Sram X7 rear help

whtbread

I took the X7 rear derailleur off my old bike, on which it worked fine and put it on my new bike and now there are some problems. The biggest problem is it will not go from a larger cog in the back to a smaller one, even with the cable disconnected. Can anyone help or get me pointed in the right direction? I also switched to the Shimano CS-HG61 29er Cassette. Not sure if that is causing the problem or not.

Shot in the dark: is it a medium cage or long? If it's anything like a road der. then the cassette size might be a limiting factor. But then it's late and I'm a horrible mechanic...

Shot in the dark: is it a medium cage or long? If it's anything like a road der. then the cassette size might be a limiting factor. But then it's late and I'm a horrible mechanic...
Ive been looking at other der and they say max 34 t and this is a 36 t cassette.

So it won't go from the 36 to the 32 or it doesn't matter what gear, just won't go down in general? If it's getting hung up in the 36, you probably need to tighten the b-limit screw so that the upper pulley isn't dragging on the cassette.

If it's just generally not dropping to smaller cogs, there is either a bent or contaminated pin or bushings in the parallelogram which you can't do much about.

Der hang up

Ditto.......Adjust beta screw in.....
I am assuming that the shifter is Sram, if not it should be...
Check the bearing on the upper pulley, change if loose side to side.....
Check cable grim in housing....
All else fails check for bent der hanger

So it won't go from the 36 to the 32 or it doesn't matter what gear, just won't go down in general? If it's getting hung up in the 36, you probably need to tighten the b-limit screw so that the upper pulley isn't dragging on the cassette.

If it's just generally not dropping to smaller cogs, there is either a bent or contaminated pin or bushings in the parallelogram which you can't do much about.

Ditto.......Adjust beta screw in.....
I am assuming that the shifter is Sram, if not it should be...
Check the bearing on the upper pulley, change if loose side to side.....
Check cable grim in housing....
All else fails check for bent der hanger
Thanks guys. I will get it going :)

shot in the dark here- Check that the crank line is the same on both bikes. My friend just had this problem on his build. He had a local mechanic install his bottom bracket and the guy forgot to take out a spacer or something and it was throwing off the chainline. We were beating our heads trying to get his rear der dialed in but no-go so he took it to his regular mechanic and thats when we (well the regular mechanic) found the problem- the spacer. He took it out and in two minutes he had it shifting smooth.

shot in the dark here- Check that the crank line is the same on both bikes. My friend just had this problem on his build. He had a local mechanic install his bottom bracket and the guy forgot to take out a spacer or something and it was throwing off the chainline. We were beating our heads trying to get his rear der dialed in but no-go so he took it to his regular mechanic and thats when we (well the regular mechanic) found the problem- the spacer. He took it out and in two minutes he had it shifting smooth.

Thanks, I took the advice of some of the other guys on here and have worked most of the problems out. Now it just has a bit of ghost shifting. The good news is that over my past 3 rides I have really been riding it like a ss and liked it :). Hmm maybe my next bike

Back
Top Bottom