SS 29r or 27.5?

qclabrat

Is there a benefit for one over the other?
Seems like most SS setups here are 29r
not thinking plus sized tires

Attack angle in relation to obstacles is likely going to make conservation of momentum easier, which is fairly important for SS.

why not?

we are only giving you as much information as you are giving us ;)
fair enough
I have two bikes setup singlespeed at the moment, both are 26"
Going to sell off both and looking for a more contemporary replacement, but not sure which tire size to start with.
Also should I just slap on tensioners or get sliding drops to a hardtail? Are single speed spec'd frames and setups much different from geared versions?
I feel like I'm even overthinking a SS...

Are single speed spec'd frames and setups much different from geared versions?
Same as geared bikes but they don't have gears. Also SS bikes require a means of tensioning the chain, they use an ebb or slider system to do this. Most SS these days use a slider. If you Google this there are pictures you can look at.
SS is required for Allaire, 6 Mile, Stewart...

since you have no budget, get a custom made seven that is boost so you can run 29 or 27.5 or 27.5+

I thought you were keeping the gunpowder dry for a new FS bike? What happened to that?
still am, the cushy compliant bike will be my next and I think I've asked enough of my share of questions on that
so moving on to research on the next already, I'm an analyst by trade and work is slow at the moment...

fair enough
I have two bikes setup singlespeed at the moment, both are 26"
Going to sell off both and looking for a more contemporary replacement, but not sure which tire size to start with.
Also should I just slap on tensioners or get sliding drops to a hardtail? Are single speed spec'd frames and setups much different from geared versions?
I feel like I'm even overthinking a SS...

Kludges look/perform terrible, as (most) people eventually find out. Tensioners are to be avoided like the plague; I would recommend (in order of preference) either a bike with sliders, [semi] horizontal dropouts, or an eccentric bottom bracket. For that "special" frame that otherwise has it all, both Phil and Trickstuff make a special eccentric bottom bracket that can be put into an English threaded frame, but they are $$$. The Phil needs special tools to install, and they will only sell it to a bike shop, so even more $$$. You can install the Trickstuff one without their special tool, but it is not easy to do (you need a burly pin spanner, or to make your own out of bar stock and a file).

The only time I would consider a tensioner would be with a full suspension bike...

Back
Top Bottom