now and don't want to drop any more $. Honestly, I just started using it because people told me it had more fiber in it. I really have only had two flats in three years since going tubeless. First was a 3/4" stick through the fat bike tread and the other was the sidewall tear, but my slow ass wasn't smart enough to let the bontrager stuff lay over the hole so i just ttied to milk it back to the lot.

its not sealed, the air will always seep through the sidewalls. thats why it dries up. put some glitter or whatever @mattybfat did when he was moonshining his own goo

Hmmmm, I don't think it should be drying up in a sealed stmoshpere? I'll give it a shot as it's all I have now and don't want to drop any more $. Honestly, I just started using it because people told me it had more fiber in it. I really have only had two flats in three years since going tubeless. First was a 3/4" stick through the fat bike tread and the other was the sidewall tear, but my slow ass wasn't smart enough to let the bontrager stuff lay over the hole so i just ttied to milk it back to the lot.

What did you use before you used Stans Race?

Ghetto or go home!
So simple it's stupid, literally dries into interior inner tube.
That said I bought 2 quarts of Race because it's a sponsor but haven't even used it. Seems any stans goo I get is put in the unmechanical friends wheels :)

Back
Top Bottom