Spring 2017 mtb tires thread

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
20170322_182733.jpg
safe to say I have a tire issue , that aside looking foward to trying out magic marry and rock razor in the super gravity casing

Blair

I'm waiting for the new Recon+ 29 x 2.6 to come out. I want more than a 2.4 up front on the rigid SS but the 3.0 chronicle I have is just too big. It messes up the geo cuz the biggest I can get in the back is a 2.35. I tried the minion 2.5 but it felt like I was dragging the front brake the whole time.
I was looking at going bigger in the front with the conti x king 2.4 or minion 2.5 but then I feel it's like you said with weight getting excessive for xc/ am use. I don't see any other decent 2.4 tires.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
As Much as I don't like to support Specialized, their tires are the best deal ever. Bunch of tread options and most of them are $55 and under. I recently went back to them and they are excellent and have nice supple sidewalls. Some peopl tear them but I never had that issue.

I also went back to chunky tire on the front. I am running a 27.5 2.3 purgatory on the front and a 2.1 ground control on the rear. These tires will take you anywhere.

qclabrat

I was looking at going bigger in the front with the conti x king 2.4 or minion 2.5 but then I feel it's like you said with weight getting excessive for xc/ am use. I don't see any other decent 2.4 tires.
I also have a set of fat alberts coming. They were only $10 a piece so I figured to give them a try. 2.4 front and 2.25 rears. They will probably go on the weight weenie HT

qclabrat

As Much as I don't like to support Specialized, their tires are the best deal ever. Bunch of tread options and most of them are $55 and under. I recently went back to them and they are excellent and have nice supple sidewalls. Some peopl tear them but I never had that issue.

I also went back to chunky tire on the front. I am running a 27.5 2.3 purgatory on the front and a 2.1 ground control on the rear. These tires will take you anywhere.

I'm in the same opinion as you for the Specialized company, but their The Captain tires are one of the most solid tires I've had. I had a set of 3 and after rotating a few times, they are finally past their useful life.

wonderturtle

I got kenda slant six front and back on geared. Cheap and got no complaints.

Geax saguaro back on ss. Also cheap no complaints. Gonna put nobby nic up front so no report yet

qclabrat

I got kenda slant six front and back on geared. Cheap and got no complaints.

Geax saguaro back on ss. Also cheap no complaints. Gonna put nobby nic up front so no report yet
where i ride, slant sixes are no good till summer
they roll fast but don't like even the slightest mud

goldsbar

As Much as I don't like to support Specialized, their tires are the best deal ever. Bunch of tread options and most of them are $55 and under. I recently went back to them and they are excellent and have nice supple sidewalls. Some peopel tear them but I never had that issue.

I've torn one or two at Wildcat/Splitrock, but that place has rocks that are harder and sharper than anywhere else I've ridden. They were fine in other parks.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
why, the Tomahawks are much more aggressive
Will you be swapping out for summer/fall?

Walt,

Just to follow up... the reason for the Tomahawks was the intention of riding more "lumpy" trails this spring. So, where do I go for the first ride? Why Allaire of course.o_O

Well, since "the great melt of 2017" is turning most parks to soup; and I have zero interest in ever going to RV....the higher sections of Allaire seems the safest thing to do.

You know what? They roll a heck of a lot better than I expected they would there. The center knobs are not as pronounced as you'd expect for this class of tire and the knobs are ramped and angled with a fair amount of open space between the repeating pattern. The side lugs are ginormous! But because they have this odd shape and stepped configuration, they don't noticeably engage until you lean the bike over...then Velcro.... But they don't seem to zap your speed like you'd expect.

I have the TR EXO's and even with the added sidewall protection, they're really friggen supple. Don't know about wear yet, but I'm very pleasantly surprised so far.

More then I get someplace more ...uh...abrasive.:rolleyes:

ReverendNewman

So what is everybody using this Spring?
Obviously conditions and locations dictate the setup, but do your tire choices change depending on your bike? (lets talk regular tires, not fat) Meaning, is there a reason you would choose different tires for a SS vs FS vs HT if the tire size is the same, riding in the same park and conditions.

Here's what I plan to start with this season:

FS: Hans Dampf front, Nobby Nic rear
SS: Racing Ralph front and rear
HT: Nobby Nic front, Geax Gato rear

Dampfs are Trailstar and Nics and Ralphs are Pacestar

Barbegazi's on my Farley 9.9. Why mess with a great stock setup?

Schwabble Big Ones on my Fuel EX 8 FS 29'er

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I can't believe you jokers actually change your tires out between the seasons. My Minions stay on year round. And I never cheap out on tires. You can have the best bike, suspension, etc, but crappy tires will make it all feel like shit outside of the parking lot, whereas good tires are the cheapest way to upgrade your ride.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Here's my opinion. Schwalbe RRs are great but $/longevity is THE WORST. Conti mountain kings are a nice tire...they IMPLODE though...JUNK. Maxxis anythin. FTW. I run Ardent 2.4 exo trs on my rigid ss. Durability, traction, longevity are second to none and they make a rigid bike for suspended in a sense. I am running crossmark 2 2.1s in my fs and they seem good. Mentally I have a block as I feel like they won't hold a line but so far they have. Ultimately I will be replacing the crossmarks with Ardent Race 2.35s. My 2.4s are 2 years old with almost sero issues and still plenty of life.

Top Bottom