Spring 2017 mtb tires thread

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Here's my opinion. Schwalbe RRs are great but $/longevity is THE WORST. Conti mountain kings are a nice tire...they IMPLODE though...JUNK. Maxxis anythin. FTW. I run Ardent 2.4 exo trs on my rigid ss. Durability, traction, longevity are second to none and they make a rigid bike for suspended in a sense. I am running crossmark 2 2.1s in my fs and they seem good. Mentally I have a block as I feel like they won't hold a line but so far they have. Ultimately I will be replacing the crossmarks with Ardent Race 2.35s. My 2.4s are 2 years old with almost sero issues and still plenty of life.

+1 on the Maxxis.

qclabrat

Here's my opinion. Schwalbe RRs are great but $/longevity is THE WORST. Conti mountain kings are a nice tire...they IMPLODE though...JUNK. Maxxis anythin. FTW. I run Ardent 2.4 exo trs on my rigid ss. Durability, traction, longevity are second to none and they make a rigid bike for suspended in a sense. I am running crossmark 2 2.1s in my fs and they seem good. Mentally I have a block as I feel like they won't hold a line but so far they have. Ultimately I will be replacing the crossmarks with Ardent Race 2.35s. My 2.4s are 2 years old with almost sero issues and still plenty of life.
do you think a SS should run faster tires since you're going to need more watts across the length of a ride? For example, like them or not, Hans Dampf would be a terrible tire to pair with a SS

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
do you think a SS should run faster tires since you're going to need more watts across the length of a ride? For example, like them or not, Hans Dampf would be a terrible tire to pair with a SS
Yes. SS is an inertia bike.

ReverendNewman

say what? Weren't you going to ride Chimney or Sourlands with the Ex8..... That's not a good tire choice for either park
Noooooo. Those Schwabble tires are just for cruising up and down the strip in Belmar, etc. Just kinda my very expensive cruiser. I just sold my Fuel EX FS 27.5. So whatever my fat bike can or can't do, that's it. I was thinking about buying another set of wheels/tires for my 29'er. When and if that happens.

moray42

Merman
+1 on the Maxxis.
I'm back to trying mountain kings. No time on this pair yet. I liked the tread on the ignitors well enough, but right from the start they were undersized for what they were supposed to be. And then less than a year in they began weeping sealant thru the sidewalls (TLR tires). Incidentally, I will soon have a pair of 29x2.35 ignitors up for sale soon for tubed use.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I'm back to trying mountain kings. No time on this pair yet. I liked the tread on the ignitors well enough, but right from the start they were undersized for what they were supposed to be. And then less than a year in they began weeping sealant thru the sidewalls (TLR tires). Incidentally, I will soon have a pair of 29x2.35 ignitors up for sale soon for tubed use.

Agree, Ignitors are probably the most undersized tire of the Maxxis MTB line. You either love the tread pattern or hate it. Personally, I always preferred an Ardent up front (the 2.4) and either an Icon or Ardent Race in back.

Fun Fact: Maxxis measures their tires when inflated to the maximum pressure listed on the casing.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Schwalbe just released four new ADDIX compounds. Supposed to be better grip and wear that PaceStar and TrailStar. That said, all the old versions that used to be $95-100 are now $80 on their website. The new ADDIX look like the MSRP is $92, but I only looked at the Racing Ralph's.

jumpa

Trying out the dhf 2.5 and dhr 2.4 wide trail with the 3c compound this season. Probably on rims way to narrow for what they here intended for. Bike is multi use (trail and lift assisted parks) so I opted for the minions.

So far I'm really liking them. The WT version seems to put the outside knobs a little bit closer to the center tread. I'm finding that there is a less of that dead spot feel when rolling the tire over In a turn before it grips vs the non wt minions. Also don't feel like I have to lean the bike as aggressivly for grip. The 3c compound is also way softer then the duel compound. I've been Missing out.

This is my first time on any dhr. Grip is great. Not as fast as my Conti trail kings that I clipped the knobs down on the rear or my ardents. But I'm also not drifting on turns as much as I did on the ardents. Good or bad thing. Your call.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Trying out the dhf 2.5 and dhr 2.4 wide trail with the 3c compound this season. Probably on rims way to narrow for what they here intended for. Bike is multi use (trail and lift assisted parks) so I opted for the minions.

So far I'm really liking them. The WT version seems to put the outside knobs a little bit closer to the center tread. I'm finding that there is a less of that dead spot feel when rolling the tire over In a turn before it grips vs the non wt minions. Also don't feel like I have to lean the bike as aggressivly for grip. The 3c compound is also way softer then the duel compound. I've been Missing out.

This is my first time on any dhr. Grip is great. Not as fast as my Conti trail kings that I clipped the knobs down on the rear or my ardents. But I'm also not drifting on turns as much as I did on the ardents. Good or bad thing. Your call.

I just put a minion 2.5 WT on the front, replacing a Trail King 2.4. I let the dude who built my wheels talk me into trying the Trail Kings. Trail King on the front doesn't come close to the Minion, in any scenario. Putting an Aggressor on the back, should have never let anyone talk me out of Maxxis. I briefly tried a Nobby Nic on the back because I got it for free, what a piece of shit that was.

jumpa

I've only rode them one time. But I really like the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 TR EXO. They roll fast and corner great!

I'm a fan of the ardent as a general trail tire for sure. But I have a tendency to come in hot on alot of turns so the extra wide knobs felt fitting. If I get another bike , somthing like in the 120/130 range I would go back to ardents front and rear without hesitation. The minions are bricks

I just put a minion 2.5 WT on the front, replacing a Trail King 2.4. I let the dude who built my wheels talk me into trying the Trail Kings. Trail King on the front doesn't come close to the Minion, in any scenario. Putting an Aggressor on the back, should have never let anyone talk me out of Maxxis. I briefly tried a Nobby Nic on the back because I got it for free, what a piece of shit that was.

Trail kings weren't bad. I was on a hand me down used set. The sidewalls got absolutely destroyed during my trip to moab though.

Every time I try someones bike out with different tires or have a demo I always find myself wishing it had maxxis tires. I guess I just got use to how they ride.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I’ve had the Minion 2.5WT 3C Exo on the front for a while now, and can say that it blows the Trail King away in every way. I feel this is an apples to apples comparison because the Trail King is also a heavy 2.4” tire. This thing just bites into every corner, feels like it rolls the same (on the front), and has beefier sidewalls in 60tpi. The 120tpi casing must be bombproof. In all this tire is way more confidence inspiring, especially in the turns.

Rocksrgood4u

I have several conti tires with the lovely furry sidewalls. Have >1000 miles on one pair with no issues. Just fur from sliding off rocks...

jumpa

I’ve had the Minion 2.5WT 3C Exo on the front for a while now, and can say that it blows the Trail King away in every way. I feel this is an apples to apples comparison because the Trail King is also a heavy 2.4” tire. This thing just bites into every corner, feels like it rolls the same (on the front), and has beefier sidewalls in 60tpi. The 120tpi casing must be bombproof. In all this tire is way more confidence inspiring, especially in the turns.

Felt like my trail kings rolled faster. Never did a roll down test though ..so this opinion isn't worth much haha. Grip in the corner, hands down, to the minion .

kichibot

I like these. They're very springy.
IMG_20170502_180043_003.jpg

Top Bottom